Onling Log ettiquette

ScouterBill174

Not sure I understand what you're asking....you find a cache, you sign the physical log, when you get home you go online and log your find (or Did Not Find, as the case may be). Or log it in the field from a smartphone, if you please.

So you log your attempt online after you have signed the physical log. Am I missing something?

You don't even have to log online if you prefer not to - some people don't - but the vast majority do log so that they can record their find on this site, say a few words about their search and let the cache owner know what they thought of the hide/location/weather/condition of the cache etc.

You should do the online log after you've found the physical cache, and signed your name on the log, and replaced the cache in its original position.

MrsB :)

I have been browsing for some time now and I can't seem to find the answer to my question of when should one place his or her log on line detailing wheter or not you found a cache.

Log your experiences online as soon as you have time to do so after finding/not finding a cache. There is no deadline. Just share what happened - it isn't a scorecard.

I log as soon as I can after finding the cache. That usually means when I get home that evening. My log will usually mention something about the hunt, anything interesting or unusual that happened, what I thought of the area and how much I enjoyed myself. Cache owners love hearing from finders and most like to read more than "Found it" or "TFTC".

Most people will log their find/DNF the same day. Some people will take a few days or weeks to get around to it, others won't log online at all.

Whatever you do, just make sure you select the right date.

As to what to include, again, it's up to you.

Cache owners will appreciate a sentence or two about your hunt. If there are any issues with the cache, you can mention that in your log as well.

As a cache owner i would say log your visit asap, whether it be find or a dnf.

Two reasons for this,

If you find it and post a log, i know its still there and in play for all to find (not to mention i quite enjoy reading the stories that go with some finds - "TFTC" tells me its there, but is a bit boring)

Secondly, if you post a DNF, I am likely to see the post and keep an eye on it. I'll even check a cache after one DNF if i am in the area.

Either way, its all good if you log your visit, from a maintenance point of view and a reading about the hunt involved in finding it :)

Edited by davejp84

Hello! Thanks to the OP for asking this question; I couldn't find any info on this subject. Thanks for all the replies as well. I'm gathering that it's fine to log a paragraph or so? I looked at other logs for examples (I'm brand new to geocaching).

Also, I've had several caches that I haven't found but I am certain that is due to the fact that I am new (I'm hoping I will get better!). I haven't logged on the ones I didn't find b/c of my inexperience...should I be logging them anyway? (I get that it's personal preference but I'm wondering what would be best).

Thank you, everyone!

Hello! Thanks to the OP for asking this question; I couldn't find any info on this subject. Thanks for all the replies as well. I'm gathering that it's fine to log a paragraph or so? I looked at other logs for examples (I'm brand new to geocaching).

Also, I've had several caches that I haven't found but I am certain that is due to the fact that I am new (I'm hoping I will get better!). I haven't logged on the ones I didn't find b/c of my inexperience...should I be logging them anyway? (I get that it's personal preference but I'm wondering what would be best).

Thank you, everyone!

It's a great idea to make an online log for any Geocache you attempt regardless of whether or not you find it. All info is valuable, to Cache Owners, to other cachers, and maybe even to you later.

And you can type a log as lengthy as you wish. There's a text limit, but some wordy cachers will start a Log Note to continue the story.

Edited by kunarion

It's a great idea to make an online log for any Geocache you attempt regardless of whether or not you find it. All info is valuable, to Cache Owners, to other cachers, and maybe even to you later.

And you can type a log as lengthy as you wish. There's a text limit, but some wordy cachers will start a Log Note to continue the story.

Brilliant! Thank you very much for the information.

Sorry to bump this up but I thought it would be better to bump that to start a new thread(?). I posted a long log but edited it way down b/c I remembered that it will show on GPS and phones and will take up space, IIRC.

I saved my other comments but would still like to share them...just not sure how to make a log note (I searched the forum and hunted around the cache page). TY!

Sorry to bump this up but I thought it would be better to bump that to start a new thread(?). I posted a long log but edited it way down b/c I remembered that it will show on GPS and phones and will take up space, IIRC.

I saved my other comments but would still like to share them...just not sure how to make a log note (I searched the forum and hunted around the cache page). TY!

On the cache page you'll again choose "log your visit," but when you get to the page where you type your log, in the drop down menu for "Select Type of Log," choose "Write Note."

I posted a long log but edited it way down b/c I remembered that it will show on GPS and phones and will take up space, IIRC.

If what you've posted is worthy, then don't worry about the space. It can sometimes be inconvenient, but that's a reasonable tradeoff to have your quality log.

Furthermore, I don't know about other GPSrs, but my PN-60 treats Note logs no different than Found logs, so splitting them doesn't help. Indeed, posting a Note in addition to a Found log is the worst thing you can do from my point of view, since I still have to scroll past it, plus because you posted 2 logs, I'm going to get one fewer log downloaded from someone else.

I think this article of the geocaching.com newsletter does describe it very good:

"Write a log to remember."

http://blog.geocaching.com/2012/08/geocaching-com-weekly-newsletter-august-8-2012/

The log entry is basically the reward for the cache owners who create, place and (hopefully) maintain the cache. So don't hesitate to write a longer log entry if you think the cache is worth it.

I think this article of the geocaching.com newsletter does describe it very good:

"Write a log to remember."

http://blog.geocaching.com/2012/08/geocaching-com-weekly-newsletter-august-8-2012/

The log entry is basically the reward for the cache owners who create, place and (hopefully) maintain the cache. So don't hesitate to write a longer log entry if you think the cache is worth it.

Thank you for the link and advice! I'm always interested in learning more. :)

Hmmm...okay. Thanks for the replies. The extra info doesn't add anything useful, really, so I just won't add it. Maybe I'll find a 'did you ever get injured while caching?' thread and add it there, lol.

Getting injured sounds like a very interesting thing to add to the log, particularly if it has something to do with the cache, of course -- "don't come in from this direction" -- but even if the injury was completely unrelated to the cache, that's an important part of your experience.

Getting injured sounds like a very interesting thing to add to the log, particularly if it has something to do with the cache, of course -- "don't come in from this direction" -- but even if the injury was completely unrelated to the cache, that's an important part of your experience.

Good to know! I have so much still to learn. Fortunately, my husband wasn't injured but I about had a heart attack as I watched him, quite literally ROLL down a nearby rock hill (well, a hill loaded with rocks, anyway, lol).

For us, we have gotten into a routine for what we like to post in logs:

Time Found

Target Areas of our cache run (listing all the towns involved so the cache owner can get a feel from where we are coming or going in relation to their cache.)

Our Cache run goals (Are we after a specific challenge type of cache, only doing puzzles, in town and grabbing all we can whatever)

Weather (ok, this one is more for us for when we go back are read old logs but it can be useful)

A brief summary of experience.

We typically end with:

Cache and log condition

How we sign (lately, we've been stating we will use initials since the rise of micros continues)

We will write out "Thanks for the cache" mainly because we view this as a minimum of politeness.

We will add what number of find this is in the cache run and our total # of finds that this cache was.

This ends up being a large log.

Do people like it or not...we don't know.

As cache owners ourselves, we would prefer all of the above information than just a :D or TFTC but that is just us.

Happy Caching! - hawkeyetob

This ends up being a large log.

Do people like it or not...we don't know.

If it were just one cache, I wouldn't have a problem with this. I only find it annoying when there are five caches in the park, and every single one of them has this duplicate blurb about your day. The stuff specific to the cache I don't have a problem with: all those details can get old, but I agree it's justified if you like it. I have to admit, "N of M caches today" always seems like bragging, or at least being presumptious about how many people care about your caching run. On the other hand, posting this cache's overall number for you is cool. I often wish the system could do that for us automatically. When looking at a log from 5 years ago, it would certainly be way more useful seeing how many caches that person had found at the time instead of their current found count.

To me, any log that contains more than "TFTC" (or "TNLNSL TFTC") is a good thing. Copy and paste logs can be annoying, but if you individualize them -- copy and paste part, but still talk about your experience at a given cache -- I have no problem with that.

This is true for paper log books as well, by the way...if there's room to leave more than your name and the date, it's nice to see. Always disappointing to open up a big log book and see just a list of names and dates.

To me, any log that contains more than "TFTC" (or "TNLNSL TFTC") is a good thing. Copy and paste logs can be annoying, but if you individualize them -- copy and paste part, but still talk about your experience at a given cache -- I have no problem with that.

This is true for paper log books as well, by the way...if there's room to leave more than your name and the date, it's nice to see. Always disappointing to open up a big log book and see just a list of names and dates.

With a series, that's what I do, copy & paste the first paragraph with a summary of our day and then add a second paragraph specific to that cache :)

As for paper logs, personally I disagree there. I see the paper log as just being proof, there is always space online for a good write up so I just sign & date the paper log. The reason for this...many caches get muggled and logbooks never seen, that can't happen with the online one. Additionally, I do like to right nice length logs, the owner has put the effort in placing the cache (usually) I like to write a nice log....however, doing that twice when the paper one may never be read/found seems kinda pointless and more work than necessary :)

With a series, that's what I do, copy & paste the first paragraph with a summary of our day and then add a second paragraph specific to that cache :)

As for paper logs, personally I disagree there. I see the paper log as just being proof, there is always space online for a good write up so I just sign & date the paper log. The reason for this...many caches get muggled and logbooks never seen, that can't happen with the online one. Additionally, I do like to right nice length logs, the owner has put the effort in placing the cache (usually) I like to write a nice log....however, doing that twice when the paper one may never be read/found seems kinda pointless and more work than necessary :)

On paper logs, I guess I'm just nostalgic. We started caching in Germany, and unless it was a micro log, cachers would leave at least a couple sentences about their experiences. When we came to the States, suddenly logs became only lists of names and dates. Pretty much the only time I ever see notes left by anyone these days is when some muggle finds it, thinks it's neat, and leaves a note.

Now and then we'll find a nice big old cache with an original logbook, and it's fun to read through people's experiences. But they're becoming rarer, and it disappoints me a little.

On paper logs, I guess I'm just nostalgic. We started caching in Germany, and unless it was a micro log, cachers would leave at least a couple sentences about their experiences. When we came to the States, suddenly logs became only lists of names and dates. Pretty much the only time I ever see notes left by anyone these days is when some muggle finds it, thinks it's neat, and leaves a note.

Now and then we'll find a nice big old cache with an original logbook, and it's fun to read through people's experiences. But they're becoming rarer, and it disappoints me a little.

I enjoyed the time when there were real logs on paper. I always enjoyed sitting beside the cache, paging through the logbook and reading the logs. It was always interesting to read people's immediate impression of the cache hunt untempered by time. What went on the paper log was often different from what went in the online log. It was also fun to sit at the cache and read about everyone's experience there, incl. non geocachers and geocachers who don't log online.

I sometimes found it fascinating to be sitting at the cache, swatting mosquitoes and soaked in sweat, reading about someone digging the cache out from under 3 feet of snow three winters ago. There is something to be said about being at that site, reading about other's experience getting to that very spot, weeks ago and sometimes years ago. I think it's a real shame that writing in the paper logs is a lost art and it's one of the aspects of the early years of geocaching that I miss. I still write those paper logs though.

Edited by briansnat