Is it a bad idea to ...

TrukN8

So I was wondering if people have any Don'ts for cache hiding. Besides the obvious ones.

I have had Many ideas of good and difficult places to hide caches. I've even hidden a couple insidious ones. Like a micro in a thorn bush 4ft from an evil green box. Though it seems that there are Unwritten rules, analogously construed rules.

Which do you know of?

So I was wondering if people have any Don'ts for cache hiding. Besides the obvious ones.

I have had Many ideas of good and difficult places to hide caches. I've even hidden a couple insidious ones. Like a micro in a thorn bush 4ft from an evil green box. Though it seems that there are Unwritten rules, analogously construed rules.

Which do you know of?

Yes -- DON'T HIDE MICROS!

There are people who STRONGLY discourage hiding caches that look like, or that are on electrical equipment. There could be a fault inside that you don't find until it's too late. Or you could be taking apart a light socket thinking it's a cache, when it's the real thing. Also a little while back locally someone had the idea to hide a cache in a black plastic bubble, like the ones that house security cameras. Well lot of people started doing that until someone too apart a real camera. And the caught him at it too.

The biggest don't I would say is 'Not getting Permission'. I've heard a few cases in this local area where a geocacher throws down a quick hide, and the FTF is then confronted by the landowner or neighborhood watch and asked to leave. Don't put others in the position that requires them to deal with unhappy landowners.

Which do you know of?

Yes -- DON'T HIDE MICROS!

+1 :)

The biggest don't I would say is 'Not getting Permission'. I've heard a few cases in this local area where a geocacher throws down a quick hide, and the FTF is then confronted by the landowner or neighborhood watch and asked to leave. Don't put others in the position that requires them to deal with unhappy landowners.

And security guards.

In my case, I bring good stuff. Which gives me a bit of a larger play area then many folks.

What about particularly large cache containers?

See, I have a multi idea that starts with a "NANO" in a parking lot of a park my wife and I adore, and each stage increases in size until at the final they find a 55Gal drum.

I actually have permission from the ranger, who was at my wedding. Hes even offered to take us to some parts of the park he thinks folks should see. Does anyone see any Bad Idea in this?

I dont see anything wrong with a nicely crafted or placed micro, but I hate any cache that forces me to consider or actually look in electrical equipment, especially if its by an active business. Caches in private residence areas unless blatantly written what yard they are in...are definite moan and groans to me.

See I get a nice 10 hour break and I find sometimes that I spend many hours putting together cool new caches. Like a nice metal tube I've shaped to look like a length of thorn vine, a companies logo, now magnetic. The things my wife has come up with are nothing short of insidious.

Are these bad ideas?

How far from the entrence of a business should you put a cache, even with the property owners permission? What about using the entrence?

I ask this last question mainly because the owner of a local fuel stop I go to (whom I have managed to addict to caching) wants to make the floor mat to her establishment into a cache.

Is it a bad idea to get people addicted to geo caching in order to get their permission? (I REALLY hope not, because this has been the easiest way to get permission. )

Is there a way to make and have an Adult Toy cache? Not meaning to imply THOSE toys, but I do mean toys adults play with.

In my case, I bring good stuff. Which gives me a bit of a larger play area then many folks.

See, I have a multi idea that starts with a "NANO" in a parking lot of a park my wife and I adore, and each stage increases in size until at the final they find a 55Gal drum.

I actually have permission from the ranger, who was at my wedding. Hes even offered to take us to some parts of the park he thinks folks should see. Does anyone see any Bad Idea in this?

I like this multi idea a lot. You'll get less seekers on a multi than you would as a series of traditionals, but I would enjoy a multi like this. And the fact that it includes areas recommended by the ranger is nice icing on the cake.

GeoCATing

I realize you don't believe it, however, my smartphone gets them right. Though I also have a tool most but not all cachers have. See I also have access to a SatNav which is hard wired into my truck. Then again having 3 gigs of extra maps hasn't hurt.

I'll second the others that said you should only hide a cache if you plan to stick around and maintain it, or at least archive it when you do move away from the game. Abandoned caches are far too common.

I'll also add: If you're hiding a larger container, don't put your container in a bag. No matter how much you think it's helping, it isn't. I've never seen a bag-wrapped cache that wasn't wet, dirty, smelly, moldy, or bug-infested. Use a proper container that can survive in its environment.

I like your multi idea, I'd find it. I'm in the camp that says micros are bad, although I do have a couple hidden. I wouldn't hide them again though, and with one of them I'm going to let it go until it dies and then not replace it.

Smartphones aren't as accurate. Some people strongly disagree, but that's my opinion based on experience.

Don't hide a micro in a place where you can hide something larger. Don't use carpy containers.

There was a series of caches (five distinct listings) like this near me. The first was a nano at a trail head (at the end of a short dirt road) the increasingly larger caches further and further along a trail. The last cache was about about a mile and a half into the woods. Unfortunately, there was a bit of logging in the woods that made it a lot less attractive and the series was archived.

When I saw the title of the thread, my immediate thought was, "dont post new ideas on the forums. ". Then I saw it was a specific question about cache hiding. Now I see you really had something even more specific in mind.

That sounds great. As long as it has a good water-tight lid, it sounds great.

I would get the permission in writing in case that guy quits or you get questioned while he is on vacation or something.

Go for it.

If its near here I'd love to find it.

Edited by Sol seaker

My wifes idea and consequential cache is VERY insidious. Though it does touch on a couple of the posted Do Nots.

What about signs, what signs are off limits to turn into a cache?

What about a billboard?

I have an idea to have the GC number printed on a billboard with either a clue or an arrow. I've done some research and it wouldn't be too expensive.

. Like a nice metal tube I've shaped to look like a length of thorn vine, a companies logo, now magnetic. The things my wife has come up with are nothing short of insidious.

Are these bad ideas?

I can't tell you without knowing more about them. Maybe ask on the "cool cache pictures" thread to get a response to each one. Ask what people think of them.

How far from the entrence of a business should you put a cache, even with the property owners permission? What about using the entrence?

Very far. I've found two at entrances. I hate those. Those are about my least favorite cache. Then not only the business employees get to watch you looking like a fool, but also lots of random customers. Yuck. Just say no.

I ask this last question mainly because the owner of a local fuel stop I go to (whom I have managed to addict to caching) wants to make the floor mat to her establishment into a cache.

Is it a bad idea to get people addicted to geo caching in order to get their permission? (I REALLY hope not, because this has been the easiest way to get permission. )

Why not? What the heck?

Is there a way to make and have an Adult Toy cache? Not meaning to imply THOSE toys, but I do mean toys adults play with.

You can request types of swag,.but that's it. Caches far off in the woods tend to have more adult oriented toys, such as hiking stuff, because not a lot of kids go there .

My wifes idea and consequential cache is VERY insidious. Though it does touch on a couple of the posted Do Nots.

What about signs, what signs are off limits to turn into a cache?

What about a billboard?

I have an idea to have the GC number printed on a billboard with either a clue or an arrow. I've done some research and it wouldn't be too expensive.

Some things that people posted they posted because they don't like them . everyone has their opinion . I do however I agree that caches around electrical boxes can be dangerous . there have been a lot of threads on that here.

The idea about the billboard is interesting . the problem would be that caches are supposed to be permanent . How long would you pay for one of those ?

I love the idea though .

I would think other signs are only limited to local laws .

Don't listen to those who say "Don't hide micro's" - sometimes they are the only type that work there.

I agree with You partly micros are okay if done in interesting ways.....but I disagree with your second thought creativity can make a large fit in a busy urban area I have seen it a few times.

I've already put ice cream in a cache. It was freeze dried though.

That's one that's covered in the guidelines:

Food items or scented items are inappropriate and disallowed. Animals have a keen sense of smell and have been known to destroy containers to get to these items.

I've seen containers where it's obvious that an animal has been gnawing on the lid, and I've read about caches being mauled by bears. These probably contained or used to contain food items. No matter how well-wrapped the food is, don't leave it in a cache.

Would placing a cable box looking cache Away from anything electrical, like maybe on the back of my garage?

Placing it completely out-of-place like out in the woods? Sure. On the back of your garage? Only if you won't mind cachers dismantling anything that looks remotely like a container on or around you garage.

I'll see if I can come up with a more general response.

It's a bad idea to submit a cache which violates any of the guidelines.

Even if a cache meets all the criteria in the guidelnes...It's a bad idea to place a cache that jeopardizes the game in any way.

Beyond that, consider the experience those that will seek the cache will encounter. You're not going to please everyone but try to avoid a placement that would put potential seekers of the cache in an unpleasant situation. You could come up with all sorts of scenarios with a cache that requires one to do something less than pleasant but some are going to enjoy the challenge. However, placing a cache at a location near the property of an unfriendly property owner that's going to either call the police or yell at anyone searching the area might put almost anyone that searching for the cache in an unexpected and unpleasant encounter.

See I get a nice 10 hour break and I find sometimes that I spend many hours putting together cool new caches. Like a nice metal tube I've shaped to look like a length of thorn vine, a companies logo, now magnetic. The things my wife has come up with are nothing short of insidious.

Are these bad ideas?

The floor mat? With all the Good places there are to hide a cache, the store wants to hide a cache under their filthy floor mat? Uh, No Thanks.

The billboard and the property it is on are owned by a good friend. I was thinking about stnciling the GC# on both sides of thr pole the billboard is on or hang banners underneath.

Now that I've thought about it, it could make an interestibg puzzle or multi.

And sometimes micros can be fun if it is a special kind of cache say you have to fulfill a task to extract it or is camouflaged uniquely but I despise a film canister hidden boringly in a woods filled with ammo can sized holes in trees! :angry: The other kind of caches I hate are those that are hidden in an area with little cover that is surrounded by houses. You just never feel comfortable, especially when the cache owner didn't get permission. It also annoys me when a cache gets published in a county park where there are guidelines, they followed none of them, and yet they can still get published. It was annoying since we would have put a cache there otherwise.

Which do you know of?

Are these bad ideas?

Ok, lets see.

A micro shaped like a thorn vine in a thorn bush beside a green electrical box?

What could go wrong?

The bush will likely be thrashed by all the searchers DNFing the cache.

The Electrical box may very well be tampered with when searchers are getting frusterated.

There will likely be so many DNFs that you will regularly get "Needs Maintanence" logs saying "The cache is definatly missing"

Personaly I would not enjoy searching for that cache. Maybe some people would though.

As previously stated, I drive for a living. I do not place caches in places I do not frequent. I also have the advantage that my company is smaller, handles only the great lakes region, and when I request to go to an area or near it, I do. Maybe that makes me a responsible hider. Maybe it just makes me paranoid about people messing with my caches.

I think I'm going to go ahead and hide the thorn, as an addition to my You've been a thorn in my side cache. Which is hidden the same way but in a 35mm film can. I've gotten to meet several of the people who've looked for it, and they've all enjoyed the challenge. I thank you all for your input.

If you do not like skirt lifters, Then I have a series for that too. Actually I kind of wonder if anyone has ever done a cache Everyone liked. I'm guessing not.