Etrex compass/direction arrow missing

Whilst out today I had my usual issues and on one occasion the unit froze when trying to load a cache, requiring me to remove a battery to reset. When the unit restarted the direction arrow on the compass and on the dashboard were missing. I've had this happen before and it is usually fixed the first time I restart the unit.

Today I had to restart the Extrex 5 times before the direction arrows were displayed. Does anyone know what's happening with this?

Probably an etrex 30 since the compass seems to be the major bug lately.

S/he seems to be talking about that the direction arrow is missing, this has not very much to do with the eTrex 30's erratic magnetic compass. But yeah I also suspect it's a 20/30, a sporadically disappearing direction arrow seems perfectly consistent with the other fine and dandy features in its firmware, not that I've seen it happen though :P

Oh by the way, Duncanhoyle: do you re-select the cache after the unit has rebooted? If not this is probably just a variation of the "Forgets destination after power cycle" bug (not fixed yet in 2.80 and I've reported it in this forum, has its own thread).

Edited by tr_s

Probably an etrex 30 since the compass seems to be the major bug lately.

S/he seems to be talking about that the direction arrow is missing, this has not very much to do with the eTrex 30's erratic magnetic compass. But yeah I also suspect it's a 20/30, a sporadically disappearing direction arrow seems perfectly consistent with the other fine and dandy features in its firmware, not that I've seen it happen though :P

Oh by the way, Duncanhoyle: do you re-select the cache after the unit has rebooted? If not this is probably just a variation of the "Forgets destination after power cycle" bug (not fixed yet in 2.80 and I've reported it in this forum, has its own thread).

I'm a he, and it's an Etrex 30.

If I'm on the map screen then the pointer is missing and so is the compass on the Geocaching dashboard.

If I'm on the compass screen it's the main pointer on the compass and also the small compass on the Geocaching dashboard.

I don't think mine has ever forgotten it's destination on power cycling, or if it has I can't remember it doing so.

Duncan