Does anyone 'police' Benchmark logs?

Delta68

I've come across a bunch of benchmarks that I wouldn't really consider as a find. However, I've also logged a few that I randomly came across unbeknownst to myself at the time, so can't really speak ill of the practice. Personally, I'd rather find actual disks/markers not church spires or radio towers. For example here are a few I've logged: TU1604, EW7273

If it makes any difference I only log ones that I've physically gone to, and taken photos of, which it seems is not a practice shared by all.

Edited by Yeah_meoW

and no, there are no owners. Benchmarks do not count in your totals, so no need for anyone to pad. I could log a lot of benchmarks like churches and towers and buildings if I wanted to by just saying found, but who would care?

Obviously a whole bunch of Germans and Austrians. What's funny is the guy that thinks that he visited Arizona instead of Arkansas.

and no, there are no owners. Benchmarks do not count in your totals, so no need for anyone to pad. I could log a lot of benchmarks like churches and towers and buildings if I wanted to by just saying found, but who would care?

Obviously a whole bunch of Germans and Austrians. What's funny is the guy that thinks that he visited Arizona instead of Arkansas.

Many logs make statements such as this one I randomly pulled off the cache page:

Found this benchmark while searching for another virtual cache.

No clue where this virtual cache is though. There's none on a nearest caches search, and I don't really see it in the profiles of any of the benchmark "finders". Not that anyone cares, or will ever comment, since it's moved to the benchmark forum. This post is two minutes I'll never get back. :laughing:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Many logs make statements such as this one I randomly pulled off the cache page:

Found this benchmark while searching for another virtual cache.

No clue where this virtual cache is though. There's none on a nearest caches search, and I don't really see it in the profiles of any of the benchmark "finders". Not that anyone cares, or will ever comment, since it's moved to the benchmark forum. This post is two minutes I'll never get back. :laughing:

There was one post that mentioned the virtual was in Germany. It even has a name for the virtual. I did a search, but came up empty due to the little words under the "cache name" search which I noticed after trying it, "U.S. only".

It wouldn't matter even if you could see the virtual, nothing could be changed. We just have to put up with such things. Like you said, they buried the problem when this thread was moved to the benchmark forum, where no one there can do anything either.

Shirley~

I did a search, but came up empty due to the little words under the "cache name" search which I noticed after trying it, "U.S. only".

Funny, mine doesn't say that.

Anyway, the reason why your search didn't find it is because it's archived. I found it through one of the loggers' list of finds: GC607B. It was archived in January 2009 for armchair-logging abuse and because the owner was MIA and therefore wasn't dealing with all the bogus logs.

I got a kick out of all the people logging the benchmark using Google StreetView. Some even attached screenshots of the building near the coordinates. Too bad that isn't the train station. :laughing: A quick glance at the satellite image would show you which is the correct building, but these armchair-loggers must have been hurrying to move on to the next armchair virtual...