How can I avoid drilling into a tree?

Anonymike7

Hi all,

I've been working out the details of a cache hide with a mechanical component (essentially a counter-weighted rope system). I'd like to install it up in a tree, but would like to follow the rules and avoid doing any drilling to set eyebolts. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can "painlessly" and securely mount some eyes or rings on a tree limb?

Hi all,

I've been working out the details of a cache hide with a mechanical component (essentially a counter-weighted rope system). I'd like to install it up in a tree, but would like to follow the rules and avoid doing any drilling to set eyebolts. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can "painlessly" and securely mount some eyes or rings on a tree limb?

You could use zip ties and key rings. Or if the tree is larger rope and rings.

Keep in mind the prohibition about drilling into a tree is largely a perception issue - not any real issue with harming the tree. The land owner/manager/public may wish to no more see a bungee corded 2x4 in a tree as an eyebolt drilled into it. Both can make us Geocachers look bad.