caching EVENTS organised for caching (not just a group of mates meeting at a pub

Hello Eveyone,

I have been looking for a geocaching event which is organised for people to actually go out caching and not just meeting their mates in the pub on a weekday evening, but can't seem to find anything. I am a keen walker and have done a couple of low level adventure races in the past and think that combining this sort of activity with geocaching would be a real winner, and I can't belive that I'm the only person to have thought of it.

I have looked on the events pages here and else where on the net but can't find anything similar. Almost all of the 'events' here are groups of friends who meet in pubs during the week for a chat (not that that's a problem :P) but it's not very helpfull when looking for an actual event to participate in.

Does anyone know of any clubs/groups who arrange such events in the U.K. (especially the south east)?

It would appear to me that there seems to be a gap in the 'sport' (unless I have missed something, bigtime!) and would very much like to know if anyone else is interested in this sort of event. If there is infact a lack of events like this, would anyone be interested in joining me to create a group to facilite those who wish to participate in a modern age, orienteering style, day long event of chasing co-ordinates around Britains glorious countryside?

Hope to hear back from lots of you soon.

I believe an event organized for the purpose of just finding caches is not allowed.

Found it!! This is taken from the guidelines; An event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together geocachers for an organized geocache search. Such group hunts are best organized using a discussion forum or an email distribution list. So for what you want see the link in the post below this one.

Edited by T.D.M.22
Hello Eveyone,

I have been looking for a geocaching event which is organised for people to actually go out caching and not just meeting their mates in the pub on a weekday evening, but can't seem to find anything. I am a keen walker and have done a couple of low level adventure races in the past and think that combining this sort of activity with geocaching would be a real winner, and I can't belive that I'm the only person to have thought of it.

I have looked on the events pages here and else where on the net but can't find anything similar. Almost all of the 'events' here are groups of friends who meet in pubs during the week for a chat (not that that's a problem :P) but it's not very helpfull when looking for an actual event to participate in.

Does anyone know of any clubs/groups who arrange such events in the U.K. (especially the south east)?

It would appear to me that there seems to be a gap in the 'sport' (unless I have missed something, bigtime!) and would very much like to know if anyone else is interested in this sort of event. If there is infact a lack of events like this, would anyone be interested in joining me to create a group to facilite those who wish to participate in a modern age, orienteering style, day long event of chasing co-ordinates around Britains glorious countryside?

Hope to hear back from lots of you soon.

Event caches held just to go looking for caches are not permitted by the Guidelines. Some events consist of a portion where attendees cache together, but this cannot be the main purpose of the event. You can organize a group hunt through your regional forums or forums on another site.

there are many events that are done after a caching trip or before one.....do a breakfast event and have a caching trip afterwards planned near a place where the event is and invite folks to come caching with ya. The event itself can't be about caching (though there was one at the Mega I just went to I think, but a mega has exceptions I guess).

You be batter off asking in the United Kingdom and Ireland forum.

I don't think it makes any difference, unless UK cachers are allowed to have cache-hunting events when the rest of us aren't.

B.

But it does make a difference when UK cachers of like mind can be more closely targeted rather than shouting to the world.

Then someone might recommended meeting at the pub to tick some ale and hunt afterwards.

Thanks for all the replies and links guys. Seems a shame, but I suppose they have their reasons. At least the Ontario test results look promising.

Would these rules still aplly if the caches were laid purely for the purpose of the event and collected in afterwards? they wouldn't even have to be listed individually.

Could a seperate group be created to run these events on the side??? :(

Would these rules still aplly if the caches were laid purely for the purpose of the event and collected in afterwards? they wouldn't even have to be listed individually.

It's simple. Hold a potluck or some other social event at some location. That is the "event." Then afterwards people can go out and find caches. You can even mention that on the cache page, as an aside, as long as the cache page is "focused" on the social part.

Thanks for all the replies and links guys. Seems a shame, but I suppose they have their reasons. At least the Ontario test results look promising.

Caches placed purely for the purpose of the event would be in violation of the cache permanence guideline. You *can* place caches purely for the event by you can't list them on the site if they're just temporary caches for the event.

As Brian said, the purpose of Geocaching events is to bring geocachers together. If those cachers want to spend some time at the event organizing a group hunt for caches that's fine, but an event shouldn't be created for the purpose of finding a bunch of caches and increasing the find count of the attendees. Frankly, I'd support an initiative to eliminate attending an event adding to ones find count.

There was an event to get a cache a while back. I wouldn't know it if I didnt have the cache on my watch list. I was getting emails like crazy and a few people say something about an event. :ph34r:

I dont know HOW it got passed the reviewers but I am sure it can be done.

What about the Cache Machine events?

The guideline is broken there or can be bend if you know the right reviewers.

There was an event to get a cache a while back. I wouldn't know it if I didnt have the cache on my watch list. I was getting emails like crazy and a few people say something about an event. :ph34r:

Probably because he said "If you just want to attend the event and not go down into the river gorge to get the cache, thats totally up to you." Same for the Cache Machine Events. The event is something separate at the end of the day with a link to the local forums which have more info about the cache machine portion.

There are lots of events where caching takes place during and after, but the main goal of an event is for people to meet and have fun outside of caching. Here's how it usually occurs. Plan an event in a park with caches and have a meet and great for an hour or two, during the event some people will form groups and go caching. Or even at the monthly pub meet you just ask around and say, "After we're done is anyone interested in going to find x, y, and z with me?"

I was at the event...you got credit for the event even if you did not go down to the Ring of Fire, but lets be honest....who would drive out there if not going to it? That one was probably a bit grey but the event was just for being at the trailhead technically. It was pouring down rain so unless you were going down, you did not leave your car.

Although I understand why this is outside of the guidelines, I would welcome an official designation for this type of gathering. Maybe it wouldn't be an "event" but an "outing" or something similar. No smiley for it needed. Having a way to publish that you and some friends are going after some caches and have it show up in the weekly newsletter would be fun and a lot more people would see it than if you posted it in the forums. IMO

In Romania, there are three types of events:

- pub gatherings;

- one day events

- multi-day events

"Pub gatherings" are what the name implies; geocachers get together at a local pub/bar/restaurant/etc.

One day events are probably what the OP is looking for. They go like this:

- the host(s) hide a bunch of permanent caches, and ask the reviewer to delay their publishing until the day of the event;

- the day starts with meeting the host(s) at the event coordinates, starting at a specified time. It's a good opportunity to meet old friends and make new ones, and team up for the hunt that follows (for example those without cars can team up with those who have one);

- at a specified time, the host(s) hand out the new geocache listings, and/or have a laptop with the .gpx ready to load into the participants' units. About the same time the caches are published by the reviewer;

- the geocachers scatter around, hunting caches until the evening;

- at a specified time during the evening, the "official event" starts, usually at a restaurant. Geocachers get together again, have dinner, swap trackables, and discuss general topics, geocaching topics and that day's geocaching adventures. If there's an event logbook, it gets signed during the evening gathering;

- a few hours later the event ends, and geocachers are free to spend the night as they see fit.

Multi-day events are similar to one day events, with the following differences:

- they span over two or more days;

- there are all kinds of games and other tricks during the gatherings;

- the evening gatherings take place usually at a campground, and can go on until dawn;

- during the last day there's no evening gathering.

I think the OP is looking for what I call a "one-day event". The majority of them take place on a Saturday, and usually several geocachers work together to host them.

Those who would like such events but can't find one, should think about hosting one. Find another geocacher or two to help, hide some geocaches (independently), organize the gathering (together with the co-hosts), and publish the event. Even the hosts can have fun during the day, hunting the caches hidden by the other hosts.

Caches placed purely for the purpose of the event would be in violation of the cache permanence guideline. You *can* place caches purely for the event by you can't list them on the site if they're just temporary caches for the event.

As Brian said, the purpose of Geocaching events is to bring geocachers together. If those cachers want to spend some time at the event organizing a group hunt for caches that's fine, but an event shouldn't be created for the purpose of finding a bunch of caches and increasing the find count of the attendees. Frankly, I'd support an initiative to eliminate attending an event adding to ones find count.

Thanks for the feedback but I wasn't suggesting using the event to increase your find count. My idea was more of a side line to run along with standard geocaching. a combination of geocaching and orienteering if you like. A competion with a fun eliment. There is no intention to desturb, replace, disrupt or undermind the rules and regulations of geocaching.

It could merely be an expansion of the game. Was there this much negativity when someone suggested adding trackable items? how about when they introduced 'Geocache Challenges' which don't acutally involve caches at all?

- pub gatherings;

- one day events

- multi-day events

"Pub gatherings" are what the name implies; geocachers get together at a local pub/bar/restaurant/etc.

- the host(s) hide a bunch of permanent caches, and ask the reviewer to delay their publishing until the day of the event;

- the day starts with meeting the host(s) at the event coordinates, starting at a specified time. It's a good opportunity to meet old friends and make new ones, and team up for the hunt that follows (for example those without cars can team up with those who have one);

- at a specified time, the host(s) hand out the new geocache listings, and/or have a laptop with the .gpx ready to load into the participants' units. About the same time the caches are published by the reviewer;

- at a specified time during the evening, the "official event" starts, usually at a restaurant. Geocachers get together again, have dinner, swap trackables, and discuss general topics, geocaching topics and that day's geocaching adventures. If there's an event logbook, it gets signed during the evening gathering;

- a few hours later the event ends, and geocachers are free to spend the night as they see fit.

- the evening gatherings take place usually at a campground, and can go on until dawn;

I think the OP is looking for what I call a "one-day event". The majority of them take place on a Saturday, and usually several geocachers work together to host them.

Those who would like such events but can't find one, should think about hosting one. Find another geocacher or two to help, hide some geocaches (independently), organize the gathering (together with the co-hosts), and publish the event. Even the hosts can have fun during the day, hunting the caches hidden by the other hosts.

THANK YOU. SOMEBODY UNDERSTANDS ME!!!

This is exactly what I was thinking of one-day and multi-day events just as they are described above. If they are allowed in Romania why aren't they allowed here. Is Romania not governed by Groundspeak? Who do we speak to about trying to get these types of things added to the recognised list?

Does anybody else think this sounds like a fun day/weekend out???

Anybody want to have a go at hosting one with me???

- pub gatherings;

- one day events

- multi-day events

This is exactly what I was thinking of one-day and multi-day events just as they are described above. If they are allowed in Romania why aren't they allowed here. Is Romania not governed by Groundspeak? Who do we speak to about trying to get these types of things added to the recognised list?

- pub gatherings;

- one day events

- multi-day events

They are allowed. But notice what he said about the one-day event: "The 'official event' starts". The event listing is for the gathering at the resturaunt/campground, not for the cache run. Here in the NW we call them "cache machines" - there's an 'official' route of caches (which you can follow in whatever direction/order you want) that is done during the day, but this orginized in the forums - the "event" is the dinner that evening, you can attend the dinner (getting credit for the event) without having to do one cache that day (I did that once when the CM took place in my home area, I'd found almost all the caches prior to the event).

Thanks for the feedback but I wasn't suggesting using the event to increase your find count. My idea was more of a side line to run along with standard geocaching. a combination of geocaching and orienteering if you like. A competion with a fun eliment. There is no intention to desturb, replace, disrupt or undermind the rules and regulations of geocaching.

It could merely be an expansion of the game. Was there this much negativity when someone suggested adding trackable items? how about when they introduced 'Geocache Challenges' which don't acutally involve caches at all?

I have no idea how the introduction of trackable items was received but Geocaching Challenges certainly had a log of negativity. In an open forum like this one, any suggestions is likely going to get a fair amount of discussion and the responses are not always going to be positive. That's that nature of open forums.

Even when a suggestion appears to be a good idea on the surface, one should consider the benefits vs. the resources required to implement the suggestion. Since Groundspeak has a finite amount of development resources they can't implement every suggestion so they're development efforts need to be spent on those that are going to have the most "bang for the buck". One of the factors in making that decision is whether or not their is a viable alternative which meets the needs. In this case, the use of local geocaching group mailing lists or discussion groups (i.e. google groups, facebook groups, etc), the use of regional forum sections, or even using events to make announcements all work well to organize group caching outings.