Newb!

I am a complete newbie to the geocaching world, but I am hooked! I am in need of a good GPS, but right now my budget is a micro! I need advice as to what I should get. I really know nothing about them, but I've been reading product reviews. I hear mixed things about various units, such as "Not for the newcomer" on one hand and "Easy! User friendly" on the other. I don't know what I need computer-wise, either. I use a netbook that came with windows 7, although I believe I switched to windows 8. What do I need to download, if anything? How do I plug in coordinates? I've been looking at the Magellan Triton 400, but I don't want to dash off and buy something I can't use! By the way, I will be using a GPS only for geocaching.

Please let me know what you all think. Thank you, so much! :)

Consider an Explorist 110 that I saw on sale last week for $100. It has maps installed and you can use the free Vantage point program from Magellan. Become a premium member and this program will find your PQs and load up to 500 of them. it uses standard gpx file format, and keeps good tracks for use in other programs like google earth.

Well, micro in this case would be between $100 - $200. For a GPS that is very micro.

I would suggest the etrex 20 they have for 159.99 at Amazon because of the FREE topo and driving maps available. I have not tried one, but I like my old etrex venture hc and new montana. My magellan explorist 310 is ok (better than the 110) and the base map ain't bad, but the topo maps will cost you and you can't add driving maps.

What are you using to go geocaching with now? Are you using a smart phone?

If yes...then what phone are you using? What features does the APP have??

I actually have been using a map and compass.

How do you use a compass and a map for Geocaching? :-)

It is definitely more of a challenge, and takes more time, but if you know how to read a map and use a compass, it's really rewarding! My dad taught us how to do those things when we were kids and now I've found it very useful for geocaching! People look at me funny when their gps dies and I say "Well, luckily we have a compass! Now, did anyone bring a map?" It's old fashioned, but works! :) I just know, that when I get into stranger lands, I will want something I can use so I may find caches more swiftly.