Do you ever get frustrated?

I'm fairly new to this, but days like today remind me that I either need to plan better or find another hobby. Here is the log that I posted today:

While the DNF logs tend to have the best stories, I seem bound and determined to buck that trend with this cache. I work less than a mile away and have been looking at this cache for a few weeks and waiting for the perfect day to do a lunch time cache (Note to self: if the attributes don't say lunch time cache, there's probably a reason for that). I tried to get this cache one other time, but not being from Johnstown, I drove around for almost 20 minutes and could not find an entrance to Stackhouse Park. This time would be different, I promised myself. I enlisted the help of a co-worker, who was born and raised in Johnstown. Her excellent Johnstown knowledge led us right to the entrance of Stackhouse park. Looking at our map, however, we felt sure that w could find an easier/closer route to the cache. We drive another 1.2 miles and parked along Clarion Street. From the map, this was as close as you can get to the cache from the outside of the park- only .2 miles in fact! Imagine how proud of ourselves we were- we were fully ready to upgrade our status from lunch time cachers to full-blown professionals with this stroke of genius! So we park the car, and image our good fortune when we see that there is a path in the woods right at the end of Clarion- surely fate was smiling upon us. Now would be the time to mention that we decided to try for this cache the day after the biggest rainstorm to hit Johnstown in years. While there was definitely a path, it was a VERY (let me stress, VERY) steep downhill decline. Determined to have a 30 minute caching trip, I bravely forged ahead before sensibility could creep in and we could consider what we were doing. Because of the rains, the ground was so soft and we immediately began slipping down the hill. Two things occurred to me at this point: 1. I was going to have to spend the rest of the day at work with skid marks on my pants. 2. We were not going to be able to go back out the way we came. My poor partner neglected to wear proper shoes and proceeded to step through mud and poison ivy in flip-flops. The .2 mile trek from the car took us nearly 30 minutes because of the soft ground and steep grade. We crossed the stream barefoot (no bridge to be found at our location), and proceeded to look for the cache. It took about 15 minutes of searching, but I located it about 40 feet from where the GPS had it hidden- Finally, success is mine. But wait, here comes the catch- WE COULDN’T OPEN THE CACHE!!! Both of our hands are wet and dirty and we couldn’t get a good grip on it to twist the top off. This will not do- Taking one for the team (and remembering that I still have to go back to work), I took off my t-shirt (I had a tank top underneath) and we used that on the muddy, dirty cache to finally get the top off (the dirt on the back of my shirt matches the skid marks on my pants). We signed the log and cleaned out the garbage (soggy business cards, broken crayons and rocks) and headed out. This time, we smartly took the main path and a 20 minute hike to the entrance. From there, we did the 1.2 mile walk to where our vehicle was parked. Egos deflated, our lunch time cache turned into a 2 hour adventure. Normally, I’d say TFTC, but right now, I just can’t do it. Maybe I’ll come back and edit my log in a few days…

Been there -- done that.... not being able to open the cache.

We had found a very nice cache, that displayed some interesting and intricate construction. Well, the internal container was PVC with a screw-on lid. If you haven't found any yet, you will soon discover that at times, they are nearly impossible to open by hand. This one, because of the camouflaged shell encasement would most certainly have been destroyed if we had worked at it any longer.

Emailed the CO, (s)he responded with the fact we should log it as found, and they went to correct the situation.

This is as it should be....

Best to notify the CO lest the next cacher may destroy the container. They will probably allow you to claim your find.

Now, as far as you finding your way to the cache..... sorry, 'tis part of the geocaching experience. :)

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I'm not sure where the frustration lies. I read someone's signature line once that said "it's not an adventure until something goes wrong" and it's so true. I guarantee you will remember this cache outing. It seems it was not the fault of the cache or the cache owner, but an unwise choice on how to approach it. Perhaps the cache owner could have posted parking or trailhead coordinates to help out those that are not familiar with the area.

I never could stay clean for more than about 5 minutes - geocaching is a perfect fit for me. :)

I'm fairly new at it as well (3-months of serious caching, 211 finds).

Yes, I do get frustrated at times. Usually it has to do with finding the hardest route into a cache only to find it, turn around and find a nice geotrail out.

I do that at least once a week, even when surveying the area first.

I think as time goes by you'll look back at this and get a laugh out of it but also learn from it.

You're opening sentence shows that you have learned from it already....planning.

Proper footwear and a change of clothes.

I think if it wasn't for the recent rain, you'd have had a better experience.

But you still got the :)

Edited by BlackRose67

I'm fairly new to this, but days like today remind me that I either need to plan better or find another hobby. Here is the log that I posted today: While the DNF logs tend to have the best stories... <snip> ...Maybe I’ll come back and edit my log in a few days…

This is probably one of the best logs I've read in a while. I can understand being frustrated about having a "quick" lunchtime cache turn into a bit of an adventure but honestly I think this sounds like a heck of a lot of fun. Maybe I'm crazy?

Sit back and let it sink in for a few days. I'm sure you will be laughing about this by Sunday. Whatever you do please DO NOT CHANGE THIS LOG!!! IT IS AWESOME!!!

Yeah, I get frustrated too. Nothing worse, though, than looking for a cache and having to give up only to go back and see that you looked right past the thing! I had one earlier this week that I should have seen as I was getting out of my car, but I guess the early hour (before 7:00 am) coupled with the fact that I needed to get to work, allowed my brain to just filter out the cache, even though I looked RIGHT AT IT... at least TWICE! LOL

You learned a lot of lessons, but there are two I'd like to stress:

Avoid making the cache the point. The point here is a nice walk which, joy of joys, happens to include a cache. If looked at in this way, you would have parked in the logical place for people walking in the park instead of trying to park as close to the cache as possible. In most cases, the cache will tend to be hidden with the walk in the park in mind, too, so that attitude normally puts you and the hider on the same wavelength.

Yes, if you're planning a walk in a park for a cache, check out the park in advance: on-line trail map, space view, tips in the cache description. You don't have to go crazy, just spend a couple minutes taking a look. Many times this will help you understand the hider's intentions for the most enjoyable way to get to the cache.

Oh, I suppose there's a third lesson, but you appear to have already taken that one to heart: enjoy the trip and remember to have lots of fun even if things go wrong.

You went looking for a 3* Terrain cache, in a natural drainage, one day after a big rain storm. I'm not sure how it could have turned out any different. I've been on plenty of mud hikes. I'm the one that always lands on my butt, covered with mud.

Sounds like you had both, an enlightening and down right memorable experience. I've been in this predicament many times and still try "shortcuts" when they become available. (nope, i still haven't learned :lol: . It can be somewhat frustrating at times but it doesn't take long befoe you realize how much fun it ended up being.

I enjoyed reading your log,, Goodluck on your next adventure!

The frustration was from being so new and not realizing why my plan was not such a good idea. In all of my previous finds, the quickest route was always the easiest and I havent had many adventures so far, as this was only find #21. I've had a few days to "cool off" and will admit, this was the most fun I've had so far on a find, even if it did put a damper on the rest of the work day. As noted above, I am taking away many lessons from this cache and will hopefully have many more logs to share.

I'm not sure where the frustration lies. I read someone's signature line once that said "it's not an adventure until something goes wrong" and it's so true. I guarantee you will remember this cache outing. It seems it was not the fault of the cache or the cache owner, but an unwise choice on how to approach it. Perhaps the cache owner could have posted parking or trailhead coordinates to help out those that are not familiar with the area.

I never could stay clean for more than about 5 minutes - geocaching is a perfect fit for me. :)

Very good advice. I was about to write to the OP stating that this is one cache that they will be telling stories about years from now, but I think that you said it better.

I'm only frustrated when I don't find the cache. I don't mind putting in a little extra effort, but I hate when it's all for nothing. ^^;

At one time I felt that way, but now I focus on enjoying the adventure, find or not. I've been on a good number of thoroughly enjoyable cache hunts where I didn't find the cache. To me it wasn't "all for nothing", rather it was the measure of a great cache. Sometimes my only regret is that I can't award the cache a favorite point because I didn't sign the log.