Words as Art

Hi everyone:

I am increasingly reviewing art pieces that are using only words as the format. I have been approving them in either the Abstract or the Silhouette category (since the actual medium tends to be a flat or 'thin' letters). These pieces are not suitable for Etched in Stone. Examples include:

R U N

As To Be In Plain Sight

Would there be support for a category for this art form? Should Silhouette be expanded to include this type of art? I would appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks, Outspoken1

Edited by Outspoken1

Hi everyone:

I am increasingly reviewing art pieces that are using only words as the format.

Would there be support for a category for this art form? Should Silhouette be expanded to include this type of art? I would appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks, Outspoken1

An intriguing concept.

While is possible to shoehorn some of these into the existing categories (The LOVE sculptures have been going in "Exact Replicas," for instance), I think there may be enough of these to sustain a category.

I suppose the challenge, as it usually is, lies in writing a good definition. How much "artistic" merit do they have to have to be accepted? How can they be differentiated from mere signs? 3-D only? And, they would have to be reasonably permanent.

I certainly think this is an idea worth pursuing.

Hi everyone:

To make life easier, I am just going to expand Silhouette to include art pieces where the piece is just words (in any language) or initials. We are getting a few (and I mean very few) Waymarks that are of this type. Instead of going through the process to create a new category, I am allowing that into the Silhouette category. Seems to just make life simpler.

Take care,

Outspoken1