Batcave Coordinates in the Dark Knight Rises

For anyone who saw The Dark Knight Rises, at the end, "Robin" is given coordinates for the entrance to the batcave and you see them for a second on a sheet of paper. Did anyone happen to catch the actual coordinates and if they did, can they provide them. Interested to see where they actually go to?

For anyone who saw The Dark Knight Rises, at the end, "Robin" is given coordinates for the entrance to the batcave and you see them for a second on a sheet of paper. Did anyone happen to catch the actual coordinates and if they did, can they provide them. Interested to see where they actually go to?

I am going to guess that it is off shore, or in the middle of the alien head power trail.

I am going to guess that it is off shore, or in the middle of the alien head power trail.

Naahhhhhhhhhh,

A.R.Z. (Alien Recovery Zone) midway between Head Alien # 8 and UFO # 8 some where N.W. of Rachel, Nv.

Edited by humboldt flier

sounds like a tough order until you can hit the "pause" button.

I agree, it was up for like less than a second, he did have a GPS with him, wasn't sure what brand or model it was, everything moved real fast at the very end so you had to be quick to catch everything that is going on. If no one can find it, I guess I can always wait for the DVD.

sounds like a tough order until you can hit the "pause" button.

I agree, it was up for like less than a second, he did have a GPS with him, wasn't sure what brand or model it was, everything moved real fast at the very end so you had to be quick to catch everything that is going on. If no one can find it, I guess I can always wait for the DVD.

Alternativly, you could probably download a camcorder version, just for education of course...

There's a scene in season 2 episode 10 of The Wire where a cop is getting GPS coordinates to isolate a cellphone call, and they show the coordinates onscreen:

f8e7a85b-0fbc-4d11-abec-99bc5ba2c8a6.png

In keeping with the realism of that show, the location is close, but not exactly where they allege to be: N39 11.727 W76 26.628

You can see from the shot:

d714e803-d94a-42a6-9f35-4dfa660bb0dc.png

that they are very close, at what appears to be N39 11.805 W76 26.793

LMAO...I had this vision of the only cacher in the theatre throwing his popcorn in the air when a GPS related scene comes on. :lol:

Last week I found a clip of the last couple minutes of the movie on YouTube and went looking on Google Maps for the coordinates. I don't think I wrote them down, but someone over on IMDb just said that the latitude was 34 08.227. I thought the ones in the movie were DDMMSS, though, not DDMM.MMM. Anyway, I recall that the first few digits of the longitude were hidden, but I played around with some possibilities, and my favorite result put the location pretty near the Hollywood sign in Los Angeles. Perhaps they are the coordinates for the original Batcave from the TV series; that would be very fun!

I just saw the movie for the second time this weekend and have no plans to go back again in the immediate future, so if anyone sees it and can write down the visible coordinates, please let us know what they are!

[edit]

Okay, I found the clip. It's 34° 8' 22.77N; the only part visible of the longitude is 9' 18.1W. I don't see anything of potential interest at that latitude anywhere in the U.S. other than the Los Angeles area, so I'm still guessing that it's a (random?) location in the Hollywood Hills between Warner Bros. and the Hollywood Sign at 34° 8' 22.77N, 118° 19' 18.1W.

Edited by Wintertime

Okay, I found the clip. It's 34° 8' 22.77N; the only part visible of the longitude is 9' 18.1W. I don't see anything of potential interest at that latitude anywhere in the U.S. other than the Los Angeles area, so I'm still guessing that it's a (random?) location in the Hollywood Hills between Warner Bros. and the Hollywood Sign at 34° 8' 22.77N, 118° 19' 18.1W.

Bassed on this information, I am guessing

N34° 8' 22.77 W 113 9' 18.1

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=N34%C2%B0+8'+22.77+W+113+9'+18.1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sll=34.143635,-114.147949&sspn=0.364842,0.389328&t=h&gl=ca&z=14

Who said they use the same datum in Gotham as we do? Actually, if take Gotham Geographic Survey's map grid, lay it over the one we normally use and convert the coordinates, the entry to the Batcave is the doors to the restrooms at Batman Airport in Turkey.

Coincidence? I think not.

Last week I found a clip of the last couple minutes of the movie on YouTube and went looking on Google Maps for the coordinates. I don't think I wrote them down, but someone over on IMDb just said that the latitude was 34 08.227. I thought the ones in the movie were DDMMSS, though, not DDMM.MMM. Anyway, I recall that the first few digits of the longitude were hidden, but I played around with some possibilities, and my favorite result put the location pretty near the Hollywood sign in Los Angeles. Perhaps they are the coordinates for the original Batcave from the TV series; that would be very fun!

I just saw the movie for the second time this weekend and have no plans to go back again in the immediate future, so if anyone sees it and can write down the visible coordinates, please let us know what they are!

[edit]

Do you happen to have a link for the video, I just can't seem to find a decent video on the Internet?

It wouldn't be hard to believe that someone simply walked off the set at Warner Bros. and grabbed a waypoint.

N 34° 08.871 W 118° 20.318

It does make me wonder where they get some of the coordinates. If I have enough time I jot down the coordinates I see in a movie and look it up later. Some of them have been pretty close and some not so close. On movie they gave a pilot the coordinates to make an emergency landing in the LA river and it was actually about twenty miles off the coast of LA in the pacific ocean.

[edit]

As far as we know the coordinates in the film are 34° 8' 22.77N, and 19' 18.1" W. Now I'm pretty sure Nolan would use the coordinates to refer to something in batman history. As I looked over different filming locations in batman history I came across the Bronson Canyon which is where they filmed the cave for the 1960s T.V. show. Those coordinates for the Canyon are 34° 7′ 22.33″ N, 118° 18′ 55.8″ W. Now if we subistute 38° 8′ 22.77″ N, for 34° 7′ 22.33″ N and 19' 18.1"W, for 18′ 55.8″ W. This puts us near the cave called "the west portal", and this location is where they filmed the entrance of the batcave for the 1960s T.V. show. Therefore I think Nolan is alluding to the T.V. show through the coordinates which most likely are 34° 8′ 22.77″ N, 118° 19′ 18.1″ W

[edit]

As far as we know the coordinates in the film are 34° 8' 22.77N, and 19' 18.1" W. Now I'm pretty sure Nolan would use the coordinates to refer to something in batman history. As I looked over different filming locations in batman history I came across the Bronson Canyon which is where they filmed the cave for the 1960s T.V. show. Those coordinates for the Canyon are 34° 7′ 22.33″ N, 118° 18′ 55.8″ W. Now if we subistute 38° 8′ 22.77″ N, for 34° 7′ 22.33″ N and 19' 18.1"W, for 18′ 55.8″ W. This puts us near the cave called "the west portal", and this location is where they filmed the entrance of the batcave for the 1960s T.V. show. Therefore I think Nolan is alluding to the T.V. show through the coordinates which most likely are 34° 8′ 22.77″ N, 118° 19′ 18.1″ W

Holy awesome detective work batman52! Seriously though that is pretty cool!

[edit]

Isn't that what Don_j posted in #9?

[edit]

Yeah, but what's more fun? Read the thread and see that someone already knew the answer, or just read the first post, go "ooh, I know this one", and create a new sock puppet account specifically for posting the answer? I think the later. :ph34r:

[edit]

Yeah, but what's more fun? Read the thread and see that someone already knew the answer, or just read the first post, go "ooh, I know this one", and create a new sock puppet account specifically for posting the answer? I think the later. :ph34r:

I want to know where the other 51 Batman's are.

[edit]

OK, so now that the Dark Knight Rises came out on DVD the first week of December, I got it for Christmas and watched it last night. I agree there was a part where you first see the coordinates and the West Coordinates were cut off but the north can be seen. Now when he actually arrives at the location, you can see him flash the coordinates again and I was able to pause it just at the right second and made out the coordinates as 34 8 22.77N and 118 19 18.1W same as what you see here. That places it not far from the Hollywood sign. What's interesting is that this location is actually only 1.3 miles away from the Batcave geocache which is supposed to be where scenes from the original 60's TV show were shot (GC8413)

[edit]

:ph34r:

OK, so now that the Dark Knight Rises came out on DVD the first week of December, I got it for Christmas and watched it last night. I agree there was a part where you first see the coordinates and the West Coordinates were cut off but the north can be seen. Now when he actually arrives at the location, you can see him flash the coordinates again and I was able to pause it just at the right second and made out the coordinates as 34 8 22.77N and 118 19 18.1W same as what you see here. That places it not far from the Hollywood sign. What's interesting is that this location is actually only 1.3 miles away from the Batcave geocache which is supposed to be where scenes from the original 60's TV show were shot (GC8413)

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. :ph34r:

From the movie:

34d 8'22.77N ??d 19'18.1W .. as all of the city shows of Gotham are NYC. i would put it along the same longitude/ in the same datum. image of Robin's coords

From the movie:

34d 8'22.77N ??d 19'18.1W .. as all of the city shows of Gotham are NYC. i would put it along the same longitude/ in the same datum. image of Robin's coords

Google maps with ??=:

=78W (-78degrees) is outside Wilmington, NC

=73degE (E not W) is Abbottabad, Pakistan.

=

I make it a habit to jot down coordinates they give in movies just to see how accurate they are and some are pretty close and some are off a mile. There was one movie where they were having a problem with an airplane and for some reason the only place they could land was the dry LA river, so I jotted down their coordinates they gave them for the river and it would have put them about ten miles off the coast of LA.