How Do I ... Set Up an eTrex Vista HCX

rdjl972

I am new to GeoCaching - frustrated - and I'm trying to figure out how to navigate between screens on our new eTrex Vista HCX. We don't use the eTrex for anything else, so am trying to set it up just for Geocaching. Can anyone give me a screen by screen setup?

Also ... why won't the screen brightness settings stay as I saved them? It goes back to very dim and I have to increase it every time I boot it up.

Any help anyone can be is very appreciated.

Thanks !!

Rick

Edited by rdjl972

Do you have the owner's manual?

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/eTrexLegendHCx_OwnersManual.pdf

B.

Yes. To be sure I downloaded the one from your link - Thank You - but it's the same as what I had. There is no mention of Geocaching anywhere in it and there is nothing on geocaching in the index. So what's in the owners manual that helps me configure it for geocaching only versus using it to locate an address driving in my car? That's why I need some help? Does this make sense?

Thanks,

Rick

Really - there is almost nothing to "setup".

A geocache is little more than a point on the map. Once you load the coordinates (via the Garmin plugin or EasyGPS or basecamp or whatever) - you simply select that waypoint and go to it. Whether it is a favorite restaurant, a city or a Geocache.

That unit is not paperless and will only display the most basic of information.

Really - there is almost nothing to "setup".

A geocache is little more than a point on the map. Once you load the coordinates (via the Garmin plugin or EasyGPS or basecamp or whatever) - you simply select that waypoint and go to it. Whether it is a favorite restaurant, a city or a Geocache.

That unit is not paperless and will only display the most basic of information.

Ok. Thanks.

Rick