Worst luck ever

Dan2099

I took my father to a routine doc's appointment and while I was waiting I thought I would grab a quick cache....I drove to the nearest cache...I quickly spotted the cache on the side of a bulldozed hill the only problem a black snake has made its self at home right in front of the cache....I decided to take a pass on this one.

What's your worst or most annoying caching story?

My girlfriend unknowingly stuck her hand in a hollow tree and screamed, as it turned out to have a snake in it. It was dark in there and I could only see it's head and a few inches of it's body, so I grabbed a stick and pressed it against it's throat to try to determine if it was venomous and she yelled at me for hurting it. :signalviolin: Yes, it was a little annoying. :D

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I know a well known cacher with thousands of finds that couldn't find an ammo can hidden in (almost) plain sight under a porch. That in itself really isn't bad luck but the fact that I was there (and someone got a picture of him searching for the cache)sure as heck was!

Pictures, or it never happened!!

How odd!

My pen ran out of ink before I could sign the log once :P

I was all set to pull off an FTF in a faraway country as my #1000 find. Ticket booked, bags all packed, and... my father died.

So there.

Somewhat later I rebooked the ticket and actually made the trip. Couldn't find the cache.

Sorry about your dad

Edited by tisourway

I was all set to pull off an FTF in a faraway country as my #1000 find. Ticket booked, bags all packed, and... my father died.

So there.

Somewhat later I rebooked the ticket and actually made the trip. Couldn't find the cache.

With the exception of those who actually died Geocaching themselves, you win.

So there.

With the exception of those who actually died Geocaching themselves, you win.

no doubt

Something tells me your tale is about to be trumped very quickly. Why didn't you simply chase the snake away? :lol:

Snakes freak me the heck out, online I could lie and say I attempted it but eh why bother it's one of those times that makes a neat story.

Something tells me your tale is about to be trumped very quickly. Why didn't you simply chase the snake away? :lol:

Snakes freak me the heck out, online I could lie and say I attempted it but eh why bother it's one of those times that makes a neat story.

Plenty of folks have Ophidiophobia...nothing to be ashamed of.

Likewise, Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia.

I took my father to a routine doc's appointment and while I was waiting I thought I would grab a quick cache....I drove to the nearest cache...I quickly spotted the cache on the side of a bulldozed hill the only problem a black snake has made its self at home right in front of the cache....I decided to take a pass on this one.

AFAIK there aren't any venomous black snakes in Kentucky. In fact most black snakes are beneficial as they keep the rodent population down, although a quick google search might even show you that they can eat other things too.

VP still 'wins' the thread, sorry for your loss. But I can trump the snake story with ease. Warning-you might not want to view the pics at that log while you are eating. As a reminder I own a snake themed puzzle cache nearby, and have a nice scar and loss of sensation on my fingertip.

AFAIK there aren't any venomous black snakes in Kentucky. In fact most black snakes are beneficial as they keep the rodent population down, although a quick google search might even show you that they can eat other things too.

VP still 'wins' the thread, sorry for your loss. But I can trump the snake story with ease. Warning-you might not want to view the pics at that log while you are eating. As a reminder I own a snake themed puzzle cache nearby, and have a nice scar and loss of sensation on my fingertip.

Yikes!!! What's the scar look like today?

Plenty of folks have Ophidiophobia...nothing to be ashamed of.

Likewise, Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia.

Fear of excessively large hippopotomi that use long multi-syllable words?

So there.

Nobody died, but...

A few years ago I had a 4 day meeting in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. I flew from Rome with a couple of people that work at a UN organization and a guy from Peru. Looking at my schedule I figured that I'd get into Addis late morning, could go to the place where I was staying, then take a cab about a mile away to what was then the only cache in the city and only one of four in the entire country. Upon arrival we found that the guy from Peru had neglected to get a Visa and while I and the others from the EU could get one at the airport, but that wasn't an option for citizens of South American countries. We spent the next fours or so at the airport dealing with immigration and the local U.N. office before the guy from Peru could clear immigration. By the time I got to where I was staying it was too late to head back out. Over the next several days I passed within about 1000 feet of that cache but never had the chance to search for it. I left the country without a find. That cache has since been archived but there are now 3 caches in Addis should I ever get the opportunity to visit again.

I don't want to "win" the thread - especially since my Dad's passing wasn't that closely related to any cache - so I'll just point out that a few unlucky souls have had much worse luck than I had, actually dying on the hunt. I can think of at least two examples, one recent and discussed elsewhere in the forums. Rest in peace, fellow cachers.

That said, I did miss an FTF once by stepping in human poo - badly covered up by a few leaves - right in front of where I would've found the cache. It wasn't all bad though. Next day I came back with clean shoes, tiptoed carefully, and pulled off the FTF then. http://coord.info/GCXM6K

I don't want to "win" the thread - especially since my Dad's passing wasn't that closely related to any cache - so I'll just point out that a few unlucky souls have had much worse luck than I had, actually dying on the hunt. I can think of at least two examples, one recent and discussed elsewhere in the forums. Rest in peace, fellow cachers.

That said, I did miss an FTF once by stepping in human poo - badly covered up by a few leaves - right in front of where I would've found the cache. It wasn't all bad though. Next day I came back with clean shoes, tiptoed carefully, and pulled off the FTF then. http://coord.info/GCXM6K

My dog rolled in that once, she made the hour long trip home tied up in a pillow case :blink:

A few years ago I was unable to find a cache, and urinated to try to relieve my anxiety. Then there was this odd sound of streaming liquid hitting an object and then i realized it was the cache...

You have a strange way of dealing with your anxieties, 4WF. :lol:

It was easier to concentrate. I did sign the log after taking the cache to a nearby creek and rinsing it off. :)

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

A few years ago I was unable to find a cache, and urinated to try to relieve my anxiety. Then there was this odd sound of streaming liquid hitting an object and then i realized it was the cache...

You have a strange way of dealing with your anxieties, 4WF. :lol:

It was easier to concentrate. I did sign the log after taking the cache to a nearby creek and rinsing it off. :)

I make it a policy to never piss in the woods within 100' of GZ. Especially if I cannot wait until after the find. YMMV ;)

my worst day : 6 DNF and 2 find

my best day: 62 finds and 1 DNF

most normal days the number of finds vs DNF

are not a measure of how good or bad a cache day is,

but wading in dog poop is for sure always really a downer !

---

>online I could lie and say I attempted it

say what ??

if you attempted it, it is still a NOTE, not a find-it !!

use a DNF if you find nothing at all,

but use a NOTE if you find something, but could not sign its log,

always eplain your adventure in the log, both for own use, and to help others.

OMG, I am already freaked out to do woods caches in the summer here, this just confirms why I avoid them *shudder* Glad it wasn't any worse!! Do you still do woods caches in the summer? LOL

Edited by onthegomom