Emails on power series

stopngo

How can I slow the number of emails down :) Ive started a power series and am afraid to add or release anymore caches until I can turn off the "Found It" that are flooding my inbox.

Was thinking I could leave emails on a select few of the power series, but not all of them? Only time I need notified on these is if there is a problem

Edited by stopngo

The quickest and easiest way to stop the emails is to archive the caches. Then after a brief period of folks catching up on their logging the emails will dwindle to just one now and then. You could also get a throw away email account and then switch your Groundspeak email to this account. You can safely ignore this account and not be bothered again by emails from Groundspeak. Of course one day you might wonder what happened to all your wonderful caches.

If all caches in your series begin with a common word or phrase, like "Route 100 Trail," create an email filter rule that sends mail to a separate folder from your inbox if the subject contains the phrase "found Route 100." Your primary email inbox would still show you any DNF, Needs Maintenance, Reviewer Note or Needs Archived logs - all things you'd want to read.

If your series is typically found "linearlly" (in order along a road or trail) rather than being scattered around a region, you will want to receive and read the logs on the first and last caches in the series. Here is where most geocachers will write unique logs, leaving the copy/paste routine for the caches in the middle. There are at least three ways to keep those logs from getting caught up in your filter. One is to break the search string by naming the first cache "Start: Route 100 Series" and the last cache "End: Route 100 Series."

The quickest and easiest way to stop the emails is to archive the caches. Then after a brief period of folks catching up on their logging the emails will dwindle to just one now and then. You could also get a throw away email account and then switch your Groundspeak email to this account. You can safely ignore this account and not be bothered again by emails from Groundspeak. Of course one day you might wonder what happened to all your wonderful caches.

Yep. Don't create a power trail/series if you don't want lots of found it logs. Better yet, don't create one period. Just my personal opinion. Ignore the moderator/reviewer helpful suggestions. They will simply prolong your agony as the owner of a power trail/series.

How can I slow the number of emails down :) Ive started a power series and am afraid to add or release anymore caches until I can turn off the "Found It" that are flooding my inbox.

Was thinking I could leave emails on a select few of the power series, but not all of them? Only time I need notified on these is if there is a problem

It will subside once the locals finish off your PT.

Then you will only get an occasional belch of mail when someone from out of your area goes through.

Too bad you didn't think of this when you decided to place your PT, you are now getting what you deserve/asked for.

Just thank your lucky stars you only put out 25 on your PT. Just think of the headaches had you put out 100 or 1,000. Like AZchachemeister said, it'll slow down after the locals get done with it. But then again, if you have a big local caching community, guess you'll just have to get used to it.

Although I like the general idea of filtering these emails - it sort of depends on all cachers to use the most appropriate log type for all the information. Experience tells me that isn't going to happen very often.

Lets just face facts - even "found" logs can contain important information about the cache status and potential problems. Filtering them out and never reading them remains an issue.

Sure it can be a lot of mail but still important to read them if you ask me.

Although I like the general idea of filtering these emails - it sort of depends on all cachers to use the most appropriate log type for all the information. Experience tells me that isn't going to happen very often.

Lets just face facts - even "found" logs can contain important information about the cache status and potential problems. Filtering them out and never reading them remains an issue.

Sure it can be a lot of mail but still important to read them if you ask me.

Case in point, I rarely use the needs maintenance log. All it really does is set the needs maintenance flag. If the cache owner is not reading the regular logs they probably are not reading the needs maintenance logs. So I put info on wet logs and the like in the regular found it logs.

And far as power series are concerned, there are probably going to be few if any needs maintenance logs. Container missing? not to worry someone will quickly provide a throw down. Log full? not to worry someone will swap out the log, probably as they are carrying forward. Log wet? not to worry, see log full. And maintenance logs on a power series? unheard of.

Edit:

It may shock you, but I know that the owners of Route 66 read the logs. I was doing some testing with GSAK and entered and deleted a couple found logs. Got an email from the owner. I've heard that the owners of the ET trail read their logs, all of them. Talk about inbox overload.

Edited by jholly