WHAT DO YOU SAY?

Depends on the circumstances and who "caught" me - but generally - I just tell them the truth if they ask. If they just stare at me - I go about my business and try to look professional - after a few moments - they tend to ignore me and move on. Although, I have been known to hold the GPS up to the side of my face and pretend it is a cell phone - or quickly pull out my camera and shoot some photos (carrying a field guide to local fauna and flora helps).

"Hi! How are you today?"

As they say, I'm an adult so I don't have to explain myself. I'm not doing anything wrong, so no excuses are needed.

Some will and do start asking questions.

It depends on the situation as to what I'll answer.

If they ask what I'm doing , I may say "nothing". it's none of their business .

Most of the time I'll tell them I'm geocaching.

If they're wearing a uniform, I'll definitely tell them I am geocaching.

Whaddayamean.... Caught? As if I am doing something wrong?

I know, I know... it's just terminology, and you probably could not think of a better word to use when you posted.

In truth, I tell them the truth. There is no harm in that. Typically however, I DO NOT reveal the cache to them, or if I have it in hand do I show them the hiding spot. We never sign the log, etc. in place, if at all possible. We most always take the cache and contents away from the hiding spot just in case we are "spotted".

To do otherwise is to invite "mugglings".

------------------

As far as being "caught", I am caught regularly on briars and brambles, sometimes in a hole, occasionally up a tree, and without a flashlight -- once, never again! Was caught once between mama bear and the cubs, but she took the friendly route and just 'woofed', the cubs scrambled away and she followed -- whew!

I have a dayglo green vest and hat that I put on to do "cachin' stuff" where lots of people are present. I also have a clipboard that I will sometimes complete the outfit with. It doubles a safety gear on roadside caches.

I can pretty much do what I want right out in the open. It's really uninteresting watching someone that you think is about to perform manual labor.

Move with purpose and resist the urge to look around to see who is watching because that is a dead giveaway for suspicious activity.

I start barking and talking to my invisible friends Carl Rove and The wicked witch of the north.

But seriously if I'm in a high muggle area I bring my dog and a poop bag...

Also FYI for guys you can pee pretty much anywhere as long as u don't look down no one notices.

Edited by Dan2099

This morning on my way in I saw a guy working landscaping, and he had a big trash bag. He was not geocaching, but it occurred to me that carrying a big trash bag probably causes you to be ignored -- it adds you to the invisible people that keep things neat and no one wants to think about.

Ha! He fooled you.... he WAS geocaching, or maybe picking up returnable/recyclable cans.

This morning on my way in I saw a guy working landscaping, and he had a big trash bag. He was not geocaching, but it occurred to me that carrying a big trash bag probably causes you to be ignored -- it adds you to the invisible people that keep things neat and no one wants to think about.

I don't know - YOU noticed him. Sounds like you watched for a bit. :rolleyes:

I have a dayglo green vest and hat that I put on to do "cachin' stuff" where lots of people are present. I also have a clipboard that I will sometimes complete the outfit with. It doubles a safety gear on roadside caches.

I can pretty much do what I want right out in the open. It's really uninteresting watching someone that you think is about to perform manual labor.

Move with purpose and resist the urge to look around to see who is watching because that is a dead giveaway for suspicious activity.

Thsi works amazingly well, and it gives you great confidence when in public places. Just last night i used the hi-viz vest method to place a cache in an urban area that took a few minutes to place, worked a treat.

If i'm searching i'd just tell them i'm geocaching, you've done nothing wrong.

Edited by Z3ROIN

Happened to us just this weekend. There was a cache hidden right near a bank drive-thru that we were having a hard time finding so we were there for several minutes poking through a hedge. Most people looked at us but didn't bother to stop. One lady, however, pulled over and asked us "Can I help you?" in a concerned voice. Our policy is that when someone asks what we are doing we tell the truth so we told her, "geocaching". Turns out she has heard of it and told us she was hoping to get her kids into it so she said "good luck" and drove on.

One time we were looking for a hide in the overflow parking lot of a motel. A woman drove out to this deserted area and asked us what we were doing. We told her we were geocaching and what it was all about and she was furious. She says she was the property owner and she did not give permission to place a cache there. We didn't make a fuss. We just left. (btw... we contacted the CO, told him what happened and he archived the cache so no one else would have the same issue).

My hubby is a law enforcement officer and he will tell you that all police have heard of geocaching so if they approach you about what you're doing, tell the truth. They may ask you to move on if it's a private area or after dark. It's those who try to make up stories that rouse suspicion.

If it's law enforcement, we'll immediately say "Geocaching;" most of them have heard of it. Once when we were approached by law enforcement, he was a cacher, too. Another time in City Park in New Orleans, we searched for a cache right next to a parked police cruiser (it was Jazzfest time and they were everywhere in the park); they, of course, wanted to know what we were doing, and we found the cache right in front of them--they had heard of it but had never actually seen a cache. They later shouted encouragement to us as they drove by when we were searching in another part of the park!

For others, a general response of something like, "It's a GPS game," is sufficient. We usually won't tell anyone that we're searching for an object. Just keep it simple.

All the people I've met tend to be fellow geocachers cautiously prodding to see if I am one too (I guess after a while the behaviours become familiar!) so it's a few seconds of careful conversation until we're both sure :laughing:

The couple I haven't I've either just said "I'm geocaching" which usually results in an odd look and walking off, or just simply said I'm looking for/at something. I've noticed no muggle questions you if you have a dog though.

Just happened to me this morning - we were about to walk into a heavily wooded area behind a business (which was closed because it's saturday) - I'm not sure why but someone was there and she *flipped out* on me that I was taking my children into the woods... "but there are wild animals back there!!", she sputtered as we walked in anyway...

my son turned around as we were getting deeper in and he said she was just standing there shaking her head at us...

It happened again yesterday.

We spent at least 45 minutes looking for stage one of a multi that turned out to not be there.

While we were looking a couple sat down at a picnic table in the park and proceeded to use us for their entertainment and watched us. They finally got up and came over and asked us what we'd lost that was creating such an incredibly thorough search.

I did a short explanation of geocaching, and the man said, "OH!! You mean you're doing a scavenger hunt!"

I just agreed to keep it simple.

Now that they were "in on it" we were able to ask if we could search their picnic table and they were very happy to be a part of the game.

Earlier this week I asked someone to join me in the search. I was alone up a mountain in the woods, and was worried about falling off of it while searching alone with darkness falling. He had heard of caching and enthusiastically agreed. Together we found it. He was really excited about it. Another muggle turned "convert."

#1- We do not even attempt to be stealthy- we search when and where we want. We do not care if others see us. This is not some "spy game" it is Geocaching. I could really care less if others see us retrieve the cache log it and place it back. If they are interested and ask I will explain Geocaching to them. If they decide to grab the cache and check it out for themselves, that is up to them. A good CO will place an explanation card in the cache.

#2- Quit acting like you are doing something "special". For crying out loud, all you are doing is finding a Geocache.

#3- Caught?? Implies you have done something wrong. What are you doing wrong?

Now that they were "in on it" we were able to ask if we could search their picnic table and they were very happy to be a part of the game.

Earlier this week I asked someone to join me in the search. I was alone up a mountain in the woods, and was worried about falling off of it while searching alone with darkness falling. He had heard of caching and enthusiastically agreed. Together we found it. He was really excited about it. Another muggle turned "convert."

That's always the best story. Thank you for sharing the sport.

bd

Edited by BlueDeuce

Filed this report today on GCMR5T:

While signing the log for this cache (I am amazed that it survives) about 8 a.m., I was approached by the World's Dumbest Security Guard.

"What ya doin'?" he mumbled.

"Do you know about geocaching?" I answered, deciding to play it straight.

I held up my GPS receiver, and with a look of fear in his dull eyes, he backed away. I said something about "legal" and "scavenger hunt."

"Do you live around here?" he asked.

"I'm staying at the Vagabond Inn," I said. (It is a block away.) "I'll just put this back and be on my way."

He turned and walked away. I put the cache back, and I noticed a woman who appeared to be taking my picture with a cell phone — either that, or she found the architecture fascinating.

Carry a clipboard with a pen. You need the pen anyway.

As a variation on that, carrying a paper notebook and a pen, especially if you've got a pair of binoculars around your neck works well in more woodsy environments. I find it much easier to blend in when there are lots of muggles about. When it's just you and 1-2 people walking down a trail it's a lot more difficult to be inconspicuous.

I've had people ask, in a very friendly manner, if I had lost something and would I like their help to look for it. Most of the time I'll say "no, it's okay" and they move on. When actually caught red-handed, I'll introduce geocaching to them which seems to satisfy the curious. I did have one incident where a woman who was walking her dog doubled back to ask what I was doing behind a large tree. Her sharp tone and arms akimbo prompted me ask if having a dog on a leash would make it okay for me to be where I was. That started a heated "who can use these trails" conversation which, thankfully, ended quickly.

Never yet been caught with the cache itself - I have been caught looking for it and the nice folks usually want to help - I tell them I am looking for bugs to photograph but I don't think they believe me, cause I am walking to fast for that. They really are interested and can't quit so I leave and come back later.

Sometimes I tell them - everyone is usually nice and don't seem to be asking with a bad attitude.

I Geocache with my wife. If someone asks what we’re doing, I tell them that we’re Geocaching, point to my wife and say, “Explain it”. My dear companion of 45 years loves to chat and will rattle on until the muggle’s ears start to bleed. I’m already back in the car, enjoying a refreshing beverage and resting between caches.

it is only a problem with kids,

kids are often VERY interested in what we do,

they will go to the location and they will find the cache

and they will forget to put it back in correct spot and all that.

>hey did you loose something ?

no not really.

>can we help searching ?

SURE, we are counting dog pop in this area

and sorting them into, hardness, size, colour, smell..

please help us all day, we need you to be specielly good on the smell part of it.

now they run away, and will for sure not go here again and look for anything at all.

cache is saved..

I Geocache with my wife. If someone asks what we’re doing, I tell them that we’re Geocaching, point to my wife and say, “Explain it”. My dear companion of 45 years loves to chat and will rattle on until the muggle’s ears start to bleed. I’m already back in the car, enjoying a refreshing beverage and resting between caches.

Lol my hubby isn't the geocacher in the family, but he tags along as he comes in handy now and again, but I was surprised the other day when he went on to explain to a muggle and then got quite technical. :blink: I think deep down he is a closet geocacher! :D Come to think of it............he is usually in control of my gps ! -_-

Went on my first geocaching adventure with some friends on Saturday. As I was in the storm drain grabbing the cache, my friends were above looking down into the grate at me. Several people asked them if they were ok or if they needed help. Nobody asked what they were doing though! We were asked what we were doing when we were under a bridge grabbing a cache. I made some comment about Billy Goats Gruff. But we did then say we were geocaching. Being a newbie, I have not yet been questioned by a uniform.

Lol my hubby isn't the geocacher in the family, but he tags along as he comes in handy now and again, but I was surprised the other day when he went on to explain to a muggle and then got quite technical. :blink: I think deep down he is a closet geocacher! :D Come to think of it............he is usually in control of my gps ! -_-

I can relate to your husband a bit. I can't climb trees, but Shark is a very good climber. I'm the ground guy who throws the line in the tree and sends binoculars up when needed etc. I really enjoy when she makes a find. Must say that I probably wouldn't be like that with anyone else...probably much like your husband.