New Category: Biggest Catch

BIGGEST CATCH

After spending some time geocaching at a lake resort not far from my hometown I was inspired by two fish wall mounts I saw at the resort's restaurant and general store. One was a German Brown trout, the biggest ever caught at Fish Lake. The other wall mount was a Rainbow trout, the largest ever caught in the same lake. After seeing these fishing trophies, I just had to create a category in their honor: Biggest Catch.

The mission as a waymarker if you choose to accept is to find and waymark any fish wall mount that you may come across in your travels. You see them everywhere. In bait shops, restaurants, book stores, hotels, motels, etc. Most of these wall mounts have a small metal plaque below them that tells some history about the fish and what significance it had (i.e., size, weight & who caught it and what year) . So many wall mounts you see are record setters for the state or local area they were caught in. In addition to logging your waymark, detailing some history about the body of water it was caught in would be an extra bonus.

I know that there is a category called Superlatives that many of these fish mounts would fall into. BUT... I believe that a category dedicated to these record-setting fish would be a great niche category that many waymarkers would find appealing.

I welcome any and all opinions on this category idea and please suggest ways to improve on this proposal.

Happy Waymarking!

Doug aka thebeav69

ATTENTION ALL WAYMARKERS:

The potentially new category, FISH MOUNTS, is under a peer review. Please look over the category description and give thoughts and any additional suggestions before hopefully making this category official!

Thank you!

Doug

thebeav69

I haven't been in the forums in a while. Did you have NO comments on your original proposal here in the forums?

I need a little more convincing on this category. Your writeup looks really good--but maybe an example would be nice?

I've seen fish mounts before, but aren't they in a LOT of seafood restaurants? Would I just waymark the restaurant ONCE, even if there are a LOT of fish mounts in there?

ATTENTION ALL WAYMARKERS:

The potentially new category, FISH MOUNTS, is under a peer review. Please look over the category description and give thoughts and any additional suggestions before hopefully making this category official!

Thank you!

Doug

thebeav69

I haven't been in the forums in a while. Did you have NO comments on your original proposal here in the forums?

I need a little more convincing on this category. Your writeup looks really good--but maybe an example would be nice?

I've seen fish mounts before, but aren't they in a LOT of seafood restaurants? Would I just waymark the restaurant ONCE, even if there are a LOT of fish mounts in there?

QuesterMark,

Thank you for your thoughts, I've been surprised that no one has commented before on this potential new category since I personally believe fish mounts to be a very good conversation piece as that many of them are the biggest of the big and have stories to share. A good question you brought up for a waymarker who might find a multitude of fish mounts in one location. I know other categories limit the number of waymarks per waymarker to two. I could apply the same principle to fish mounts as well.

And as I'm writing this, I did a quick search for ANY category containing trophy mounts for ANY species of animal and found nothing! Does this mean that I need to change my category to include other animal mounts like elk, bear, deer, moose, mountain goats, safari animals, etc??? Hmm... this could really turn into something BIG if so!

Yo know what? I'm 46 yo and never saw a fish mount in my life :-) I was in 37 countries as a traveler. I don't vote "No" because I can't say it's a bad idea, but I can't vote "yes"... it just doesn't have an appeal to me. And generally I don't enjoy that much waymarks which are most probably indoors.

Edited by Torgut

Yo know what? I'm 46 yo and never saw a fish mount in my life :-) I was in 37 countries as a traveler. I don't vote "No" because I can't say it's a bad idea, but I can't vote "yes"... it just doesn't have an appeal to me. And generally I don't enjoy that much waymarks which are most probably indoors.

Seen couple of them in US (seafood places, amusement parks), outdoor public places. I don't remember to see the fish mount in any other country. But I'm curious, it's quite interesting.