Garmin GPSMAP 62sc + Micro SDHC card?

I have a 8GB MicroSDHC card from Amazon Basics in my 62S and it works just fine. I have over 5GB of maps loaded on it (mostly topo maps) and have never had a problem accessing any of them.

Interesting. I've read that there was a 4GB limit for vector maps, but an unlimited size for KMZ and JNX maps. Do you have more than 4GB of vector maps?

What I have found is that there is a 4Gb limit to the total size of selected quads/segments that MapSource or BaseCamp will put into a gmapsupp.img file. Each gives an error message if the total is larger.

I selected 1/2 of an 8Gb mapset, sent it to the micro memory card, renamed the gmapsupp.img file to xxx_west.img; then did the same for the other 1/2, renaming it xxx_east.img. My OR300 shows it a a single mapset. At 80 seconds startup time when the card is in the OR300, I do consider it very useful. I have not tested to see if this is 10 seconds per Gb, nor if something could be changed to shorten the startup time.

I have a 8GB MicroSDHC card from Amazon Basics in my 62S and it works just fine. I have over 5GB of maps loaded on it (mostly topo maps) and have never had a problem accessing any of them.

Interesting. I've read that there was a 4GB limit for vector maps, but an unlimited size for KMZ and JNX maps. Do you have more than 4GB of vector maps?

Hmm, didn't know about that, but I think snowfleurys above me nailed it. I have my maps loaded in 23 individual *.img files. The largest one (City Navigator) is only about 1.2 GB. Most of the others are only a few hundred MB. I use the GUI to select which one(s) to activate.

4GB is the limit for a single FAT32 file. You can have multiple files. Edited by coggins
I have my maps loaded in 23 individual *.img files. The largest one (City Navigator) is only about 1.2 GB. Most of the others are only a few hundred MB. I use the GUI to select which one(s) to activate.

You can see all 23 individual *.img files in the Map Selection Menu on your GPSr?

Yes.

I have a 4GB in mine. I might go up to larger one at some point, but for now the built-in memory plus the extra 4GB is plenty. The only annoying thing about having a MicroSD card in my 62sc is that on my Mac when I eject the built-in memory and the MicroSD card, after a few seconds they mount again. So I have to eject and then quickly disconnect the 62sc before they remount. It never did that when I didn't have the MSD card in it. Does that happen on Windows too?