Which App ?

Nemo5050

Hi

I am having problems finding an App for the Iphone as have recently switched from android

When I had the Android I used the Trimble software which I was perfectly happy with from a navigational point of view (particularly the maps) but with regards to other features it was somewhat lacking

I have found with the geocaching trial being able to access the hint from the app rather than write it down such a big help so this is a must

Also I would like to be able to download GPX files.

One feature the Trimble software had which the geocaching trial doesn't (don't know whether the full version has) is the ability to type in co ordinates for multi caches or alternative parking so this is another feature that I would like

One of the apps that I have been looking at (Geocaching buddy) has parking suggestions (that's what it looks like anyway) and waypoints but you have to type the details of the cache in.

I know you can link to this app from iGeocacher but this seems a bit fiddly

Does anyone know of an app that covers all of this or am I asking for too much ????

Many Thanks

Nemo5050

Although some folks will balk at the $10 price tag, I'd highly recommend the official Geocaching app from Groundspeak (the full version). No need to download GPX files, just run a PQ and it will be available in the app.

You can also input additional waypoints easily, although a lot if new users have trouble finding the button for this (at least judging from the number of "How do I....?" questions about it in the Forums :)

With a data connection you can cache anytime, anywhere you feel the urge. Without data you can still cache if you have saved a PQ to the app in advance. You can also do advanced searches from the app, like filtering out certain cache types, sizes, or D/T ratings. And don't forget being able to view pictures, hints, recent logs, and logging from the field.

Best $10 I ever spent :)

I have an Android phone and certainly second Chief301s recommendation of the offical Geocaching app. It's well worth the money and I use it as a backup to my GPSr allowing me to get extra logs, info, pictures etc, from the field and allows me to log trackables immediately to reduce the delay. The mapping features are fantastic for finding nearby geocaches while out and about, something that my GPSr lacks being a basic model. It wouldn't replace my GPSr but compliments it beautifully.

I have to agree that the official geocaching app is probably the best for the iPhone. I still use my Oregon when I'm caching, but I look it up on the iPhone if I want to see the attributes, or photos, or older logs. If I don't have my GPS with me, but have some time to go look for a cache, then it's great to have the geocaching app on my iPhone to just check and see if anything is nearby. It's nice to be able to log your find immediately too if you want, or you can use logging notes and upload them later.

With reference to this App - has anyone ever had any problems with it freezing etc.

Have found several ratings complaining of this and went out caching with my friend this afternoon and she struggled with this issue (With the full version)

some people have said that they have even gone back to the demo version as it is easier ????

Any ideas ???

Nemo5050

I had trouble finding the live maps on the official app, but now that I have, I prefer the Groundspeak app. I have many on my phone but am using only the GS one at this time.

I hear people complainabout the ten dollar cost and think that's a bit silly. How much do theqy spend on a GPS? Ten bucks is nothing for all that fun. Compare it to the price of going to the movies. And the app lasts so much longer.