Premium Member Only Caches

Locke72

All your suggestions that I should give my colleague my passwort or give him the coordinates for the PMO caches make your arguments for PMO caches absurd.

I think you are lumping everyone who has challenged your opinion into one category of opposition. I suggested you give your password to your colleague. It still seems like a simple solution to me. However, I do not believe I offered an argument for or against PMO caches. I therefore fail to see how my suggestion makes my argument (which doesn't exist) or others' arguments, which have nothing to do with my suggestion, absurd.

All your suggestions that I should give my colleague my passwort or give him the coordinates for the PMO caches make your arguments for PMO caches absurd.

Here is a great idea.

Hide a couple of dozen caches and maintain them for a year or two and then get back to us.

Actually, while I do not share the OP's claim of absurdness, my experience with hiding caches and maintaining them over many years left me with a different experience than yours. In my experience, hiding caches which are not cheap park and grabs provides a much better security shield against problems caused by newbies and cachers that are handling caches carelessly. I noticed quite a number of PMs in my area with a small number of finds who lose the interest quickly while I know several very experienced, very reliable non PMs.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

As I see it, one of the reasons for creating a PMO cache (which hopefully one has put in a little extra effort to make it a really good cache) is to provide an incentive for basic members to become premium members. For every new premium member that's $30 a year that is added to the income to the company that provides the hosting service and other geocaching related services for those 1.8 million geocaches. That income can help pay for development efforts and hopefully in the long run improve the services that Groundspeak provides. By providing an incentive for basic members to become premium members there is the potential for the quality of service that all geocachers use to go up. I have no idea what percentage of Groundspeaks income comes from premium membership but I suspect that the overall service level would go down if there were a lot fewer premium members.

This is a great reason which never dawned on me before, good catch!

I oppose PMO caches.

Then I suggest you extend your opposition by not finding any more, and deleting your logs for the ones you have found.

Yes, deleting your logs will teach those PMO cache owners a lesson! :lol:

There´s no reason to be unobjective!

You oppose PMO caches, yet you are willing to find and log them. Your actions go against your alleged ethics, my friend.

Which side of your face do you wish to speak from?

If you talk the talk, you need to walk the walk.

I believe the OP can enjoy finding PMO caches and oppose them in principle. I do not agree with his logic on the opposition, but understand the difference between voicing an opinion and boycotting.

OK, it's just a game.

But, if people want to claim principles, I think they should serve as examples of them...otherwise you are just barking at the wind.

I don't like puzzle caches, and my (Geocaching) life would be much simpler if they were eradicated completely.

But, I have found a few, and I'm not calling for their removal.

I have two premium caches. I made them premium because I had previous caches in the area muggled. The result? These new premium caches have not been muggled. The bottom line is almost no muggle is going to pay 30 bucks to go mess with caches. Indeed, it's tough enough to get a geocacher on here to pay the 30 bucks, much less a muggle! :P

I must admit I do enjoy the audit log feature of premium caches. I really wish those logs were available for all caches, not just premium. But yeah, I think the premium cache option is a good thing.

I wonder why some Caches are for Premium Members Only. For my opinion this is not the meaning of Geocaching. What is the difference to "Normal" Members?!

Geocachers, who needs it exclusive, can open their own "Private Exquisite Geocaching Community"! Geocaching should be for EVERYONE who is interested in, not only for a few selected Snobs.

Are the people, who hides Caches for Premium Members Only, thinking that they are something better?! They pay not for exclusiveness, rather for a few exclusive functions!

DUDE!!!! HELLO!!! You're a premium member!!!

I oppose PMO caches.

Then I suggest you extend your opposition by not finding any more, and deleting your logs for the ones you have found.

Yes, deleting your logs will teach those PMO cache owners a lesson! :lol:

There´s no reason to be unobjective!

You oppose PMO caches, yet you are willing to find and log them. Your actions go against your alleged ethics, my friend.

Which side of your face do you wish to speak from?

If you talk the talk, you need to walk the walk.

I´m not premium member to hide or seek PMO caches, but I´m premium member to use the PM funktions of Groundspeak. And I don´t understand why my actions go against my ethics (which are real and not alleged)? I search the caches which I see on Groundspeak, I don´t especially search for PM caches. All I say is that it is a pity that not all can see this caches. And the argument, that it is an incentive for basic member to become premium members, is, from my sight, not right. People who I know don´t become a premium member because they have not enough time to cache continuously.

>Did you read where I said PMO reduces traffic in a sensitive area or to a fragile cache?

>Reducing traffic statistically reduces impact to the cache and environment.

in my area ALL active geocachers are PM,

all beginners start by going free,

and some beginners kind of dont know how to rehide again,

and log stuff correctly,

kids or bad people can not easily get the position without paying,

so far I did not personally see any reason why I should make a cache in PM only version,

but I respect why others do it, their move, not mine.

I wonder why some Caches are for Premium Members Only. For my opinion this is not the meaning of Geocaching. What is the difference to "Normal" Members?!

Geocachers, who needs it exclusive, can open their own "Private Exquisite Geocaching Community"! Geocaching should be for EVERYONE who is interested in, not only for a few selected Snobs.

Are the people, who hides Caches for Premium Members Only, thinking that they are something better?! They pay not for exclusiveness, rather for a few exclusive functions!

DUDE!!!! HELLO!!! You're a premium member!!!

After all the answers I know that this Post is unhappy worded. :-)

>Did you read where I said PMO reduces traffic in a sensitive area or to a fragile cache?

>Reducing traffic statistically reduces impact to the cache and environment.

in my area ALL active geocachers are PM,

all beginners start by going free,

and some beginners kind of dont know how to rehide again,

and log stuff correctly,

kids or bad people can not easily get the position without paying,

so far I did not personally see any reason why I should make a cache in PM only version,

but I respect why others do it, their move, not mine.

I understand and comprehend what you mean.

without question, a PM cache fares better in the field and there are less bogus NM and NA logs then for caches that are not PM. After yet another incident last week I made ALL my caches PM.

Maybe this is a regional issue. Around here I also encounter bogus NM logs, but there is no evidence that they come more often from basic members.

In my area many new inexperienced cachers are already PMs while there exist very experienced basic members. Consider a cache like that one

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=80a3269e-73cf-4d96-83d0-2c7cd8503d54

The cache is missing and cannot be found at the moment. Instead of temporarily disabling the cache the owner logged owner maintenance. I wrote a note last night, the owner has logged in meanwhile and did not react (the typical response by the way - it also happens in almost every second case where I explain to a cache owner how to remove an obsolete needs maintenance attribute). This is already the second incident of that type I came across in my area within the last 2 weeks.

Do not misunderstand me, every PM has the right to hide PM-only caches. I just do not believe that there is a real difference between the way PMs and basic members treat caches just based on the type of their membership.

Cezanne

This comes from a Non-Premium member, so take it for what it is probably worth...

First, I like PMO caches as they have become a new puzzle cache for me. I can solve the coords for most now in a few minutes when looking in an area I intend to search. Even though I am not one that goes for power trails, I have even solved and found a series of PMO caches that made a couple of mile long power trail. As some said, yes there are a couple of backdoor and actually even a front door way to log PMO caches.

As to letting the FTF bunch get to them first, that's not always the case. Example: I solved the coords for a new cache in another city where my brother lives (also a non-premium member) and he got the FTF. (by-the-way, I have never had a FTF. Ha!)

As to premium members making their caches PMO, that is your prerogative and I have no heartburn as you have paid for the right. You don't have to provide any justification for doing so either. Saying that, the largest benefit that I have seen to making a cache PMO is that it does cut down on the traffic to an area and the maintenance required, especially on "nanos" which have small log sheets that fill up fast.

On the notion that PMO caches are better caches, I am going to respectfully disagree. As a whole, I have not seen this. I have seen as many good BM caches as I have PMO caches and on the other side I have seen as many ho-hum PMO caches as I have BM caches (well probably not exactly as the percentage of PMO to BM caches doesn't quite equate).

As a side note: I do not use a PMO account to find the coords and I do it all legally with what information TPTB provide. No, I will not reveal how I do it as that is part of the puzzle aspect like any other puzzle to solve. :D

Make them PMO or BM. To me it really doesn't matter. Just have fun caching, as I do. :lol::D:lol:

I´m not premium member to hide or seek PMO caches, but I´m premium member to use the PM funktions of Groundspeak.

But isn't the ability to create a PMO cache just another benefit of premium membership, just as the ability to see the coordinates of PMO caches? Why aren't you complaining that basic members can't use Google maps or run pocket queries? Why isn't unfair to limit the off-topic forum to premium members? Why limit who can create a bookmark list or create a challenge?

And I don´t understand why my actions go against my ethics (which are real and not alleged)? I search the caches which I see on Groundspeak, I don´t especially search for PM caches.
We can decide on which premium feature we do or don't use. One can limit pocket queries to caches that "Are available to all users". But many people don't see this option. PMO cache are distinguished on the maps and in the search list, as well as on the cache page itself; still I might agree that it's easy to overlook if you aren't really trying to avoid PMO caches. But I will agree, that one can hunt PMO caches and still feel they are not a good idea.

All I say is that it is a pity that not all can see this caches. And the argument, that it is an incentive for basic member to become premium members, is, from my sight, not right. People who I know don´t become a premium member because they have not enough time to cache continuously.
It's probably true that someone who does't caches as often is not likely to get a premium membership to hunt PMO caches or anything else. However I can tell you in my case - when I went to hide my first geocache I saw there was a PMO cache on the trail where I was planning to hide my cache. Not being a very sophisticated user at the time, I didn't realize I could put in the coordinates where I wanted to hide the cache and see if it was within 161 meters of the PMO cache. So I spent the money to get a premium membership to see where the PMO cache was. I've renewed my membership every year for other reasons, but the PMO cache was the reason I first got it when I did.

You haven't stated clearly what disturbs you about PMO caches. It may be that you feel that hunting caches is different than interactive maps, pocket queries, or other PM benefits. If so, what is it that bothers you? It can't be that Groundspeak derives income from these caches, since you say this argument is not right. Should every cache be available to every cacher? What about caches placed where there is an admission fee or caches that require special equipment to get to? Or caches that are not wheelchair accessible? Where is the outrage against these discriminatory caches?

You haven't stated clearly what disturbs you about PMO caches.

PMO caches at themselves don´t disturbs me. It is difficult to explain it. Well, I will try:

I made a very nice (PMO) cache tour through a forest. Very beautiful nature. As I said, a colleague of me wants to make this cache tour too. But he is just BM, so he can´t see them on geocaching.com.

What I want to embody is, that it is a pity that he can´t see this caches.

But now I can understand why people make PMO caches. In my area aren´t so many PMO caches as in most of your areas. I think that americans and germans are different kind of cachers. That´s ok so. And I also accept why most of you make their caches PMO. Most of your arguments are now comprehensible for me. But some of my arguments I will keep. :-)

Again, thank you all very much for your answers, opinions and critics.

And a good secondary effect is, that I learned a little more english. :-)

PMO caches at themselves don´t disturbs me. It is difficult to explain it. Well, I will try:

I made a very nice (PMO) cache tour through a forest. Very beautiful nature. As I said, a colleague of me wants to make this cache tour too. But he is just BM, so he can´t see them on geocaching.com.

But now I can understand why people make PMO caches. In my area aren´t so many PMO caches as in most of your areas. I think that americans and germans are different kind of cachers. That´s ok so. And I also accept why most of you make their caches PMO. Most of your arguments are now comprehensible for me. But some of my arguments I will keep. :-)

The "backdoor" method to log PMO caches is fully accepted by Groundspeak (there have been many threads in which Groundspeak has no intentions of ever changing that). In the meantime, you can offer to go with your friend while he explores the area. I have visited a number of caches more than once while friends llok for caches I have already found. Going once on your own is memorable...but you never know the new things you will experience until you go again with your friend.

Edited by ArcherDragoon

On the notion that PMO caches are better caches, I am going to respectfully disagree. As a whole, I have not seen this. I have seen as many good BM caches as I have PMO caches and on the other side I have seen as many ho-hum PMO caches as I have BM caches (well probably not exactly as the percentage of PMO to BM caches doesn't quite equate).

Just for the sake of clarification, I don't think anyone was claiming that PMO caches are necessarily better. If, however, one of the reasons that a cache owner creates a PMO cache is to create an incentive for basic members to become a premium member, then that CO *should* attempt to create a cache that is generally higher in quality.

In practice, however, the incentive angle doesn't really work all that well because a basic member can't really judge the quality of a cache without viewing a complete description of the cache and all it does is display a message that the cache is PMO. If it included the full description, it would tell a basic member what they're missing.

But my opinion is still the same: I oppose PMO caches.
You mean you want something for nothing.. that line of thinking is exactly why the world is on the brink of economic collapse.

Unfortunately, it is miscommunication and unwillingness to try to understand that brings people to the brink of fisticuffs.

Please re-read the post that was placed 44 minutes before yours:

Wait - what? PMO caches don't disturb the OP.
...it is a pity that he can´t see this caches.
^^^His point^^^^
But now I can understand why people make PMO caches.
Ah - he's understanding through the language and culture barrier.
...I also accept why most of you make their caches PMO. Most of your arguments are now comprehensible for me. But some of my arguments I will keep.
A very excellent and well stated answer.

Locke72:

Verzeihen Sie meine schlechte Deutsch:

Viele der Leute hier nicht gern das Wort, das du benutzt: "opposed". Das Wort kann bedeuten, dass Sie eine Idee nicht mögen, aber es kann auch bedeuten, dass Sie denken, der Gedanke ist falsch. Sie sind sehr tolerant gegenüber Menschen, die nicht zeigte die gleiche Höflichkeit.

Edited by Markwell

Without reading the other responses, I'll offer you this. It constantly amazes me that people that have never hidden a cache come here and have the audacity to tell me how I should hide mine.

Go hide some caches. Get some caches stolen. Let a newbee take your cache home, or hide it across the trail because he thinks that's how the game is played. Have someone pee in your cache, or worse. Then come back and tell us why YOU decided to make your cache PMO.

For less than the cost of a movie at the theater, he can buy a 3 month membership. I bet he ups for a year before it's over.

I see!

You were upset that your friend 'could not' view the wonderful series that you enjoyed so much.

I would also be sad if my friend couldn't view such a series.

As you say, though, there are some societal differences between Germans and Americans! :o:lol:

For you, this is a problem of the cache owners who made their caches PMO.

For me, it is a problem of my friend who is too cheap to lay out a few $$$ for a membership.

without going through many pages of old posts and rants and raves. anybody simple list what the PMO fees go to? Is it simply update of the the Groundspeak page? Or is the money going to fund some secret ninja organization that finds all the cachers that place film canisters, cut and paste logs, and don't log DNF's and publicly mock them in multiple on-line forums?????????

without going through many pages of old posts and rants and raves. anybody simple list what the PMO fees go to? Is it simply update of the the Groundspeak page? Or is the money going to fund some secret ninja organization that finds all the cachers that place film canisters, cut and paste logs, and don't log DNF's and publicly mock them in multiple on-line forums?????????

No, that's volunteer work. :D

No more "Cache Police", now it's "Cache Ninjas"! That certainly sounds better.

It is different and we all know - audit logs make a big difference.

I do not oppose PM-only caches, but I oppose audit logs. They provide data to cache owners that are not supposed to be available to them.

Cezanne

I've always been of the mindset that my caches would not be PMO but lately one of my caches has become a target and I've lost two ammo cans. I'll probably move the cache a bit and make it a premium cache just to see if that makes any difference.

That being said, the one feature of a PMO listing that I really don't want are the audit logs. I have no interest in knowing who is viewing my cache page.

I do not oppose PM-only caches, but I oppose audit logs. They provide data to cache owners that are not supposed to be available to them.

Cezanne

I've always been of the mindset that my caches would not be PMO but lately one of my caches has become a target and I've lost two ammo cans. I'll probably move the cache a bit and make it a premium cache just to see if that makes any difference.

That being said, the one feature of a PMO listing that I really don't want are the audit logs. I have no interest in knowing who is viewing my cache page.

Like I've said before, the only time I even remember that I have audit logs is when someone brings it up in the forum. I really have no interest in them and if they disappeared tonight, I wouldn't even notice. It's kind of offensive that some people on this forum continue to insist that the only reason that everyone makes a cache PMO is because of the audit log.

Cezanne

Like I've said before, the only time I even remember that I have audit logs is when someone brings it up in the forum. I really have no interest in them and if they disappeared tonight, I wouldn't even notice. It's kind of offensive that some people on this forum continue to insist that the only reason that everyone makes a cache PMO is because of the audit log.

I'm fully aware of the fact that among the cachers that own PMO caches there are many who do not use the audit logs or would not care if they did not exist. There do exist, however, also cachers who make use of the audit logs and not in an overly harmless manner. What I tried to say was simply that I'm against audit logs. In my opinion, audit logs are an annoying feature.

Cezanne

aha that is neat..

I just dont know what I can use all this information for ?

maybe just for fun ? like so many others things really..

I have used it to help gauge how I should rate a puzzle cache. Based on the "known" puzzle solvers and how many times they have looked...and used a coordinate checker it will help me know how to adjust a rating and/or what types of hints are needed as questions come in from those looking. After 2 - 3 days, I then typically open up the cache by removing the PMO status.

aha that is neat..

Just one example of an unfortunate usage:

There are cachers who deduce from the fact that someone has viewed their cache several times, but has not visited it, that he/she might be an eligible candidate for having

stolen a missing cache.

Another is making public which persons are viewing certain caches many times or being contacted about a puzzle cache in an unsolicited manner.

I also would not like that someone automatically deduces that I'm working on a puzzle cache and it is either difficult or I'm silly based on the amount of time that lapsed between my last view and the current time. I might watch a cache (by manually clicking at the cache page) just out of curiosity about other's log with no intent at all to search for that cache in the near future.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

aha that is neat..

There are cachers who deduce from the fact that someone has viewed their cache several times, but has not visited it, that he/she might be an eligible candidate for having

stolen a missing cache.

Another is making public which persons are viewing certain caches many times or being contacted about a puzzle cache in an unsolicited manner.

I also would not like that someone automatically deduces that I'm working on a puzzle cache and it is either difficult or I'm silly based on the amount of time that lapsed between my last view and the current time. I might watch a cache (by manually clicking at the cache page) just out of curiosity about other's log with no intent at all to search for that cache in the near future.

Cezanne

Keep in mind...puzzle cachers in an area are well known...and no, I don't spam those looking...I use it to see who looked and knowing what I know about an area (basically...who the puzzle solvers are and are not)...it lets me know if I made something overly difficult that I didn't mean to do.

I am a premium member and I have a PM only cache listed. One of the reasons is that it was stolen three times. I made it a PM only cache and it is still there. If I want to make all my caches PM only, that is what I will do. I pay for the right to do that and I think others that pay for the hobby have the right to have and find PM only caches if they want to.

Edited by kwhart

aha that is neat..

stolen a missing cache.

Cezanne

Keep in mind...puzzle cachers in an area are well known...and no, I don't spam those looking...I use it to see who looked and knowing what I know about an area (basically...who the puzzle solvers are and are not)...it lets me know if I made something overly difficult that I didn't mean to do.

I did not refer to you. If you typically switch off the PMO status soon after the cache has been hidden, what I wrote above does not play any major role anyway. I referred to caches with a permanent PMO status. I would not like that anyone draws a conclusion about me just because I'm viewing his puzzle cache on each day on a regular basis over months.

I'm far from saying that everyone who has some usage for the audit log is using in a way I have a problem with. I'm just saying that there are cachers who use the audit log in an unfortunate manner.

Cezanne

aha that is neat..

stolen a missing cache.

Cezanne

I did not refer to you. If you typically switch off the PMO status soon after the cache has been hidden, what I wrote above does not play any major role anyway. I referred to caches with a permanent PMO status. I would not like that anyone draws a conclusion about me just because I'm viewing his puzzle cache on each day on a regular basis over months.

I'm far from saying that everyone who has some usage for the audit log is using in a way I have a problem with. I'm just saying that there are cachers who use the audit log in an unfortunate manner.

Cezanne

Yes! I know one person for sure that doing it along with trackers. Yike!

It's always amazing to me that so many people geocaching should be free.

Why? Because it's fun? So Disneyland should be free?

Driving's fun. Maybe that should be free too.

I have no idea.

I think there are other things that ought to be free.

Electricity and water for two.

Everyone needs water to live, so why isn't that free?? It should be. Electricity is pretty important. Why isn't that free??

Geocaching is really a luxury when you think about it. It's not needed for survival. It also takes a lot of people to run the website and company. So those people should work for free?? Why???

Perhaps you should work for free and let us know how it goes.