Montana custom geocache icon bug?

Following this information: custom geocache icons (yes, I know it is for Oregon)

You can customize icons with standard/system/reserved geocache names: listed here

Or standard/system/reserved waypoint names: listed here

So, ok, I can make my own icons as long as the names of the .bmp files match a reserved name...and that works...but what if I want to create a new class (custom named) geocache icon?

It says that you can make custom named .bmp files (not in the standard lists) and put the name in a .gpx file by changing <sym> element, but it doesn't work. It will not recognize .bmp files unless they follow any of the standard/system names already reserved.

It looks like the only way you can get a custom icon with a non-reserved name to show up is if you change the <Groundspeak:type> element.

I'm wondering if this is a bug or maybe the custom name is not yet recognized in the Montana firmware under the <sym> element...? Can I request this feature/fix?

Also, is there a program that can automatically (gpxspinner, gsak, etc) process a .gpx file to change the <Groundspeak:type> element if a trackable is in the cache? I can use gpxspinner to change the <sym> element if it has a trackable, but not the <Groundspeak:type> element.

Basically, I want to have an icon for caches that have trackables so it is obvious at a simple glance of the GPS map.

Thanks for your time. I hope I was clear. Please let me know if I need to clarify anything.

It's not a bug, It's just a non appearing feature. ;-)

Garmin's firmware just knows about cache types, not the status of caches.

What you can do is use GSAK and the brilliant macro "GarminExport.gsk". The macro will put indicating Pois to every cache that has something to indicate (unavailable status, favorites, trackabales, etc.).

See that thread: http://gsak.net/boar...ndpost&p=109814

HTH

Hans

Edited by HHL

It's not a bug, It's just a non appearing feature. ;-)

Garmin's firmware just knows about cache types, not the status of caches.

What you can do is use GSAK and the brilliant macro "GarminExport.gsk". The macro will put indicating Pois to every cache that has something to indicate (unavailable status, favorites, trackabales, etc.).

See that thread: http://gsak.net/boar...ndpost&p=109814

HTH

Hans

I actually had that macro and maybe I don't fully understand it or something, but I can't figure out how to make it do what I want. I checked the POI attribute "travelbug" and all 500 caches were exported into a new gpx file and I don't see a difference. The problem is I need a very specific line in the xml changed to something else if it has a trackable.

So, basically, I attach the GPS, I load the gpx file into gsak. Load the macro, select "include attribute POI's", select "Travel Bug" and hit run?

A new GPX file is sent to the GPS...but I don't see any changes to the caches with travel bugs.

What am I doing wrong with the macro?

I see now. You have to zoom WAY in before you can see it. Sorry about that.

I was really wanting to just change the icon to a TB icon about the same size as a regular green cache icon. Is there any way to have the macro change the <Groundspeak:type> element in the gpx if it contains a TB?

I see now. You have to zoom WAY in before you can see it. Sorry about that.

I was really wanting to just change the icon to a TB icon about the same size as a regular green cache icon. Is there any way to have the macro change the <Groundspeak:type> element in the gpx if it contains a TB?

No, with Geocaches it's all or nothing. That's what the indicating Pois are for.

Hans

NB: You can search by nearest caches with travel bugs or coins:

Search > Extras > Att-Trackables

Edited by HHL

The way I use the Custom icons on my Montana is to do a global replace in a macro to change, say, unknown/mystery caches that I have solved (with corrected coords) to CITOs. Then add a custom symbol for CITOs that actually shows a corrected coords icon. Then do a global replace to change the cache type back after the GPX export. You could probably use a wrapper macro around the above mentioned Garmin Export macro.

The list of recognised types on the Montana is lot shorter than your linked Oregon list so I use CITOs, events and megas for my special symbols for solved Mysteries, YOSMs (UK equivalent of Benchmarks) and those naughty QR code things (APE, locationless and GPS course custom symbols are not supported on the Montana). You can use a custom geocache symbol and replace that oversized treasure chest with one of your choice too (which may be as easy) but I don't think they are filterable on the unit. I did contact the Garmin beta team to see if they could add a generic piece of coding so that any <Groundspeak:type> element in the gpx file would check the Custom Symbol directory before assigning the generic symbol but they weren't keen. Maybe if a few others request it.....

The way I use the Custom icons on my Montana is to do a global replace in a macro to change, say, unknown/mystery caches that I have solved (with corrected coords) to CITOs. Then add a custom symbol for CITOs that actually shows a corrected coords icon. Then do a global replace to change the cache type back after the GPX export. You could probably use a wrapper macro around the above mentioned Garmin Export macro.

The list of recognised types on the Montana is lot shorter than your linked Oregon list so I use CITOs, events and megas for my special symbols for solved Mysteries, YOSMs (UK equivalent of Benchmarks) and those naughty QR code things (APE, locationless and GPS course custom symbols are not supported on the Montana). You can use a custom geocache symbol and replace that oversized treasure chest with one of your choice too (which may be as easy) but I don't think they are filterable on the unit. I did contact the Garmin beta team to see if they could add a generic piece of coding so that any <Groundspeak:type> element in the gpx file would check the Custom Symbol directory before assigning the generic symbol but they weren't keen. Maybe if a few others request it.....

Request added to the Montana Wiki Feature Request page, number 54 ;-)

Been pretty quiet on the software update front. Garmin software engineers must have taken the summer off. I hope while they were on vacation they finally got a chance to use some of their products (JAB)(ZINGER). :)

For those who are not aware, the Garmin software engineers are not specialized in any one product line, but rather they take turns collectively focusing on one or two products at a time... this is why you see update slumps for each product...

Of course this means none of them know any one product very well (shows so very clearly if you use their products), and also this way no one engineer can become irreplaceable.

I suspect most use some other brand of GPS, when they need one.

Edited by Atlas Cached

Been pretty quiet on the software update front. Garmin software engineers must have taken the summer off. I hope while they were on vacation they finally got a chance to use some of their products (JAB)(ZINGER). :)

For those who are not aware, the Garmin software engineers are not specialized in any one product line, but rather they take turns collectively focusing on one or two products at a time... this is why you see update slumps for each product...

Of course this means none of them know any one product very well (shows so very clearly if you use their products), and also this way no one engineer can become irreplaceable.

I suspect most use some other brand of GPS, when they need one.

Best replies ever, lol.

Yog, my fellow early adopter, you'll be pleased to know I'm on my third month with a Montana after NOT early adopting this one. I've grown to like it, and I've been surprised how quickly I adapted to it's size. I like the customization, I like the shortcuts, I like the UI changes. The screen on my Montana 600 had a hard time after spending three days in the desert (but the unit stood up well with logging the 2,000+ caches we found, no annoying infrequent crashes that my 62s did the year before, and it seems less finnicky with loading large .GPX files than the Oregon / 62s) but the screen lost all ability to sense touches. Back to REI, and now I have a 650t. Thumbs up so far.

Edited by Maingray

Actually, the Montana does support new geocache symbols. It took me a while to discover this because just changing one tag didn't seem to help.

You need to update 2 tags.

<Groundspeak:type>Geocache<\Groundspeak:type>

and

<sym>Traditional Cache<\sym>

They need to be the name of a BMP file that you create in the symbols folder. So, if I create a new BMP (with the correct specs) called "whatever.bmp", all I need to do is look for those two tags and change them to "whatever.bmp"

<Groundspeak:type>whatever.bmp<\Groundspeak:type>

and

<sym>whatever.bmp<\sym>