Downloading Multiple GPX Files

SteamyStu

I want to download for example all the caches within 1 mile of home as GPX files to my Garmin Etrex. So I do a search and get a list of the caches. I can download them individually by clicking on the "Send to GPS" button to the right of each listing ... but surely there is a way to select multiple caches from the list and download them in one operation?

There is a "Download Waypoints" button on the listing page that but downloads as LOC files, not GPX files?

I am a Premium member, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in anticipation ...

You don't say what eTrex it is. The earlier models don't support 'paperless caching'. If it is one of the newer ones (10, 20 or 30) then it certainly does. On my resource site I've written a simple 'how to' guide on PQ's and downloading them to the GPS. As you are from the UK you'll also find on the site information about the free Open Street Maps available for the GPS. Link to my Resource site under my signature, go to the page on Paperless for the PQ bit and GPS for the maps.

You'll also find we've got some very active Facebook geocaching groups (Berkshire, Hampshire etc). Again, list of these on my Resource site.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website - www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

OK, a supplementary question that someone might be able to help with specifically for my Garmin etrex 10.

I do geocaching from home, and make occasional forays down to Dartmoor. The etrex 10 supports a maximum of 1,000 waypoints. So lets say I do a pocket query of 1,000 caches for home, and another one of 1,000 caches for Dartmoor. I obviously can't have both sets loaded on the etrex at once, but can I delete one set and upload the other as I need them? Will the etrex maintain a record of which caches I've found overall? Or will it just get hopelessly confused?

Thanks in advance.

Stuart.

Never keep old PQ's on your GPS. Load new, fresh data every time!

(You may find you spend too long looking for a cache, that when you get home and check the cache page, find it's been archived!)

Keeping Found caches on your GPS means for every cache you find, there's one less unfound cache you can load!

Always run the PQ's with "Caches I have not found" selected.

If you want to keep two areas of caches on the GPS unit, you may have to be a little more selective and only have 500 caches per area...

If you know before hand, just replace one PQ with the other. (With a new PQ every time!)

You can do 5 PQ's a day so you can always ensure you have an up to date one to load into the eTrex. You would need to delete the old one and load a new one from the PC. That How To document I referred to earlier shows you how to do this.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website - www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center