How do I pwn (hem, adopt) an abandoned cache?

TOPONA

Hello all.

I have an house nearby this cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=06ad4dfc-6788-40c6-a249-2154f155fabe

I found it (the cache, not the house); and it's in very bad conditions; moreover there's a spot a few steps away from it that is by far nicer (and mostly hidden: you don't go there unless you know it already or unless you're... geocaching). That's a panoramic view over some of the most beautiful peaks of the alps (mount Adamello as the most important one).

I contacted the owner of that cache to ask him if I could maintain it - to replace the box, and eventually move it to what I think is a way cooler location - but I got no answer.

I contacted him again after some weeks: still no answer.

I would really like to own that cache and improve it being it abandoned (the box is crushed).

Is there any way I can adopt that cache if the owner is not replying anyways?

Thanks!!

Edited by TOPONI

You can't adopt it without the owner's consent - The owner has to make the adoption happen by sending you the adoption email.

So... what to do?

You have the choice of either being a "friend" to the cache and doing some maintenance yourself (for no recognition) or, alternatively, you can move on to the next stage - Put a Needs Archive log on the cache. Needs Archive logs go to the cache owner and also the local reviewer, so they are alerted to the situation. Usually the reviewer gives the owner a few weeks to do the necessary maintenance. If nothing is done then the cache may be Archived from the site. This frees up the location for a new cache to be placed there.

MrsB :)

Hello all.

I have an house nearby this cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=06ad4dfc-6788-40c6-a249-2154f155fabe

I found it (the cache, not the house); and it's in very bad conditions; moreover there's a spot a few steps away from it that is by far nicer (and mostly hidden: you don't go there unless you know it already or unless you're... geocaching). That's a panoramic view over some of the most beautiful peaks of the alps (mount Adamello as the most important one).

I contacted the owner of that cache to ask him if I could maintain it - to replace the box, and eventually move it to what I think is a way cooler location - but I got no answer.

I contacted him again after some weeks: still no answer.

I would really like to own that cache and improve it being it abandoned (the box is crushed).

Is there any way I can adopt that cache if the owner is not replying anyways?

Thanks!!

The adoption process needs to be initiated by the cache owner:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=54

The owner of that cache logged in yesterday. He/she is active and should be aware of the Needs Maintenance note you posted back in April. You volunteered to take care of or adopt the cache back then in your NM log, and he/she hasn't contacted you.

Your options are to either post a Needs Archived note to force the Reviewer to take action or to put the cache on your watchlist and just wait and see what happens.

Doing the maintenance voluntarily seems like a bad idea in this case.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

You can't adopt it without the owner's consent - The owner has to make the adoption happen by sending you the adoption email.

So... what to do?

You have the choice of either being a "friend" to the cache and doing some maintenance yourself (for no recognition) or, alternatively, you can move on to the next stage - Put a Needs Archive log on the cache. Needs Archive logs go to the cache owner and also the local reviewer, so they are alerted to the situation. Usually the reviewer gives the owner a few weeks to do the necessary maintenance. If nothing is done then the cache may be Archived from the site. This frees up the location for a new cache to be placed there.

MrsB :)

I think the second choice is best. The owner obviously doese't care about the cache or he'd respond to your emails and the needs maintenance note. If you fixed it up then you are only perpetuating an unmaintained cache. In this case the best avenue is to have it archived, then you can place your own cache wherever you want.

Edited by briansnat

Thank you all for your kind comments. I am going to ask for that cache archiving. Let's see what will happen then.

Cheers!

I see that your local reviewer has given the CO 2 months to sort the cache out, otherwise it will be archived.

If you hope to put your own new cache at the location it would be a good idea to set up your basic cache page now, with the coordinates at, or very near, the old location. Create the cache page and get your new GC number for the cache, but (obviously) don't submit it for review yet. By doing this you'll be temporarily reserving the location for your future use.

Of course, it's always possible that the threat of archive from the reviewer may be just what the CO needed to spur them into action to repair their old cache... :laughing:

MrsB