Travelling from Watertown NY to Washington DC

floydangel71

Travelling from Watertown NY to Washington DC along Interstate 81 and want to know if there are any must do caches along the Interstate?

I am also looking for a way to find rest stops along the Interstate to check and see if there are any geocaches located there but I am having a hard time locating the rest stops on the geocaching map. Any advice or tips?

Rest stop search: use the state government web sites. I did a similar search in May, while planning a road trip to New Mexico. Ultimately, I found I preferred to use the large maps on geocaching.com and spot caches physically located near interstate exits. Also there was a short-lived effort by Cracker Barrel to place micro caches at their stores. We found two in Colorado, placed by their employee. We know of one in VA but have not yet found it.

Must-find caches: I can make some suggestions. I live in Arlington VA and have located caches near the I-66/I-81 interchange, as well as around the DC metro region.

Wild Cat Crossing: northwest of I-81 on VA RT 55, now co-designated US 48. Take I-81 exit 296 in VA (two exits south of I-66), head west. The history recited in the cache description is fascinating.

Windy Run: a diabolical location in an Arlington VA park. we had a team of 9 working to find this and it still took half an hour in the immediate vicinity of the GZ.

Upton Hills Regional Park: a clever multicache in a regional park in Arlington VA. For reasons that will become obvious, must be done while the minigolf course within the park is open for business.

Good luck!

Dreamer of Pictures

Travelling from Watertown NY to Washington DC along Interstate 81 and want to know if there are any must do caches along the Interstate?

I am also looking for a way to find rest stops along the Interstate to check and see if there are any geocaches located there but I am having a hard time locating the rest stops on the geocaching map. Any advice or tips?

Oooh, I have one for you! It's a park-n-grab .50 cal ammo box in Hallstead, Pa. (the first exit in Pa.) and only about 2 minutes off the Interstate. Lost in the Fifties at a gas station with an amazing collection of 50's memoralbia.

Cache across America Pennsylvania is about 5 miles out of town on a State Gamelands. You can park less than 1/4 mile from it (dirt road, dirt parking lot). It is a bushwack up a hill, but it's a pretty open bushwack.

About 30 miles South of Hallstead (wild guess) there's also a park-n-grab ammo box below an amazing Railroad Viaduct but this is a good 5 mile one-way trip off of I-81, in Nicholson, Pa.

As a premium member, you can do caches along a route, and specify a distance very close to the Interstate for rest stop caches. The only I-81 rest stop bookmark lists I can find (by the same guy) don't seem very well maintained or updated.