first times a failure

serenitysunbeam

Hello, I am new to the site and to geocaching :)

Today I took my 11 year old daughter out to look for our very first cache and i have to say it was a complete failure,

I used the I phone app to locate the cache but the gps just kept getting scrambled (we did pick one of the easier caches) telling us to go 20 metres north and then 50 south kinda thing!

we were walking around in circles for ages.

So anyway after a few hours searching in what seemed to be the nearest location we could get, in the baking heat, we gave in and came home.

we did have some fun while searching though and would like to do it again, and next time we will hopefully find a cache which will make it worth while,

I was just wandering though if anyone has some hints and tips for us which may make searching for a cache a bit easier for us beginners?

Thank you

Welcome!

For my first few times out searching, I tended to focus on....

we did have some fun...

It's hard to say, whether 10-20 years down the road, you'll remember that first find, but it's more than likely that you'll remember the great times you had spending time with the kids.

You may have already stumbled upon this webpage, but it may be worth repeating:

Finding your first Geocache

Good luck!

Today I took my 11 year old daughter out to look for our very first cache and i have to say it was a complete failure,

I used the I phone app to locate the cache but the gps just kept getting scrambled (we did pick one of the easier caches) telling us to go 20 metres north and then 50 south kinda thing!

So anyway after a few hours searching in what seemed to be the nearest location we could get, in the baking heat, we gave in and came home.

we did have some fun while searching though and would like to do it again, and next time we will hopefully find a cache which will make it worth while,

I was just wandering though if anyone has some hints and tips for us which may make searching for a cache a bit easier for us beginners?

Thank you

Yes ^ Don't give up! Geocaching is the best hobby around :rolleyes:

What size cache were you looking for? The terrain? Difficulty? And if you have the app where you can zoom in on google maps, try that, as this will give you a different view on things.

If you still have no success, email the cache owner or someone who has found the cache recently, as I'm quite sure they'll be happy to help you find your first cache.

:lol:

Pick a "Small" or "Large" container, read the recent logs so you know it's still there, be sure the hint is good. And check the satellite view if it's a spot where landmarks can guide you.

A swing of 50 meters is kind of unusual. To get a feel for how your iphone works, you could go to an open field, mark a waypoint on some object, then walk away and see how it guides you. In a very bad spot (think forest or whatever), I've had some luck starting in an open area, sighting onto some landmark (such as a tree), then pacing the distance.

If you're in a spot where the signal won't settle down, place the GPSr on the ground or hold it still and see if that helps. If the hint says "below the sign", you can at least narrow it down to just the signs that are within 50 meters.

Thank you

Actually, the cache you chose doesn't sound like it was one of the easiest since it had you walk 20 meters north then 50 south. A really simple geocache will probably be one with low dificulty/terrain ratings, is larger than a micro, and that has listed coordinates which take you straight to the cache. Keep in mind that most gpsrs and phones usually aren't perfectly accurate. They'll get you real close most of the time but there can be times when they'll have you a couple or few meters off. This is when your "geosense" needs to kick in. Try to think like a cacher,,, what size is the container, how would you hide the cache, what hiding spots look good for the cache, etc,,.

Actually, the cache you chose doesn't sound like it was one of the easiest since it had you walk 20 meters north then 50 south.

The OP may need to clarify if the GPS was acting up badly (20-50 meters off), or if the cache was a "Puzzle/Mystery" requiring measuring distances.

I don't think its the cache that was that hard to find I think it was just my signal going crazy, it is in woods near to me so to keep a signal was proving quite hard with all the trees around,

It was an easy cache on the stars but I guess because I don't really know what I'm looking for its proving tricky.

We did go back out later and look for another cache in a more open location and am pleased to say we found it :)

We have both had fun today and I think this is something that is definitely going to keep all of us busy during the school holidays :)

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.) And it is often best to start with traditional 2.gif caches, which will be at the published coordinates. Multi-caches 3.gif or mystery/puzzle caches 8.gif or other cache types can require more work just to figure out where the container is located.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10'). That applies both to your device, and to the cache owner’s device, so you may find the container 15-20' from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate. Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden.

Go ahead and read the cache's additional hints (if provided), and read the past logs and look at any photos in the cache's image gallery. They may help you understand what you're looking for, and how/where it may be hidden. It may also help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

with the IPhone app, it will tell you on the compass that it is accurate upto 32' or 16' for example. once your within that distance it tends to swing, pointing in different directions and changing distances. i dont know if this is what happened to you but it is something to maybe look for in the future.

im glad you enjoyed yourself and eventually found your first cache.

You're not alone - our first outing involved more than one DNF! Glad to see you have made a find now. Even after quite a few finds we still DNF some - usually the easy ones that the new cachers find. The main thing is to have fun and if you find a cache that you are searching for...bonus!

Welcome aboard, and Happy Caching!

Thank you

I go with my son on Saturdays, and I remember our first attempt was a total bust. We had to go back and look at the "hint" for the cache and then we were able to find it.

Here are a few tips that I have seen floating around the forums, that have been helpful to me and my son as we search:

-Cache size. Start with larger caches. They are easier to find. How large have the caches been that you are looking for?

-Planning. Print out the hints before go looking. The hints are encrypted, but easy to unencrypt if you feel stuck. Also, take note if the cache has a few recent "Did Not Find" messages logged. This can mean the cache is not there to be found. Sometimes the cache has been "muggled" (destroyed by someone who does not know about geocaching and just thinks it is garbage) or sometimes it is simply not there for various reasons. It happens. It is part of the game as well.

-Look for anything out of the ordinary. Piles of sticks or stones that don't seem to belong. Try to put yourself in the mind of the cache hider. What places look like good hiding spots? The name of the cache can also be a good hint in and of itself. It can provide useful information, like if you are in the general area (or way off), and where to look. Some give-aways are signs that other humans have been there; trampled down grass, other signs that the natural setting has been disturbed.

-Caches can be camouflaged to blend in with their surroundings. Several caches I have found have been in pine trees, and wrapped in green tape. I've even stared right at them for a few moments before realizing I was not looking at part of the tree!

-Keep at it. Experience will make you better at finding caches, including the failures, so don't dismiss them as not being worthwhile or time wasted. I have probably learned more from the caches I didn't find, and they often make for better stories later on!

-For many cachers, finding the cache is only part of the journey and the joy. Enjoy the journey even if you don't find the cache. A recent cache lead my son and I to a beautiful overlook. We could see our town and a lake in the distance. It was worth the trip, cache or no cache!

I hope what everyone else has posted and will post proves helpful!

Tom

I'm new too. I first tried Geocaching 2 years ago. Went after 3 one day and didn't find any of them. I gave up for 2 years. A few weeks ago I saw in the paper they were doing a free geocaching class near my home. I went and was inspired to try again. I went out and found 2 right then and there and absolutely loved it. I've done it a few times since then.

I'm finding that a major issue in my area is that about 3/4 of the caches I go for are really "fall to winter time" caches meaning there's tons of dense foliage making it not very fun to go after.

Just keep going and once you find one.

Read the description really good (look for clues), read the hint, read the cache comments (look for clues), look at the posted photo's under the cache.

Good luck!

Also, as a noob like me, one mistake I have to continually remind myself to NOT do is ignore the details given. For example, I looked for a cache on a steep grade under a foot bridge that had a one star rating for terrain so obviously the cache was on the bridge somewhere not below it. Another time, I was looking for a micro sized cache when the size was listed as regular. So I wasted a lot of time looking in places where only a micro would fit. Plus, a good cache listing sometimes gives hints in the description or even the name.

Edited by davetherocketguy