Need help: Creating a 1-time, private geocache

gear02

So I need your help with something - my girlfriend and I have started to Geocache together and she really enjoys it. I just realized I could use this to propose to her! My idea is to hide a nanocache with a piece of paper with the proposal in it and I would hide it in the park where we first kissed (yeah yeah sappy sorry).

So, how can I create the Geocache in terms of putting the waypoint into the GPS. I have a Garmin eTrek 30 and need to get the data into a paperless cache.

Thoughts? I figure I can't upload a new cache because others will find it. My thinking is just to edit a gpx file and upload it to my GPS.

Thanks for your help!

... nanocache ...

Seriously?? That's all she's worth to you? A nanocache?

Show her how much she really means to you and hide a 55 gallon drum!

Hmm...that way I could hide myself. Also, the garbage truck could find me first.

Nah, the nanocache would have the proposal, and I'll have the ring. I ain't hiding the ring in the cache :)

just transfer a cache to your GPS, just one, no matter what.

that GPX file, is easy to find in the GPX folder, transfer it to a PC,

edit it, with new cordinate, new text and all you need, when done, copy it to HER gps while she dont see it..

now go geocaching with her, let her lead the way :-)

now this "cache" is a fake one, it only exist in HER GPS, only she (and you) know how to find it.

when found and all is happy, you can make a REAL cache, at the SAME spot for others to find and read your cool story.

good luck there :-)

love is in the air, how nice..

when I think about it.. if you are not an expert in edit a GPX file, simple make a new cache listing

but keep it in EDIT, dont puplish it..

you can simply transfer it to your own and HER GPS, while still in edit..

now go play.

Edited by OZ2CPU

Well, here's a couple of examples of other people that have done it GC2MGYK and GC3MF28 .. maybe it'll spark some ideas.

For Father's day, my family made me a card with the iPhone Geocaching app with custom coords for a multi cache around our neighborhood. This let them do a private cache that took me a while and was great fun. My final was a box of gifts placed back in my living room. Be Creative, Use it too show you'll put even more effort into your relationship.

Congratulations, and Have Fun!

Pat

We have a local multi cache. I was unable to complete it due to missing stage but I think it was the words Will you marry, one on each container. And the guy put a question mark on the rock where the final was, and was waiting for her with a ring. The park staff loved it and adopted it when they moved away.

My son did a multi cache(one-time only) - we came up with a story that some friends of ours had come up with a multi/puzzle cache (that way they could be at the final without suspicion) and that they wanted us to try it before it was published to make sure it worked. We had them text us the starting coordinates and we took her to do the multi - she believed my son was working. Had the words "Wil Ewe Merry" in 3 caches and the final instructions was for her to read the three words in order and turn around. He was standing there with a sign that said ME? (she said yes).

Agree with lil devil; a nano? C'mon show some creativity.

Surely there are some other locations besides that park that should be part of the story?

Here's a geo-adventure proposal that took place in this area a few months ago. Several of the locations now have permanent caches at them.

Edited by wimseyguy

A reverse geocache is a great idea I think. I have heard of a few gifts and proposals involving one that only opens at a designated location. Once she finds the location the box opens!One nano is not enough effort. Make her have the day of her life, that is if she really enjoys geocaching as much as she say!

Hubby and I place caches for each either all the time. We live on seven acres of woodland so there are lots of hiding places. When we can't get out for a geocaching trip, one of us will hide a container then give then other one the coordinates. As soon as it's found, the cache is removed. We obviously don't publish these. I'm thinking that the OP doesn't really need to publish an actual cache if it is intended for just one find by one person. Just make up a fake printout to give her and say you found this new cache posted that would be fun for her to try. Or put the coordinates in her GPSr and tell her you already loaded the cache for her.

You could always make it a real cache with the intention of others finding it in the future. There is a local cache we found that was done like that. The CO hid a ring (not the real one - he gave her that later) in a cache deep in the woods and the second it was published they were off. When they got to GZ he let her find the cache with the ring and then he proposed. Now the cache is a remembrance of their love and a sentimental story for those who find it.

We had one in our area for this same reason. Everyone here respected the FTF and let them find it first. Not sure if the same would apply to your area. Sounds like you two have fun and I hope many happy years to you. I would go with at least a micro and not a nano!

Yeah you guys had to wait a LONG time for that didn't you.

We had a friend Snowake on our side of the bay, who pretended to go after a FTF, which was placed but not published, and she almost didn't want to go with him to find it.

"Add" it was an ammo can with a ring in it. I believe the ammo can is still there.

Edited by jellis