delete too many caches

4thnoel

Yes I am new and very naive about how to use my brand spanking new Garmen Oregon 550. I downloaded about 100 or so cache sites and need to clean it up a bit so I can re-download the easier ones that are near me and not some of the ones that are 200 miles from me.

How did you download the caches to the device? Did you "Send to GPS" one at a time or did you create a Pocket Query? Which caches are you trying to delete? If you downloaded them through a PQ, you can't delete individual caches, you'd have to delete the whole GPX file, run another PQ that better represents the caches you want, and download that new GPX file to the unit.

I guess I'm not really sure what it is you're trying to do....

Besides, what difference does it make how many caches you have on the unit? The Oregon can hold thousands. When you tell it to find Geocaches it will list them in order of proximity to your current location, ie, those closest to you first. Doesn't matter if you have 20 or 2,000. You won't have to scroll through the whole list to find nearby caches.

Edited by Chief301

I downloaded a bunch at a time and had them sent to my gps. I am a premium member and do not know what a Pocket Query is yet. I downloaded cashes in places where I have friends and where I used to live in case I went there but found that I could not keep track of the ones closest to my house! Like I said I am new and just doing easy and close ones for now.

I downloaded a bunch at a time and had them sent to my gps. I am a premium member and do not know what a Pocket Query is yet. I downloaded cashes in places where I have friends and where I used to live in case I went there but found that I could not keep track of the ones closest to my house! Like I said I am new and just doing easy and close ones for now.

A PQ is a way to download up to 1000 caches using criteria you specify for either an area or along a route. Downloaded as a single GPX file that is easily loaded on many newer GPS units.

Great PQ tutorial - http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

or

Search for "nearest" caches on your gps should do the trick.

and logging out of, then back into, the forums should make that PM show up in your profile.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol