FTF - Is it fair or ethical to allow friends/family to log these BEFORE its published?

hofy67

- Keeping track of your FTFs? Fine.

- Posting them on your profile? Tacky, but fine.

- Excessive celebration on FTF logs? Obnoxious, but forgivable.

- Delaying logs to trick others into thinking they are FTF? Not cool.

- Leaving taunting, disrespectful logs, like those left for this thread's originator? Rude and antisocial.

- Breaking the law or park regulations to be first? Bad bad bad.

I can't follow with anything other than +1

The latter stages of a side conversation have been removed from this thread.

When an entire page of a thread consists of a nested quotefest between two posters, it's time to invoke Forum Guideline #7:

Private discussions: Sometimes, a discussion thread strays off into a friendly dialogue or a heated debate among a very small number of users. For these exchanges, we ask that you please use the Private Message feature that is provided through the Groundspeak forums, or the Geocaching.com e-mail system. Public forum posts should be reserved for matters of interest to the general geocaching community. Reminder: All contact with other community members through Groundspeak's sites is subject to the Terms of Use.

- Keeping track of your FTFs? Fine.

- Posting them on your profile? Tacky, but fine.

- Excessive celebration on FTF logs? Obnoxious, but forgivable.

- Delaying logs to trick others into thinking they are FTF? Not cool.

- Leaving taunting, disrespectful logs, like those left for this thread's originator? Rude and antisocial.

- Breaking the law or park regulations to be first? Bad bad bad.

I can't follow with anything other than +1

Completely agree with fizzymagic!

some people are real gentlemen, while others are real (insert bad word here of own choice, I cant risk beeing banned)

I prefer to play the FTF game with gents, this way it is fair and fun for all of us..

again I am not the most eager or coolest FTF hunter at all,

but when I go for it, I have alot of fun, no matter if I win or loose.

yesterday I lost one by a few minutes, and won one by only 0.1 sec,

we both got a great day just the same, the way it should be.

Edited by OZ2CPU

I can appreciate the fact that everyone has their way to enjoy geocaching. Some enjoy the FTF hunt and others do not. That's understandable and acceptable. I enjoy finding a cache that has not been found before, keep statistics of my FTF's (along with many others through GSAK) and give credit to those who got FTF on my caches. I don't go after every single new cache for a FTF but if one is close by I will sometimes go after it, other times I will stay home or wherever I am to relax. My earlier comments about timely posting were meant to acknowledge that while you may not play the game a certain way, that doesn't mean you can't help others play it their way. There are no rules on the time to log a find after actually finding it so you are under no obligation to log it in a timely manner or even at all. I do try and log a FTf sooner than later to allow others to know that it has been found if they are in the FTF hunt. Kind of like if I come across a cache where the log sheet is full I will replace with one that I carry around as a favor or courtesy to the cache owner. Their is no requirement for me to do so and in fact the cache owner is obligated to maintain their cache. But what is the big deal if I help out? So if you say that you are under no obligation to post a FTF in a timely manner because you don't play that part of the game, that's fine but you could be helping out those who like to play that part of the game by doing so. Just a matter of courtesy not rules.

So if you say that you are under no obligation to post a FTF in a timely manner because you don't play that part of the game, that's fine but you could be helping out those who like to play that part of the game by doing so. Just a matter of courtesy not rules.

Have you ever experienced that you did not log a FTF right away, but still at the same day and some FTF-racers complained about the late log if the log war written say 3 hours after the find? Somehow some proportion of the FTF-crowd at least in my country thinks that one is almost obliged to log FTFs right at the cache. This brings me to another aspect about FTF-races that I do not appreciate that much. It becomes more and more common that logs like "FTF - details follow later." are written and when the details are supplied some time later (hours or days) one does not receive a notification. So if one enjoys reading logs it means one has to check the cache page regularly.

Actually the FTF message is the least interesting part of a log for me.

Those who are into FTFs can play their game, but I do not like so much the many negative effects caused, the one about the temporary logs being one which has not been mentioned before.

Cezanne

Concerning the original issue...okay, so there are no official rules, meaning COs and finders are both free to do whatever they want. I'd like to suggest that a reasonable compromise, or just a nice thing to do, would be for COs that release info about a cache before its publication on gc.com to note that in the cache description, or as a note added to the online cache log. "Note: This cache was released to some people before its publication on geocaching.com." Doesn't hurt anybody, takes almost no effort or time, and lets potential finders make informed decisions about when or whether to pursue a particular cache. Seems like a win-win to me.

(which, this being the Internet, means it's sure to raise somebody's hackles... Oh well)

Tom

Edited by vbtz