"Wet Cache"

ifen27

I was wondering what the general feeling was about "wet Caches" or a cache placed underwater. There is a large creek very close to me with some eddies and still waters behind big boulders that would be perfect to place a cache. Is this illegal or unappreciated? Also, if such a cache is allowed, is is there any protocol as to how to place/prepare it? Any positive feedback would be greatly appreciated. :huh:

Sounds fun, my primary concern would be safety. Something to think about: does the water in the creek get significantly higher/lower at certain times of the year? For permission, you'd have to ask whoever the land manager is. For what container to use, there are a number of threads discussing this. Search for 'underwater caches'. Good luck!

I say go for it. As was said before, make sure the cache container will keep things dry. Check this one out that a couple of us did a few weeks ago: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1FKVZ. The container is actually a Thermos bottle with straight sides. People who work around the cache know it's there as do a number of fishermen. They usually will wave when they see "those crazy geocachers" wading out to get it. Not exactly a muggle-free zone but :ph34r: skills not required.

I say it depends alot on the area,

I would not look underwater in a swamp in FL for a cache

not even close to it !!

we have been arround many ponds and lakes in FL, and seen MANY signs

DONT GO CLOSE TO WATER

oh and another thing: all underwater caches will get wet, lost, broken

and drive their CO and visitors mad due to endless need service !

if you want to add underwater fun to your cache,

put a waypoint number underwater, and locate your cache a dry place.

They are certainly allowed and can be a lot of fun. The chief issue would be finding a container that would keep the contents dry.

Another alternative would be to anchor a plaque or similar device with the coords for a cache on dry land. That way you don't have to worry about finding a container that will keep the cache dry.

They are certainly allowed and can be a lot of fun. The chief issue would be finding a container that would keep the contents dry.

Another alternative would be to anchor a plaque or similar device with the coords for a cache on dry land. That way you don't have to worry about finding a container that will keep the cache dry.

Around here half the cachers would just tell each other where the final was... essentially cheating.

Go for it....

Just make sure the container will stay in place and stay dry. Just remember, creeks & rivers will change in intensity and water level. Currents can and will get stronger, flooding can occur....

I have found several caches underwater in creeks & ponds. Some of them have been temp disabled due to flooding and they 'washed away'.

One cache - a 5/5 cache - isn't really a 5/5 in August when water levels are low. You can walk out to it. The whole idea is you need to use a kayak to get to it. And actually, you need to be out of the kayak to retrieve it (its in 3' deep water in August). The container has two weighted points. A 50lb weight upstream with a chain attached to another weight 30lb. The cache container (small black pelican case) is attached to the 30lb weight with a lightweight cable. When we found it, it was floating about 1.5' above the ground and looked like a fish waving in the current.

I've also seen large rocks drilled out and bison tubes glued inside. I've seen rocks with specialty screws in them for rings to attache bigger bison tubes.

The sky is the limit....Just make sure you make the container & attach points suitable to the area. Rate the cache accordingly and give plenty of warnings to cache finders (attribute) of what they need to do.

If it were me....I would keep an eye on water levels & conditions and temporarily disable the cache if water levels are dangerous or flooding could occur.

Edited by Lieblweb