[BUG] Newsletter is sent as HTML-Mail

ColleIsarco

Hi,

until last week the weekly newsletter from Groundspeak has been send as a plain text mal like i configured in my account details. But today it i received a HTML-formatted mail. And furthermore I can't decide which format i want the newsletter to receive like in former types.

Please bring this feature back!

Regards

ColleIsarco

In the Help Center section "1.6. Newsletter and Weekly Emailer", it says:

2.Modify your account information and check the appropriate boxes at the E-Mail Preferences page.

___ Show my email address to other users.

___ Inform me of helpful tips, new features and changes to the web site.

___ I want to receive the Groundspeak weekly newsletter.

___ Send emails from Groundspeak in HTML format when available.

However, when you click the link "E-Mail Preferences", those options are not there.

The only options I see now are:

Show my email address to other users.

I want to receive fun and helpful emails from Geocaching.com *

B.

Could you tell us what it is about the text formatting you prefer? From our side it is a bit limiting and also requires more resources to support than a strictly HTML newsletter. If enough users are in favor of the text-only format we may bring it back.

I find it easier to scan plain text than the HTML. I liked the linear layout, it was easy to skip a section, the HTML is all over the place with the side panels an such. The eye bounces around. I also liked the plain black text on the white background. The color and division just clutters things up.

Hi

Could you tell us what it is about the text formatting you prefer? From our side it is a bit limiting and also requires more resources to support than a strictly HTML newsletter. If enough users are in favor of the text-only format we may bring it back.

text/plain of course. I agree with JHolly that this format is easier to read and to handle.

Regards

I'm easy with either HTML or Plain Text as long as it displays appropriately. What I hate is when one gets plain text full of HTML tags (just like source code). I can read around it, but why. Don't take this to mean that I have been getting any of that on GS/GC, just that I hate when that happens.

Doug 7rxc

In the Help Center section "1.6. Newsletter and Weekly Emailer", it says:

2.Modify your account information and check the appropriate boxes at the E-Mail Preferences page.

___ Show my email address to other users.

___ Inform me of helpful tips, new features and changes to the web site.

___ I want to receive the Groundspeak weekly newsletter.

___ Send emails from Groundspeak in HTML format when available.

However, when you click the link "E-Mail Preferences", those options are not there.

The only options I see now are:

Show my email address to other users.

I want to receive fun and helpful emails from Geocaching.com *

B.

Yup, that's what I see - Haven't received the Weekly Newsletter for about a month (July 6th).

I see from the emails that I do receive that both of my email accounts in my details work, so ... what now? ...

Help!

Oh yes, + about a billion about sending in plain text format!

Edited by Fuzzywhip

One thing I notice about the new HTML format is that it doesn't include the GC numbers for the new caches, as part of the text. I had just gotten my system working nice with the new GSAK API feature 'Get Caches' by GCXXXX code. I could just take the text and parse out the GC codes, put them in the textbox, and get my own custom query of the new caches in the announcement, in minutes.

Now, the HTML version doesn't have the GC codes displayed with the link text like it does the events. Ok, so maybe I can scan the source code instead. So, I do a 'View Message Source' in my browser, only to find base-64 encoded everything. Yuck- no codes at all, so it's back to the server-intensive and time-consuming method of having to fully load each individual cache page, and click 'Get GPX' to manually get them one at a time.

I'm just glad that I can display HTML format messages- otherwise I would effectively be without the update.

Could you tell us what it is about the text formatting you prefer?
In addition to what others have said, the columns in the HTML version get squished in my normal email reading environment, like this:
Write a Log to

Remember

Some logs posted on

Geocaching.com offer only a

snapshot into the geocaching

adventure, but great logs

produce a panoramic view of

the geocaching quest. Great

logs inform other geocachers of

what they might expect on

their caching adventure. They

also reward cache owners, who

enjoy reading about the

experiences of those seeking

their caches.

Most of my email does not use columns, so that's what my normal email reading environment is optimized for.

The text version was better on my phone too, although I never read it there.

From our side it is a bit limiting and also requires more resources to support than a strictly HTML newsletter. If enough users are in favor of the text-only format we may bring it back.
I wouldn't mind a strictly text-only newsletter, but clearly I'm in the minority.

Are you serious?

More than 350k html vs. < 70k for the text version. This step taken nowadays, when reading email by way of mobile networks is quite ordinary.

Where before a member had several independent options, info and/or advertising blurb, the default format being text, they now have been merged into only one:

Take it all (including privacy invading from click tracking) or nothing.

Once more it seems, a degradation of features is being sold as a step taken forward.

The majority of posters to this topic speaks clearly in favor of the text format.

Yup, that's what I see - Haven't received the Weekly Newsletter for about a month (July 6th).

I see from the emails that I do receive that both of my email accounts in my details work, so ... what now? ...

Help!

Oh yes, + about a billion about sending in plain text format!

The emailed 'newsletter' subject was changed, try looking manually, now it has a 'topic' making it harder to spot. Impossible (maybe) to sort by. This weeks was " 5 Tips For Great Logs " or close.

The format is largely the same when viewed regardless of how you do it. Some here have mentioned minor changes to the format.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

The reason I want text format BACK is because I get my mail in AOL browser and when you send newsletter in HTML I can not see any of the graphics in AOL. You should check it out.

I find it easier to scan plain text than the HTML. I liked the linear layout, it was easy to skip a section, the HTML is all over the place with the side panels an such. The eye bounces around. I also liked the plain black text on the white background. The color and division just clutters things up.

He says it better than me, so I'll just quote this. :lol:

What can I say, I'm an old-school guy. I always leave HTML off on my email client. Probably always will.

HTML e-mails are a lot harder to read especially for those with disabilities. Plain Text e-mails can be displayed at in a format selected by the reader, whereas HTML e-mails are restricted to a format that makes it difficult to read for some people. The links in HTML e-mails are harder to see. HTML e-mails also take up a lot more space.

I prefer HTML mail, but if you decide to go back to text that's fine too. You also have the option of multipart MIME. I imagine no one would have problems reading that (even console readers like Pine support it these days).

Any news on this issue?

GMail does not show the newsletter any more since it is to large. It is unreadable now, the text stop in middle of the list of event-caches.

The plain-text version did fit the restrictions and was shown in full length. This is annoying, I want my newsletter back!

Regards

ColleIsarco

GMail does not show the newsletter any more since it is to large. It is unreadable now, the text stop in middle of the list of event-caches.

Your problem is caused by something other than Gmail. It displays just fine for me, and I'm even using an old browser (IE 7). I can see the entire email, right down to the footer at the very bottom.

Hi A-Team,

Your problem is caused by something other than Gmail. It displays just fine for me, and I'm even using an old browser (IE 7). I can see the entire email, right down to the footer at the very bottom.

I live in Germany and are a large number of new caches and events listed in each newsletter. In last one there has been 325 Events and 637 new Caches. Are these numbers comparable to Yours?

I'm using FireFox 15.0 as browser and it has now problems showing the complete newsletter after extracting the original RFC822 text and converting it to HTML-Code.

Regards

ColleIsarco