First Day Observations with iPhone - Going to Need a Dedicated GPS?

Cooke-Nooke

Spend a few hours with my seven year old geocaching yesterday... I hadn't been in years, but it was his first time -- he loved it!

We used my iPhone 4S... And I have to say, the Groundspeak application is quite nice. Easy to find caches on the fly (download cache details on the fly). Easy to log, easy to navigate with Google street view while in the car. Easy to swap out to geo maps when afoot. And the interface is quite kid friendly. I was also surprised at the accuracy. Love the compass, and the GPS function is solid! And the boy liked that we could sit, talk about the find and log our thoughts right away.

I have two issues, however -- nothing new, they have been mentioned time and time again. The battery life is poor. My son was like the energizer bunny, "Daddy can we find another... Where next, Dad." I got a little under four hours of use and the battery died... And then there's the everpresent fear the the phone will get dropped or damaged... Yes, I have a case, but this is NOT what I would consider outdoor/geocaching friendly.

I can somewhat easily solve the latter issue with an OtterBox or equivalent case. But battery life remains...

How do other frequent cacher/iPhone users handle these issues. I love the tools, and the Groundspeak application, but the HW seems to have limitations...And if I were to pick up a dedicated GPS unit, I'm having trouble finding a unit that equals the iPhone features -- without spending over $300. Yes, I know, the iPhone is a $500+ device...

Explorist GC - easy to use interface, no dedicated compass, no ability to upgrade base maps

Etrex 20 - more features, no dedicated compass

Regardless, I'm most bothered by the need to be tethered to a PC for grabbing cache details, maps, logging, etc. The iPhone really shines as a multi-purpose geocaching Swiss army knife, in this regard!

Any other thoughts I might consider?

hey there. personally me and my partner take it in turns, we both have an iPhone with the app so he will bring up the first one and i'll bring up the second and so on. we also set it up so if we have to drive in between caches then phones are on charge.

also we have found that getting the coordinates off of the geocaching app and then using a GPS app saves batteries as well. so for a couple we'll take coordinates and check description then close down the app and use the GPS

the case thing i can't recommend anything for as we just use it to the point then put it away to start looking.

hey there. personally me and my partner take it in turns, we both have an iPhone with the app so he will bring up the first one and i'll bring up the second and so on. we also set it up so if we have to drive in between caches then phones are on charge.

also we have found that getting the coordinates off of the geocaching app and then using a GPS app saves batteries as well. so for a couple we'll take coordinates and check description then close down the app and use the GPS

the case thing i can't recommend anything for as we just use it to the point then put it away to start looking.

I guess I could purchase another iPhone for my seven year old :-)

Anyone out there with first hand experience with the Mophie Juice Pack Pro (http://www.mophie.com/juice-pack-PRO-Rugged-case-for-iPhone-4-4S-p/2120_jppr-ip4-blk.htm)???

It's about what I was planning to spend on a dedicated GPS... But for the money, I think I'd get better functionality out of my iPhone, while solving the battery and ruggadized concerns.

Were you using the paid app or the free app? I went out yesterday for my first time and was using the free app. Not sure if there is any difference or not so thought I would ask.

I have the paid app... IMHO, a very well thought out application!

Here's where I am stuck... I am a smartphone user first, and a geocacher second. If I didn't already own an iPhone, I think i'd be very happy with an entry-level GPS. But given my integration expectations (quick/easy native access to caches, easy logging, solid GPS performance, just-what-I-need application access), I'm not impressed with dedicated GPS hardware options. Even at the extreme high-end, I'd still need to be tethered to a PC for maps and cache information.

If you love this hobby & the fact you are a premium member.... Definitely get a handheld.

Whatever unit you get, make sure if has a 3 axis compass. Your phone has this feature and you're used to using it. Getting a handheld without it - will be very disappointing. Our first GPS was an Explorist GC and it does not have the 3 axis compass. We sold it after using it for 1 week!! Hated it....

My husband and I both have an iphone 4. We currently own 2 handhelds (Oregon 450 & 62s) plus a Nuvi 2450. The handheld units we have are very nice - although, the Oregon tends to lock up & shut off from time to time. The 62s does not have that probem (so far).

You won't be disappointed with a handheld and you'll be glad to keep the iphone in your pocket until your son says I FOUND IT - you can get the phone out and log your finds!! Our phones are always with us while caching...including, in a drybag on the kayak trips!!

Great fun!! You won't be disappointed getting a handheld!

It doesn't have to be an either-or decision. I do most of my geocaching with my smartphone because of the convenience. But if I'm going somewhere where the battery life, durability, and waterproof case of my handheld GPSr are needed, then I use the handheld GPSr. Yes the phone is more convenient, but I can drop my handheld GPSr into a rocky stream without bricking it.

Besides an external battery for the phone, another option for improving the battery life may be to use a Bluetooth GPSr. That allows you to turn off the GPR antenna in the phone (which is what drains the battery), and the Bluetooth GPSr will have replaceable batteries. It doesn't help with the phone's lack of durability, but it does help with the battery life issue.

You can start by using basic battery saving techniques for the phone in general, which will then help conserve battery while Geocaching. Things like turning off Location Services to apps other than Geocaching, keeping your email app from fetching new emails on a regular basis, closing out apps that are running in the background (double-tap the Home button & close the apps that appear in the dock), adjusting your screen's brightness to a lower level, turning off Bluetooth & WiFi when not in use, etc.

We've cached all day using my iPhone 4, it just takes a little effort & planning. Obviously if you're in the car between caches, plug it in. Probably the biggest thing that help us save on battery is simply using it as little as possible. The more experience you gain caching, the less you'll need to depend on your device to get you real close. We enjoy arriving at a location, getting an initial read for distance & direction, then put the phone away and walk. We get it out when we need it, but once you cache for a while, you start getting ideas of where they're more commonly hidden. We get that initial distance & direction and estimate where that spot is, then look for a good hiding place (tree, fence post, structure of some kind). It makes it a little more challenging and saves on battery, so it benefits us in more ways than one.

My friend has one of the Mophie packs, but not the tough case, just a basic one. He really likes it and finds it to be a quality product. I've yet to buy an external battery pack, but it's always been on my list. I'll probably be buying the new iPhone this fall and will more than likely get the battery pack then. I have an Otterbox with my iPhone 4 and it definitely offers peace of mind when carrying around such an expensive device while caching. Although, we did cache for over a year before I got the Otterbox and never had any problems even while caching in all different terrains. You just have to be careful is all. I wouldn't be any less careful even if I used a handheld. I have no plans to buy a GPSr anytime soon, we do just fine with the iPhone (urban, rural, wooded, rocky, mountains). You can also take advantage of the Favorites list on the Geocaching app. Once you save caches to your Favorites, you can access those caches without the need for cell signal. That will also save on battery life because the phone isn't constantly trying to connect to the data network. You can prepare logs within the app and send them immediately or save them, then send them later. Good luck & happy hunting.

You can use an external battery pack to extend the battery life of the iPhone. There are many of them on the market. Some are kind of large and connect via cable and some are small and connect directly. Obviously the latter type don't provide as much run time, but they are small and light.

I also recently got a Garmin GPSMAP 62sc and it is very nice, has great battery life, it's waterproof and has better reception… yet I still find myself using my iPhone 4 a lot. It's hard to to give up the convenience and features of the geocaching app. I'm often looking for caches on a whim and that is where the iPhone shines and it is sooo much more convenient too. Plus the maps are way better on the iPhone app than anything I have for my Garmin. Topo and definitely satellite. Maybe if I paid the big bucks for Garmin's outrageously priced topo maps I'd be happier with those, but that's another major expense for an already expensive device.

Don't get me wrong - I like the 62sc a lot, and while it's more of a pain to use, the results are good, but I still like using my iPhone 4 too.

Edited by crunchewy

Once you get to the edge of cell service and under tree cover, your iPhone will be nothing more than a hot brick as it burns through the battery trying to locate 3G service.

I started out with my iPhone on a couple of trips and it worked very well, but I always had 3G service. I tried to find some caches in the conservation land in town in an area that has not so great cell service. I walked 100 ft into the woods and lost the link to the geocache.com app. The GPS also lost lock and I didn't get either back until I came back out to the road. I had a similar issue where the electronic compass lost it's mind in the woods. You could rotate 360 degrees and the compass continued to point in the same direction.

I like to take the kids to new trails/towns and have no idea what cell service will be, so that's a deal breaker for me.

I use a 6 year old eXplorist 500 as my main geocaching gps. I have a basic Nuvi with GSAK macro for driving directions. I only take the iphone 4G out if I get stuck and need to look at the cache page or recent logs, and sometimes to make sure no new caches have been placed near my current location.

This is a great leap ahead for me. I used to use my cell phone only to make phone calls. :unsure:

Once you get to the edge of cell service and under tree cover, your iPhone will be nothing more than a hot brick as it burns through the battery trying to locate 3G service.

I started out with my iPhone on a couple of trips and it worked very well, but I always had 3G service. I tried to find some caches in the conservation land in town in an area that has not so great cell service. I walked 100 ft into the woods and lost the link to the geocache.com app. The GPS also lost lock and I didn't get either back until I came back out to the road. I had a similar issue where the electronic compass lost it's mind in the woods. You could rotate 360 degrees and the compass continued to point in the same direction.

I like to take the kids to new trails/towns and have no idea what cell service will be, so that's a deal breaker for me.

If you don't mind me asking, which model iPhone do you have? My iPhone 4 does much better in wooded areas than what you apparently experience, and living in such a rural area, we do a lot of caches in the woods. Yes, it's definitely not as accurate in heavily wooded areas. The more canopy cover, the less accurate it becomes, but it has never stopped us from finding one or lead us too far astray. Sometimes we have to widen the search radius, but that happens to everyone.

Saving caches to your Favorites within the app is crucial, in my opinion. You never know when you're going to be in low (or no) cell service and saving them to Favorites allows you to access the cache & maps without cell service. You can always turn off your phone's Cellular Data, that way it's not constantly searching for the network and wasting battery.

Spend a few hours with my seven year old geocaching yesterday... I hadn't been in years, but it was his first time -- he loved it!

We used my iPhone 4S... And I have to say, the Groundspeak application is quite nice. Easy to find caches on the fly (download cache details on the fly). Easy to log, easy to navigate with Google street view while in the car. Easy to swap out to geo maps when afoot. And the interface is quite kid friendly. I was also surprised at the accuracy. Love the compass, and the GPS function is solid! And the boy liked that we could sit, talk about the find and log our thoughts right away.

I have two issues, however -- nothing new, they have been mentioned time and time again. The battery life is poor. My son was like the energizer bunny, "Daddy can we find another... Where next, Dad." I got a little under four hours of use and the battery died... And then there's the everpresent fear the the phone will get dropped or damaged... Yes, I have a case, but this is NOT what I would consider outdoor/geocaching friendly.

I can somewhat easily solve the latter issue with an OtterBox or equivalent case. But battery life remains...

How do other frequent cacher/iPhone users handle these issues. I love the tools, and the Groundspeak application, but the HW seems to have limitations...And if I were to pick up a dedicated GPS unit, I'm having trouble finding a unit that equals the iPhone features -- without spending over $300. Yes, I know, the iPhone is a $500+ device...

Explorist GC - easy to use interface, no dedicated compass, no ability to upgrade base maps

Regardless, I'm most bothered by the need to be tethered to a PC for grabbing cache details, maps, logging, etc. The iPhone really shines as a multi-purpose geocaching Swiss army knife, in this regard!

If you love this hobby & the fact you are a premium member.... Definitely get a handheld.

Whatever unit you get, make sure if has a 3 axis compass. Your phone has this feature and you're used to using it. Getting a handheld without it - will be very disappointing. Our first GPS was an Explorist GC and it does not have the 3 axis compass. We sold it after using it for 1 week!! Hated it....

My husband and I both have an iphone 4. We currently own 2 handhelds (Oregon 450 & 62s) plus a Nuvi 2450. The handheld units we have are very nice - although, the Oregon tends to lock up & shut off from time to time. The 62s does not have that probem (so far).

You won't be disappointed with a handheld and you'll be glad to keep the iphone in your pocket until your son says I FOUND IT - you can get the phone out and log your finds!! Our phones are always with us while caching...including, in a drybag on the kayak trips!!

+1.....we have the same units as above except only one iPhone and I use a Nuvi 780 and 500.

So... if you don't have a handheld then you don't love the hobby, even if you're a premium member? <_<

I have two issues, however -- nothing new, they have been mentioned time and time again. The battery life is poor.

As mentioned, quickest and easiest solution (and not even expensive really at all) is an external battery pack. The best, IMO, are AA packs, as you can share batteries with other devices and have as many on hand as you want (for those very long trips away from other power sources including vehicle). I got mine for ~$20 off the net, haven't gone back to my previous proprietary backup battery once.

Follow the battery saving tips mentioned earlier as well. Unfortunately the official app doesn't yet have a way to turn off GPS while still in the app. I really wish they'd add that ability! I use the Geosphere app almost exclusively, and I only turn on the GPS when I want to get my location, then I turn it off and use the map to get where I want to go. That saves huge battery life.

And then there's the everpresent fear the the phone will get dropped or damaged... Yes, I have a case, but this is NOT what I would consider outdoor/geocaching friendly.

I suppose having a child handle the phone makes this of more concern :) I have no case for my 4S, and have never put much weight on having a case. I've never bricked any of my smartphones by dropping them (I'm careful enough with them) though I have dropped two phones in water (and saved 1) :P oops. heh. Honestly, IMO, if you take care of your multi-purpose expensive digital device, a case isn't as much of a concern. Even having a case, I'd still be worried about dropping it. I just don't want to drop it, at all; and proceed accordingly :) (but yes, accidents can still happen; lack of "ruggedness" just isn't, to me, a downfall of caching with a smartphone).

I can somewhat easily solve the latter issue with an OtterBox or equivalent case.

Otterbox is definitely one of, if not the only, case that I'm tempted to own. Its durability and ease of use are second to none. :)

Other thoughts/comments...

I've always hated the digital compass. I never geocache using distance/bearing, unless map imagery is of absolutely no help. Even offline - out of cell coverage - cache the maps in the area you're going to, at multiple zoom levels (dragging the map over the area should be enough for in-app map caching), before leaving data. Then turn off data so it's not a battery drain trying to reconnect. GPS still works when there's no data, but it will be a little slower as it's no longer getting a boost from cell tower triangulation. Even under heavy canopy, it still works sufficiently (at least in my experience, to my satisfaction :P)

But that's definitely where dedicated handhelds shine. When I'm out on deeper rural excursions, I'm typically with friends and they have handhelds as well, so with safety a factor, we always have dedicated GPS devices (though I still use my 4S).

Hopefully not! But it all depends on what expectations you set on the device you purchase :P You could still be disappointed if you're looking primairly for convenience and flexibility in a digital device while caching :P , or only compare it to what you're used to (and that goes both ways).

I can drop my handheld GPSr into a rocky stream without bricking it.

I'm still so glad that the 2nd time I dropped my phone in the lake it kept working. The first time I was above a pond looking down over a culvert and my 3G slipped out of my shirt pocket. #derp

Couldn't get to it in time. Bricked it.

The 2nd time I was on a shoreline, and of course the same thing happened as I bent down - 3GS fell out and landed submerged near my feet. But I grabbed it within a couple of seconds, did the proper drying-out deed for smartphones, and it started working again. That 3GS lasted another year & a half until I decided to upgrade to the 4S.

The 3GS still works.

Point: Submersion itself doesn't brick a phone. Just get it quick and make sure it dries properly before using it. Then cross your fingers :P

Nonetheless, a waterproof case or a very durable case are definitely smart investments :) (I may be ignorant for not having one, and it might come to bite me again, but point being, it's not a drawback to caching with an iphone, imo ;) )

Using both can be very easy and you get all the benefits. A premium membership will allow for pocket queries that you can load into your handheld unit as frequently or infrequently as you like. Use the handheld to get to the cache, and then use the smartphone features once you're there, whether it's the description and hint or just to log. You're not tethered to anything that way as you load the PQ's in at your convenience, but you still get the battery saving and durability. Not to mention that will allow you to find caches that are in spotty cell coverage range.

I was thinking I should 'upgrade' to a proper GPSr, but I have changed my mind, I just upgraded to a new android that has GPS and GLONASS and it rocks, I was quite amazed at the improvement over my last droid, especially under tree cover.(For a while I was worried about it's compass going screwy fairly often, but then I had a lightbulb moment and removed it from the case I bought that closes with a magnetic strap, Doh!)

And I use PQ's on it, I have 1500 caches pre-loaded on my phone for my local area and when I head out of my area I just chuck another PQ in it. I prefer Groundspeak's app, but I also have Locus free version with offline vector maps (not found a good, reliable way of getting satellite maps on it yet). That way I don't need to worry about signal/data coverage, but I do have 500mb per month to use if I unexpectedly end up somewhere I was hadn't planned on being.

My only issue really is the battery life, but I'm about to order 2 spare batteries and a charging dock for them for £6.99 on ebay which will see me through a dawn till dusk session :)

Started with a jailbroken iPod Touch + GPS.... then got an iPhone... then got a Dakota 20... then went back to the iPhone! Google maps, WiFi, Internet all outweigh the so-called "better" accuracy of a handheld GPS. :)

For battery life, I'd recommend the "Veho VCC-A007-PBP Pebble 5000mAH Portable Battery Pack Charger for iPod, iPhone, Mobile Phones and PSP" available on Amazon uk for £18.00. Tends to get about 4 recharges before I need to recharge the battery! Also comes with a set of adapters for various phones.

For us it is not just battery life draining on the iphone but losing signal particularly when in dense woodland. We just have an etrex 10 which we use happily and just use the iphone, when we need to look at a map, for example if we are not sure which side of a river a cache is hidden.

Clearly, geocachers' opinions are across the board, both new and prolific. There's no debating the improved technical capabilities of an average dedicated gps over an average smartphone when it comes to GPS quality (likewise the best gps over the best smartphone).

But general caching with a higher-end smartphone is perfectly feasible, if your location/environment/satellite coverage is sufficient. And personally, as I will keep suggesting, if doing anything where safety is an active concern (deep woods, jungle, lengthy excursions, etc) it's always prudent to have, if not use primarily, a quality dedicated GPS. That's its home turf :P

Use what you're comfortable with, whatever it is you prefer. If you're looking, try out a few if you can and choose; or don't. Just use something you're happy with, and learn how to use that device optimally! :laughing:

Edited by thebruce0

I finally got an iPhone after dunking my stupid blackberry. The only reason I picked it over an Android was the geocaching app, which I had fooled around with on my daughter's iphone.

Up to this point, I had been using an eTrex (which did NOT fail when dunked at the same time as the blackberry) which by comparison is difficult to manage, data-wise.

What the eTrex does do is keep a tracklog. I very much like to use the everytrail.com site to upload the logs and see a visualization of where I went. Is there a way to get this info out of the iPhone app?

See the end of my log entry for the blackberry-dunking cache where there's a link to the map of our semi-epic find which very much helps illustrate and enhance the story.

I will still always have the eTrex with me as a contingency, and maybe use it to collect tracks if there isn't a way to get the info out of the iPhone.

The biggest downside (next to battery life) is the inability of the device to have differentiated alerts for emails. Ringtones, yes; text messages, yes, but all emails alert the same way. The blackberry was set up to make a horrific red-alert type noise when I got a new cache publication email (letting everyone at the office know that I was likely to be leaving early/taking a long lunch).

I will be investigating the AA-backup battery device mentioned; are they specific to the iPhone jack or are they generic AA-to-USB devices? I did an 8-part multi earlier this week that used 40% of the iPhone's battery.

I have yet to see the official ap in action. I currently use the free droid app "c:geo" and I love it for a host of reasons. I am getting pressure to switch to the iPhone, but don't want to give up "c:geo" as it doesn't work on iPhone. The biggest sticking point for me (next to ease of use) is turn-by-turn navigation. When I pull up a cache page, I can (with two clicks) switch to google maps and be navigated to the GZ. Does the official app offer this feature? I can't discern this from the sales literature. Thanks.

What the eTrex does do is keep a tracklog. I very much like to use the everytrail.com site to upload the logs and see a visualization of where I went. Is there a way to get this info out of the iPhone app?

Try the Everytrail app ;)

I actually recommend that as it's the one I use when I want to track logs on the iPhone. It does run in the background (while you're using a different geocaching app), and the integration with their website is wonderful. Considering you're already used to Everytrail, you should pick it up nice and easy. They have a free and paid version.

I will be investigating the AA-backup battery device mentioned; are they specific to the iPhone jack or are they generic AA-to-USB devices? I did an 8-part multi earlier this week that used 40% of the iPhone's battery.

The AA backup I have is an iPhone jack. I don't see a problem with that if using rechargeable AA's, I have chargers for them. Moved away from proprietary battery packs. & the only benefit to the USB would potentially be to power other mobile devices with USB inputs... laptop's the only thing that comes to mind, and 4 AA's aren't going to power a laptop ;) heh

Edited by thebruce0

My husband and I set out out with our dog to find our first caches! I had heard of Geocaching long before Smartphones when I was heavily involved in WheresGeorge. I thought it would be fun to hike one of our state parks and give this a try. We successfully found 2 of the 3 we had targeted. We did not find the 3rd because we lost cell coverage (a big problem in the park we visited). I was very impressed with the app and ease of use. I think we'll hold off on purchasing a GPS unit until we try this some more.

Mostly I use my android app to give me navigation to the site, then leave the phone in the car while I take my handheld to GZ. Honestly, if being tethered to a PC is your issue, I'd suggest a premium membership with a handheld, just build pocket queries(500 geocaches centered around a certain area with custom parameters you set,) for the areas you're going to be in and you'll have no end of geocaches logged in your handheld ready to smoke through.

I suppose another route, if you don't want to mess with the pocket queries, is to simply use your phone to view the latitude and longitude of your intended target and when you park tap those into your handheld as a waypoint and go.

Either way the phone recoups in the car on a charger while the handheld does all the real work whilst being more accurate a majority of the time.

Edit: also, as mentioned above, cell coverage is spotty in some places, so having a dedicated handheld is always more rewarding in such situations.

Edited by TeamZorsicorne

The biggest downside (next to battery life) is the inability of the device to have differentiated alerts for emails. Ringtones, yes; text messages, yes, but all emails alert the same way. The blackberry was set up to make a horrific red-alert type noise when I got a new cache publication email (letting everyone at the office know that I was likely to be leaving early/taking a long lunch).

Many people buy a trackable (travel bug or geocoin) and activate it for themselves. It's something we're interested in doing at some point, just haven't gotten around to it. You don't release it into the wild, you keep it and at every cache you go to, you log your own trackable as having "Visited" each one. Then you can look at the map on its page. And it's all part of your Geo account instead of having it separate.

As far as your mail alerts question, I did a quick search and found a few iPhone apps that just might do what you're looking for. One is called iPriorityMail (free or .99 ad-free). You can check it out here: iPriorityMail

A couple others I saw mentioned were MailTones and PushMail. Do a search in the app store for email notifiers.

I have yet to see the official ap in action. I currently use the free droid app "c:geo" and I love it for a host of reasons. I am getting pressure to switch to the iPhone, but don't want to give up "c:geo" as it doesn't work on iPhone. The biggest sticking point for me (next to ease of use) is turn-by-turn navigation. When I pull up a cache page, I can (with two clicks) switch to google maps and be navigated to the GZ. Does the official app offer this feature? I can't discern this from the sales literature. Thanks.

No, the official Geo app does not give you turn by turn. Just a You are here, point A to point B navigation. The current Google Maps app for iPhone also does not give turn by turn, but there are other 3rd part apps (MapQuest for example) that do give turn by turn with voice. The next iPhone (to be announced in a couple weeks) will have Apple's own proprietary maps app (they're ditching Google Maps) and it WILL have turn by turn with voice (Siri). I suspect when that happens, in order to compete with Apple's new maps app, Google will more than likely release a new & improved Google Maps app for iPhone that will have many, if not all, of the features Google Maps has on Android.

My husband and I set out out with our dog to find our first caches! I had heard of Geocaching long before Smartphones when I was heavily involved in WheresGeorge. I thought it would be fun to hike one of our state parks and give this a try. We successfully found 2 of the 3 we had targeted. We did not find the 3rd because we lost cell coverage (a big problem in the park we visited). I was very impressed with the app and ease of use. I think we'll hold off on purchasing a GPS unit until we try this some more.

If you're using the official Geocaching app, you can save caches to a favorites list. Once saved, you can access those caches without cell coverage. It gives you access to the entire cache page and maps to navigate to it. It's great for those of us with limited data plans. I plan outings while connected to WiFi, save all the caches we want to find, and don't have to worry about good cell signal or eating through my limited data. It allows you to create a log and send it to Geo.com right away or save it and send it later.

I have a HTC Sensation XL smartphone and an Etrex 20 GPS.

I think the official Groundspeak app works really well and provides all the information up to date on the fly.

I get in the car and use the official Groundspeak app to look for the nearest caches, navigate to the area of the cache in my car with the smartphone then when i get out of the car to walk to the cache i then use my Etrex 20.

Just before i get out of the car i punch in the cache co-ordinates into the Etrex and away i go, the smartphone stays in my pocket then.

The Etrex is water resistant which living in england is a MUST as the rain can come down at a moments notice, its more accurate than the smartphone and i can easily change the 2 AA batteries whilst out caching if they get low, its also easier to see the screen in daylight than the smartphone.

I love the Etrex 20 with it having the little joystick instead of touchscreen, if its cold and wet you dont have to take your gloves off to use it.

When i have found the cache i navigate back to my car with the Etrex (i normally set a waypoint where the car is before i set off).

Once in the car where its nice and dry out comes the smartphone where i log my find on the Groundspeak app and look for the next cache.

This works perfectly for me and would advise anybody to use a combination of a smartphone and a handheld GPS for geocaching rather than one or the other ;)

Edited by Lowther Gang

Many people buy a trackable (travel bug or geocoin) and activate it for themselves. It's something we're interested in doing at some point, just haven't gotten around to it. You don't release it into the wild, you keep it and at every cache you go to, you log your own trackable as having "Visited" each one. Then you can look at the map on its page. And it's all part of your Geo account instead of having it separate.

The trackable method is great for showing general cache-to-cache travels. I have two trackables that I am using the way you describe; one is a patch on my pack that I have dipped in every cache I have done: Frink Labs - Travelling Cacher Geopatch

The other is a FTF geocoin that I was lucky enough to get as a FTF prize recently; I have dipped it in all the FTFs I have: Frink Labs FTFs - Signal FTF Micro Geocoin

What I actually wanted was the iPhone to give me detailed maps that look like this:

Bark Lake or Bust Geocache Everytrail Map

(note that this was captured with my Etrex which is why it still worked when we were swimming away from GZ in the lake rather than endure the bushwhacking return trip)

And so I followed this advice, which was excellent and gave me exactly what I asked for:

Try the Everytrail app ;)

I actually recommend that as it's the one I use when I want to track logs on the iPhone. It does run in the background (while you're using a different geocaching app), and the integration with their website is wonderful. Considering you're already used to Everytrail, you should pick it up nice and easy. They have a free and paid version.

Thank you thebruce0!

As far as your mail alerts question, I did a quick search and found a few iPhone apps that just might do what you're looking for. One is called iPriorityMail (free or .99 ad-free). You can check it out here: iPriorityMail

A couple others I saw mentioned were MailTones and PushMail. Do a search in the app store for email notifiers.

The 'droid at the "Genius Bar" suggested that the version 6 of IOS might have this feature and that its release is allegedly in the Fall of 2012 so I will hold out for that solution; failing that, I will try the app method. I hesitate to do so because I am pretty sure you have to forward mail to their servers and/or give them your email username/password and my company's email confidentiality might be compromised.

In a perfect world, Groundspeak would offer an SMS notification method but that'd be expensive I bet.

If you use gmail (or possible other email services), then the free app Boxcar can effectively give you this. What you do is create a filter in gmail (on the web page) that when you receive an email that matches whatever criteria you want, you forward the email to a special boxcar email address. Then the boxcar app can be set to give a unique alert sound for the matching emails. I use this to do that for messages from my family and I keep meaning to set up one for geocaching alerts but I haven't done it yet. It's a little klunky how it works, but it does the trick. I do hope that iOS 6 has this feature though and we don't need anything like Boxcar to do it for us.

If you use gmail (or possible other email services), then the free app Boxcar can effectively give you this. What you do is create a filter in gmail (on the web page) that when you receive an email that matches whatever criteria you want, you forward the email to a special boxcar email address. Then the boxcar app can be set to give a unique alert sound for the matching emails. I use this to do that for messages from my family and I keep meaning to set up one for geocaching alerts but I haven't done it yet. It's a little klunky how it works, but it does the trick. I do hope that iOS 6 has this feature though and we don't need anything like Boxcar to do it for us.

For me, I set up an alias email for my geocaching account, which forwards email to my personal inbox, as well as mobile email through Rogers. So, while I never read the email that goes instantly to my phone, the alert I receive contains the sender's email address. If the sender is noreply@geocaching.com I know it's a GC-related email. From noreply@Groundspeak.com means a newsletter or forum notification. Either way, as soon as I get that alert, I open up my mail app and download the new email - instant instant email notification :)

The way I see it, any other service you employ will still have somewhat of a notification lag. The SMS notification of new email to my phone is as fast as it'll come, as it comes straight from Rogers on my plan. After I know there's an incoming email, I can just check it manually if I'm free to do so. It would of course be nice if the instant email notification would include more than just the sender's email address, but that's sufficient for the way I use it. :)

Edited by thebruce0

I've tried both (GPS and Iphone) and I have to say I LOVE my Iphone with the paid app. It seems to be more accurate, has less trouble under tree cover, and shows me better sat maps.

I had trouble with battery too, so instead of buying a $300 GPS unit, I bought this charging case and it's made of amazing for recharging in the field.

The paid app is WELL worth the money, IMHO. I also use the Perfect Mark app for puzzle caches.

Glad to hear so many are satisfied with the iPhone app. I used to cache with an eTrex Legend in 03 -05 but I stop caching and gave it to my father in law. I got back into it the other day when I found the app and now my 7 year old is hooked. I may ask for my legend back or get a handheld eventually but for now I am anxious to see how the paid app compares to the free app.

It will be 2 years this Halloween since I got my iPhone 4 and I will NEVER use anything else to cache! I see lots of DNF logs posted by cachers who state 'All I had was my iPhone,' and it's baffling to me WHY they're posting a DNF, blaming the iPhone compass! I wouldn't trade my iPhone for a handheld GPSr if you paid me! As for covers, I've had a 3-piece Ballistic cover on my iPhone since day 1, cost, $35. It's 2 pieces that snap together tight around the phone with an attached screensaver and the 3rd piece is a thick, flexible rubber outer layer of protection with port plugs. In the 2 years since I got my iPhone I haven't had a single mishap until 4 days ago when I was approx 20' up in a tree signing a logsheet and DROPPED MY PHONE INTO THE Kishwaukee River!! Panic set in and my teammate jumped in to retrieve my phone. So happens the Kish was only about 2' deep and crystal clear this day so my iPhone was clearly visible laying on the bottom. OMG! I would say it was submerged for 15-20 seconds max. I unsnapped the cover and the phone was bone dry, including the ports. It was still on. My teammate rang my phone. Ring tone good BUT i couldn't hear him speaking until I turned the speaker on AND I didn't have keyboard sounds or on/off sounds etc... Googled it and found that my phone was thinking I had headphones plugged in. One person said they blew compressed air into the headphone port and it worked SO there I was, blowing into the headphone port on my phone and IT WORKED! All sounds came back and my phone is in perfect working order! Yea! This potentially tragic mishap got me to thinking about HOW VITAL A GOOD/QUALITY CASE IS for my investment. My 2 year contract expires next week at which time I will purchase the iPhone 5. I have been researching the best cases, WATERPROOF CASES, and found the LifeProof case which is so waterproof you can swim with your iPhone in your pocket. It's pricey, about $80 depending on where you buy but for me, $80 is absolutely worth it if I know my iPhone won't be destroyed next time I drop it in a lake/river/pond or in the snow. Life Proof cases for iPhone 5 are not yet available but you can get on the wait list like I did. Other companies have cases on the market right now for iPhone 5 BUT those cases went available to the public without iPhone 5 specs which Apple does not divulge before each new iPhone is available so how 'trustworthy' can they be to keep your investment safe? Also, the LifeProof case only adds 1.5mm to each edge! During my research I kept reading complaints about how 'ugly' this protector is! Who cares what it looks like as long as it does what it's supposed to do? If it only came in black and white polka dots I would put it on my phone if I knew I could drop it in a river and not FREAK cuz I knew it would be perfect when I pulled it outta the water. This protector comes in 'tactical' colors (created for military use) for iPhone 4 and 4S so I'm sure the same options will eventually be available to iPhone 5 users. For me, my iPhone is an investment I wanna protect and and spending $80 for a 'cover' is the same as shelling out $ for an alarm on my house and my vehicle. http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/iphone-5-black

http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/iphone-5-black

PS: I forgot to give props to the GeoApp for iPhone! IT ROCKS! I LOVE IT! WOULDN'T USE ANYTHING ELSE!

Are you using the free Geocache app or the $9.99 app. I'm disappointed with the free one and thinking of buying. Was also wondering about a gps coordinate locator that I could type the coords in and search that way?

Thanks to TeamSeekAndWeShallFind for the iPhone cover recommendation. I signed up to be notified for the version 5 and can't wait to get it.

blamerp: I've been using the paid app for a couple of months and love it. Last week I was able to compare it to the free app on a friend's phone. There is a huge difference, both visually and functionally.

The one time $10 fee is totally worth the upgrade.

I used my Iphone. I first tried out the free app... and after i got my 3 caches upgraded to the paid. So glad I did. I also use the battery pack. I bought it when I got my phone and its coming in handy now that we Geocache. I too found some areas are difficult when you lose cell service and when I had the death feeling when I watched my son start up a bunch of rocks to find a catch and threw my phone at me to hold, I decided it was time to get a stronger GPS, So I decide to purchase a Garmin. I went in with a plan to get a decent GPSr and ended up with a great deal on a Oregon 450t. with this I can upload the caches before we leave and dont have to rely on my phone. I prefer my Iphone but I think it may be because I have been use to it. The last few caches I've done was puzzels or out of service areas and I think the GPS would have helped out more!

I totally agree with TeamSeekAndWeShallFind--I just started geocaching about 2 weeks ago with the paid app on my iPhone 5. I have been doing a lot of research for a GPS that will give me the same features but there are none. You simply can't beat the convenience of searching for nearby caches, navigating to them, reading logs, viewing photos, and logging a find all from one place! I, too, am SUPER worried about something happening to the phone--we've already been out in the woods at the beginning stages of Hurricane Sandy and I kept having to tuck way inside my rain jacket to read the phone. I heard about lifelock and think the $80 is totally worth it. I'm just waiting bc they still have the iPhone 5 case in development. My only question, as I am a totally new smartphone user, is does using the geocaching app use much data? I only pay for 2GB @ month and I'm not sure how much damage I'm doing when I'm out running the GPS and the app itself. Any ideas??