...it STILL hasn't been found?!?

jamin8

"Beaver Moss" is a 3/3 Micro deep in the woods. Some/Most people won't search for a micro more then a few feet from the car.

"Cove Cache" looks great, I know I'd go after it.

I think your problem is only two caches in the middle of nowhere with very few other caches nearby to make it worth the day trip.

EDIT: I'd hide a small cache near the parking and another just down the trail. I know near me a "Letterbox Hybrid" cache will draw people in for the rare icon.

Edited by Downy288

You have placed two caches in a remote area with not many others around. Sad to say those will get visited less often than if you had placed them in a Wal-Mart parking lot. However, while you will still get a few TFTCs, most of the logs will be from people who appreciate the hike, location, view, etc. Don't get discouraged. Be proud that you have placed great caches in a great location.

You have placed two caches in a remote area with not many others around. Sad to say those will get visited less often than if you had placed them in a Wal-Mart parking lot. However, while you will still get a few TFTCs, most of the logs will be from people who appreciate the hike, location, view, etc. Don't get discouraged. Be proud that you have placed great caches in a great location.

I agree. I wish more people would be happy hiding a cache or two near a "clear sparkling lake" and not the 10-15 that are in EVERY lamp post in the parking lot!

Not many caches out there-I wouldn't spend the $20 or so on gas to go after JUST 2 caches. Even if the place is visited a lot it may not have a lot of finds. It's in a remote area. For example there is a well known campground and Provincial recreation area near where I am, and it has a few caches but they can log less than 10 finds per year. One I think had 7 finds in 3 years. The park sees a lot of visitors and traffic. Yet I have one in town that has been active since March 1st this year, with 37 finds. Something about the remoteness people don't like maybe?

edit to add the longest time between publishing here and the FTF was about 10 years. Geocaching did a small story on that a month or so ago.

Edited by T.D.M.22

"Beaver Moss" is a 3/3 Micro deep in the woods. Some/Most people won't search for a micro more then a few feet from the car.

"Cove Cache" looks great, I know I'd go after it.

I think your problem is only two caches in the middle of nowhere with very few other caches nearby to make it worth the day trip.

EDIT: I'd hide a small cache near the parking and another just down the trail. I know near me a "Letterbox Hybrid" cache will draw people in for the rare icon.

Also, those two caches where listed only a month ago. The last finds on the surrounding caches are two months ago. I wouldn't be concerned. It looks like to me that there just hasn't been anyone geocaching in the area for a couple of months.

I have a cache that I placed over five years ago. It's had three finds by the only three people that have tried to look for it. I'm kind of proud of it.

I placed one in June, one mile hike on level terrain on the outskirts of a busy metro area that has one of the most notorious FTF hounds in the region. Lots of caches on the trail but almost everyone has found all of the others. It took over a week before someone went and looked for it. Unfortunately, there are a lot of cachers that just wont put in the effort for a single cache.

I have a cache that I placed over five years ago. It's had three finds by the only three people that have tried to look for it. I'm kind of proud of it.

I placed one in June, one mile hike on level terrain on the outskirts of a busy metro area that has one of the most notorious FTF hounds in the region. Lots of caches on the trail but almost everyone has found all of the others. It took over a week before someone went and looked for it. Unfortunately, there are a lot of cachers that just wont put in the effort for a single cache.

Same here as well.

I had hiked 14 miles round trip from the nearest trailhead for just one cache. Would I do it again? Yes I would.

some make caches:

to be found by many.

to be found by less.

to be found by few.

to not be found at all.

you can do it exactly like you want, enjoy your freedom man :-)

if your area is great, your caches are great,

and you like to attract a few more visitors ?

then I suggest:

NOT to make a micro in the woods, (The name alone will not attract me)

make small-large, and make a few or even alot more in the area,

starting from a good parking lot, and then longer and longer into the nice woods,

then you "trick" them to take a nice hike.

you see after some time,

if you get more and more finds on the caches, the closer and closer to the parking they are located ?

oh another thing I forgot to mention:

some old timers are a little affraight of caches made by beginners,

you found only 17 caches and placed 4, I dont say this apply to you (offcourse not)

but I do find caches made by beginners to be more often,

way off, or full of errors, or just placed a bad non interesting location and such.

Good luck.

Edited by OZ2CPU

Have to agree with a lot of the others who posted... if your caches are in out of the way places it may take a while before someone decides to take a trip out there to look for them. We found that out with our first couple of caches. We live in a very rural area with very few cache hides so we figured that by putting caches out there people would flock to visit this area. Nope. Realizing that people need a reason to come out our way we started putting more caches in the area so that someone doing a query would see that there are several to find and worth the trip. We still don't get a lot of visits but we think that our caches are unique in both location and the hide itself that we are willing to keep them up for those willing to make the trip.

They look like great caches. By the nature of the location they won't get a lot of finds but I'm sure the people who do find them will probably thoroughly enjoy them.

I'm sure Rusty O'Junk and the NYCRG and GeoLobo and the Blue Line Geocachers already have their eyes on these. I wouldn't be surprised if you see them logging before the month is out.

Edited by briansnat

Same here as well.

I had hiked 14 miles round trip from the nearest trailhead for just one cache. Would I do it again? Yes I would.

I'm kind of in the middle on this. I like to hike and I like to find geocaches. My body is not the same as when I started this and I just can't seem to do a 15 mile hike every single Saturday like I used to, so when I'm looking at the map, my eyes are drawn to the trails that have lots of unfound caches on them.

I do know that if a new, single cache popped up in an area I hadn't been to before and it looked like I could handle the terrain, I'd be off and running.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of cachers that just wont put in the effort for a single cache.

Agreed. Of course, it helps if there's a reason to make the effort other than a cache.

Yesterday, we did a 5-mile hike with over 1,000 feet of climbing with a single cache. We DNFed it, but that was fine because we enjoyed all the great scenery along the way. We might revisit that cache later in the summer when there's less snow at GZ.

If I lived nearby I would go for your caches. Having a nice geographic feature like a lake is almost as much motivation as the cache itself! At least for me it is. Just yesterday I drove for nearly 30 minutes to find a single cache on an awesome outcrop overlooking a major river in my area.

I wouldn't lose hope, people will find them soon enough.

Tell ya what, send me $ for air fare from VA and I'll be your huckleberry ;)

It is pretty far out of the way. If I had another reason to be in the area of the Sacandaga, I'd probably go after them. Or if there were more on that same trail system. Get a few more out there, especially regulars or larges, and people will eventually come for them. Maybe a trail circumnavigating the lake?

Its been a very long time since ive put two geocaches up and they still have not been found....Anyone having a similar problem?

I have a little-visited cache, but that's by design -- it's a puzzle, and it's in a park that for some silly reason still has a $10 parking fee for out-of-county vehicles.

I sometimes see a cache never found, and consider reasons to go (after I decide why nobody has attempted it). But your caches have only been there for a month. Are the local cachers very active?

Its been a very long time since ive put two geocaches up and they still have not been found....Anyone having a similar problem?

I have a little-visited cache, but that's by design -- it's a puzzle, and it's in a park that for some silly reason still has a $10 parking fee for out-of-county vehicles.

I sometimes see a cache never found, and consider reasons to go (after I decide why nobody has attempted it). But your caches have only been there for a month. Are the local cachers very active?

I have roughly 275 active caches. I bet at least a third of them only get a handful of finds every year. Ya know what, I think most of those are among my best caches. The logs for those caches tell me that those who do find them thoroughly enjoy them. That's why I put them there.

I recently did a challenge where you had to have 20 caches which were found less than 10 times in their first year and you had to be in the top 10 of finds. I was amazed how many caches have less than 10 finds in their first year.

sure you dont mean the 15.10.1 challenge? You need 15 such caches. Oh, I see, my buddy Tite Lines must have copied that idea for her challenge up in British Columbia recently. The 15.10.1 in Washington was the first I have heard of such a thing.

How has the weather been since July 4 in your area? in my part of the world and in much of the U.S. it's been brutally hot, even for midsummer. That will effect cache hunting, as even those will drive a distance and then hike for a cache are thinking that they'll get a late morning start with the drive first, and it's just going to be too darn hot to enjoy.

When you place caches that take some physical effort, you tend to lose the FTF crowd. That leaves the people who anticipate enjoying the journey. I'd know I'd enjoy the journey more without the heat stroke. ;-)

As others have mentioned, your more rarely found caches will be fun to own, over time. I currently own 7 caches that haven't been found for 2 years or more, and another 9 that haven't been found for over a year. I like these caches, and I'll just keep on ownin' em. I don't get "TFTC" logs on them ;-).

A micro hidden in the woods isn't a draw to get people fired up to visit. Change them to regular or even large caches and people will be more willing to make the venture. A micro in the woods isn't very imaginative or appealing to most. The more out of the way a cache is placed the more the cache owner has to make it something worth looking for. I'm sure both areas where the caches are hidden is very nice but there are very nice areas all over the world and alot of places look about the same. Make the caches different than the typical cache of the day being a micro.

OK, here's my challenge to you: change them to regular size caches and I'll go find them.

Heck, they're only 200 miles from where I work. Straight shot.

I've done crazy things before. FTF on a cache in South Dakota that had been in place nearly 6 months.

I took a 3 month job in Arizona so I could drive through Kansas and pick up Mingo.

Maybe I'll hide a couple while I'm there. :D

There are two caches in the area. One by wigoweb and the other by cdparker1. Have you considered teaming up with them and telling readers that it's a good idea to visit all your caches in the same trip?

Also, the place sounds gorgeous, but the cache information page doesn't have any photos. If you give someone a taster of the beautiful surroundings, they're more likely to come.

By the way, I agree with the others about that micro. I've pinned down the location of a multi that is about 3 km from my current location, but I would have to walk there and back without a car in pretty hot weather. I'm not sure I want to try, because the final cache is a small container. No matter how beautiful the location. I wouldn't dream of looking for a micro in the woods.

Unless something spectacular is waiting for me I won't make special trips for micros and typically I will avoid micros in the woods and then further avoid micros in the woods that have a hint stating they are in bushes.

They did place a regular sized cache, .4mi away at the same time. Both caches are located near a campground, next to a lake. Here's the background image from that listing.

f3c9cfc0011df49f9aa4561e5309bc7a.jpg

If it wasn't 2400 miles from my home, I'd have been out there next day, micro or not. We have some beautiful scenery around here, but nothing like this.

I think that the biggest issue with these caches not being found is a simple lack of cachers in the area. The closest highway micro hasn't been found since early June.

In the few years I've been in geocaching (~6 years now), I have seen our area go from good hiking exploring caches, to mostly park and grabs.

We have an amazing outdoor play area (tons and tons of bush) and park and grabs have taken over.

I have a few (~30-45 minute round trip) hiking caches and some haven't seen a cacher in a year plus.

I suspect my tough series that is going out next summer will see less then 5 visits in 5 years.

One state that I find interesting is oldests unfound cache in the area. I used ot maintain a bookmark of this for my province, but recently got lazy. I for one took pride in my cache that had never been found for 2 years http://coord.info/GC1W1VP. That cache has now been found 2 times in the three years it has been out there. I personaly take pride in that. And I really enjoy reading the logs. It is interesting compairing them to the experience that I had hiding the cache.