Getting around Seattle

dakboy

I'll be traveling to Seattle in November for work, and hoping to get some good caching in while I'm there. "Home base," as it were, will be in the vicinity of the convention & trade center.

I'm not planning on renting a car, just relying on public transport and my legs to get me around. Any good parks within easy reach of a train stop that will be open in the evenings? I'm definitely planning on getting over to Piers 62 & 63, but I'll walk that. Anything special I should know about getting around town after business hours?

Y'all got some weird puzzles with low difficulty ratings out there.

If your trip falls across a weekend, and you can manage one of the days off, I will organize a hike of the month for ya. Don't worry about transportation.

Thanks for the offer, but the closest I'll get to that is if I take a redeye out of town Saturday. I'm flying in Monday and will leave either late Friday or sometime Saturday. I feel bad leaving my wife home alone with the kids for even that long.

If you have a smartphone, look for the app "One Bus Away" - it's great for knowing when the next bus should show up and shows the route the bus will take with the stops.

It's a little bit of a hike from where you'll be, but Kerry Park up on Queen Anne is where you'll find the postcard view of Seattle and some good caches. It's walkable from downtown, but there are also buses that can get you up the hill as well.

If you're able to schedule a visit in the afternoon at Groundspeak, there are a few bus lines that will get you within a block or two of the office from downtown.

If you have a smartphone, look for the app "One Bus Away" - it's great for knowing when the next bus should show up and shows the route the bus will take with the stops.

It's a little bit of a hike from where you'll be, but Kerry Park up on Queen Anne is where you'll find the postcard view of Seattle and some good caches. It's walkable from downtown, but there are also buses that can get you up the hill as well.

If you're able to schedule a visit in the afternoon at Groundspeak, there are a few bus lines that will get you within a block or two of the office from downtown.

HQ is on my wishlist, but timing will be tight. I just booked my flight, landing at SEATAC about 2:20 PM on Monday. I plan on traveling light (no checked baggage) so I'll be able to get out of the airport quick, and that afternoon would be the only possible time I could fit it in. The HQ listing says appointments are T-F 2-4, which puts things in a real bind.

After a few emails back & forth w/ HQ, it looks like I won't be making the pilgrimage on this trip. The only way I even have a shot at it would be to drop $60 on a cab, and I just can't get my head wrapped around doing that.

Post when it is you would be going, and perhaps someone who reads this thread might give you a ride.

It's worth a shot.

As of Sept 28, 2012 buses in the downtown Seattle core will no longer be free to ride. Fares are $2.25-$3.50 depending on time and distance. The website can help with trip planning as well http://metro.kingcounty.gov/ or customer service 206-553-3000. There are also customer service booths inside the transit tunnel at Westlake Station and International District station.

If none of these get you the info you need drop me a note as A driver I am willing to help.

I'll try to avoid the buses where possible. I'm fine with taking the train in from the airport, and maybe around to other areas if I decide to go to a far-off park. There's a good amount of sightseeing and caching to be had within 1.5 miles of where I'll be staying, that's a comfortable walking range.

Seattle is a Zipcar city. It's a car sharing service. I've never used the one in Seattle so I don't know how cost effective it would be for you but it is another option.

Looks like it'd cost me more than cab fare just to join the service. Interesting idea, but cost-wise I don't see it working. Plus, no cars anywhere near the airport.