Switching to a GPSr seems so complicated!

MCandthePeeps

I'm new at geocaching. I have been using the Geocaching app on my iPhone 4 and so far have found it great.

However, we live in Canada and will soon be taking a trip to the USA and planned to do some caching. Using the iPhone will not be a good option as the data charges will be extreme. So we figured it would be a good time to invest in a GPS to use while we travel and to make our hobby even more fun while we are close to home.

However, the more time I spend on the forums, the more I think it's way too confusing and complicated.

After much research I did decide on my GPS of choice (Oregon 450) and even found it on sale with some Canadian topo maps included on DVD.

But - how to make it work? Perhaps transferring a PQ is not hard... but I see so many other issues on the forums. People have to download extra programs, applications, upgrades etc. Adding extra maps can be expensive and it sounds like more programs are needed so the computer can read the map and transfer it to the GPS. :huh:

I use a MacBook Air and I am not tech savvy. I don't have a lot of time to work on this kind of thing. It would frustrate me.

At this time I'm thinking I'll just stick with the iPhone and not geocache while in the USA, which would be too bad, but could be a much better choice in the long run.

Having said all that - if it's not as complicated as I think it is, please enlighten me!

We have a Magellan explorist GC that is very simple to use but as you are not a premium member (yet?) you don't have access to pocket queries or the Caches Along a Route feature.

If you aren't planning to become a PM yet, may I suggest that you browse the maps in the area you will be travelling and print out the info for a selection of caches you find interesting. Are you able to enter basic coordinates into your phone's GPS app? If you can do that without roaming charges then you can still do a little bit of caching in the states.

I am in a similar situation. I started Geocaching on an Android, but recently incorporated the Garmin Oregon 450. I've found a couple tricks that seem to help me.

When using my Oregon, I try to geocache in a known area. I might print a couple screenshots of maps from Geocaching.com and keep those on hand, at least to help out with roads & features that don't necessarily show up on the topo maps.

I use the pocket query and send myself a GPX file with the caches in a particular area or along a route.

Then just copy the GPX file onto your Garmin. Connect your Garmin to your computer via the USB cable and copy the GPX file to your \Garmin\GPX directory (on the Oregon).

The usefulness of the Garmin is greatly extended if you acquire more maps. I acquired some basecamp maps of the area where I live and where I recently went camping and it worked. Hunt around on Google and you can find some decent free maps. (GPSFileDepot, etc.)

Don't stop thinking about it... there are other options.

Sure, switching between devices and/or manufacturers even, is tough at times. But once you know both, you wonder how you did it with just the one.

Did you look at Delorme? It seems you were sold on Garmin from the git-go.

Delorme has no Mac issues (that I am aware of), comes complete with Topo 9 USA/Mexico/Canada.

You can download the Cache Register widget from Delorme for free... it loads the PQ's and uploads field notes to geocaching.com automatically (well, it does ask you if the want the field notes uploaded). No other programs necessary!

To take it a step further, deleting geocaches/waypoints from the unit, unlike Garmin, can be done at any time w/o plugging into a computer. You can delete by classification (traditional, multi, EC, found, unfound, etc.) or just plain individual caches.

With Topo 9 installed, it also routes you, but doesn't talk. It gives alerts (beeps) ¼ mile from a turn and 100 ft from the turn.

Just sayin'.... there are other options, ya know.

That Oregon is an easy unit - no need for any external software for the PQs. Just unzip and place the file (drag and drop) onto the unit in the garmin\gpx folder. Done - go caching.

Maps - open software - click on the areas you want on the unit - click transfer. Done - go caching.

Except that the OP is not a Premium Member. How easy is it to download individual gpx/loc files into that unit?

I am a premium member, I bought my membership last night. I don't know why it isn't saying I am, but I am!

All your comments are appreciated, everyone!

Yes, you are. I had checked your personal profile to make sure -- it takes a while to show up as such in the forums (different servers).

It's a stumbling block that isn't always caught by someone. That is, until they stumble once or twice. :)

That Oregon is an easy unit - no need for any external software for the PQs. Just unzip and place the file (drag and drop) onto the unit in the garmin\gpx folder. Done - go caching.

Maps - open software - click on the areas you want on the unit - click transfer. Done - go caching.

^This

As far as maps go, yeah, it's a little tricky learning how to get maps (free maps) to the unit...if you buy them from Garmin, of course, I'm sure the process is a lot easier but you would have to spend the money to get them. I'm not sure how well Garmin plays with Mac, though.

There is yet another option available to you, though...Once you have generated your PQ it will be available on the Groundspeak app. You can save this PQ within the app. If the caches are saved in the app you do not need a data signal to cache...so once you get in the U.S. you can turn off data services if you want and hunt the saved caches on your phone. The iPhone 4 has a GPS chip on board and will function as a GPS without connection to a cell tower.

Of course, you wouldn't have live maps then, but you can also save the maps for each cache in the app as well. I would do this over WiFi before you leave because it's a lot of data and will take some time to download.

Except that the OP is not a Premium Member. How easy is it to download individual gpx/loc files into that unit?

I am a premium member, I bought my membership last night. I don't know why it isn't saying I am, but I am!

All your comments are appreciated, everyone!

Yes, you are. I had checked your personal profile to make sure -- it takes a while to show up as such in the forums (different servers).

It's a stumbling block that isn't always caught by someone. That is, until they stumble once or twice. :)

Log out (of the forums), log back in.

Helps the servers synchronize.

On a Mac.

PQ's can be download, unzipped, and the two files (xxxxx.gpx and xxxxx.wpts.gps) copied over to the Garmin folder on the GPS

do you have a chance to use the GPS before you leave?

this would help you get acquainted with it. not just how to use it but how to run a PQ and load it up.

you can use the fancy programs, but they are not necessary.

can set up and run the PQ. download it to computer. unzip it and then copy it to the GPS.

idk how a mac works, but i would guess there are zip programs and mayb even something built in that will unzip the PQ.

then copy to the right folder on your gps.

then remove gps from computer.

don't get frustrated. it is too early to do that.

i think the 450 can hold either 2000 or 5000 caches on it. my 62s can hold 5000.

which is alot of options. guessing where you are staying will have internet access so you can take time now while at home and set up multiple PQ's. one for immediate area you are visiting. one for extended area. multiple ones for the route or a caches along a route option.

you can filter out certain types or difficulties of caches in the PQ.

heck if you are not tech and have a little time hit up a local cacher at some event and have them help you. they are usually helpful folks.

Monty

You needn't be worried about transferring PQs onto the unit... I wrote this handy little guide to show how easy it is! And it's mac based!

Here is a short guide to download a GPX file from a cache page to a Garmin Oregon (450) on a Mac. If doing a PQ, just download the PQ instead of the single cache and follow the same steps.

Go to the cache page required, and click GPX File (highlighted). It should then download and is visible in the Downloads dialog box if using Safari.

screenshot20120331at192.png

Go to Finder, select 'Today' from the left hand panel and find the GPX file. Select it, then press Cmd+C to copy it.

screenshot20120331at192.png

Select your Garmin from the Desktop.

screenshot20120331at193.png

Once the Garmin is open in finder, go Garmin -->GPX --> and then press Cmd+V to copy it.

screenshot20120331at193.png

Eject your Garmin by dragging it to the recycle bin, and now the GPX file should be on your GPS.

Edited by Two Ton Whale

There is yet another option available to you, though...Once you have generated your PQ it will be available on the Groundspeak app. You can save this PQ within the app. If the caches are saved in the app you do not need a data signal to cache...so once you get in the U.S. you can turn off data services if you want and hunt the saved caches on your phone. The iPhone 4 has a GPS chip on board and will function as a GPS without connection to a cell tower.

Of course, you wouldn't have live maps then, but you can also save the maps for each cache in the app as well. I would do this over WiFi before you leave because it's a lot of data and will take some time to download.

AHA! I had no idea! :lol: I made a PQ last night and have accessed it on my phone, I am downloading it for offline use as we speak. I will experiment with it this weekend and see how it works. Do you know how I can turn off all data and wifi to the phone so that I can try offline searching, I have no idea how to do this simple thing!

We may still get the Oregon450, the husband wants a new gadget! But as we're just learning, it would be nice to have a second way to access cache info - and using the iPhone offline would be perfect.

In the light of day, with all your (everyone's) comments, it doesn't seem as confusing. But there are a few forum topics which make it sound very complicated. I will avoid reading them!

Thanks all,

C

AHA! I had no idea! :lol: I made a PQ last night and have accessed it on my phone, I am downloading it for offline use as we speak. I will experiment with it this weekend and see how it works. Do you know how I can turn off all data and wifi to the phone so that I can try offline searching, I have no idea how to do this simple thing!

I think I figured it out myself - I have turned off wifi and cellular data in the Settings menu. I'm not sure if I need to turn both off to avoid astronomical charges when I cross the border (I will call my cellular provider next week to confirm all of that). But for now this will allow me to play with the saved cache list and see how it compares functionally to when I'm online. Hopefully it will be an easy solution - and an inexpensive one! - so that we can search for a few caches in the US of A.

Thanks again to all who contributed to calming me down and sorting me out!

C

To protect yourself while roaming. Turn off "Data Roaming" in your phone settings. Also contact your phone provider BEFORE you go and let them know you don't want roaming charges for data and have them walk you through setting up your phone. Then you are covered if somehow you end up getting data charges (trust me, you aren't going to).

It's worth setting up your phone properly because when you travel there are often free wireless points in your hotel or coffee shops that you may want to take advantage of.

You really can pre-load maps and caches into geocaching software, it works pretty well. You just might not get the most recent finds if you travel for several weeks. Good luck!

If you're pretty sure you're hooked on this game, you may want to just go ahead and invest in the Oregon. I have the Oregon 550 (basically the same unit but with a camera) and I love it. Although there are many cachers who have found hundreds and even thousands of caches with a smartphone alone, chances are you'll eventually want a dedicated GPSr...longer battery life and not having to worry about dropping your iPhone in a creek or on the concrete are two reasons why.

I still use both of my devices...the phone when I'm just picking up a couple of park 'n' grab caches on the spur of the moment, the Oregon when I'm planning a whole day of caching or planning to venture off the beaten path a bit. They both have their place.

I made a PQ last night and have accessed it on my phone, I am downloading it for offline use as we speak. I will experiment with it this weekend and see how it works. Do you know how I can turn off all data and wifi to the phone so that I can try offline searching, I have no idea how to do this simple thing!

I don't know how to turn it off, on the iPhone. On the 'droid, there's a switch in "settings". The Geocaching Apps (most any of them) want a constant data connection. That is, the Apps assume live info is available all the time. So if you click "map" (for example), it just sits and spins. It took me a little practice to get familiar with what works and what doesn't. I've also sometimes started at a wifi hotspot, loaded one cache map and all, then I could find it just fine.

Worst case scenario, just load a PQ in advance as mentioned. You'll get cache text, bearing and distance with no maps, which may be OK depending on the caches.

Edited by kunarion