Magellan Companion (Handspring Springboard GPS Attachment) for Handspring Visor For Sale

Back in Sept of 2002, I bought a Magellan GPS attachment for my Handspring Visor Neo. I didn't know what I wanted to do with it, just thought it would be cool to mess around with. Then upon gloating on my new acquisition, a co-worker pointed me to www.geocaching.com and said, "all of these people have hidden treasure just for you, Tony, go find it!" Well, the rest is history and now I've purchased an Etrex Yellow for my girlfriend a few months ago. She in turn bought me an Etrex Legend for Father's Day.

The Magellan GPS Attachment ($149) has served me well! I bought the licensed version of Geoniche $24.95; (see it on www.palmgear.com) it has pointed me to many caches.

If you want to combine your Handspring Visor (Palm OS) with GPS/geocaching, THIS is the way to do it!

It plugs in to the Visor, via the Springboard Module 'jack'. It runs on its own 2 AA batteries, which last 10-12 hours. I use NIMh rechargeables. I don't use it for street navigation, so no maps are included. Here is link to Magellan's site of the Companion. http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/product.asp?PRODID=109

I'll part with the Companion & Licensed Geoniche software for $75/BO (+ $5 UPS Ground). Please email me @ veroeven@hotmail.com if you are interested.

Tony (WISearchers, Madison, WI)

We have the GPS, all we need now is the tall ship.

Still have the Magellan Visor GPS Companion?

I’ll buy it if it’s better than an eTrex.

Wanna sell your Visor as well??

What did it not do for you? Did you "need" to upgrade or just want to?

I am a newbie geocacher and bought an eTrex Yellow – now I am learning it’s not too cool a geochaching tool.

Luckily it only cost me $25. and a bunch of Marlboro coupons!

Did you upgrade because the Visor/Companion combination was not effective/usable??

Would a Palm/Companion be better?

Please don’t sell me something that you found to be less valuable than the eTrex I already have!!

Call (7 am to 9 pm CST) or email soon as I am leaving for Scottsdale Az in a week or two and want to place five caches along the way.

Thanx,

Ed Manley

Resolution Coaching, LLC

1512 Montecello Road

Irondale, Alabama 35210

205-956-6814

edmanley@bham.rr.com

Mine is not for sale but perhaps I can answer your questions.

quote:
Originally posted by Alabama Ramblers:

Still have the Magellan Visor GPS Companion?

I still have mine, but not for sale.

quote:
I’ll buy it if it’s better than an eTrex.

Sat reception is better with the PDA/GSP combo.

a stand alone GPS is more durable, but less expandable with the new software than can be used with the PDA/GPS.

quote:
Wanna sell your Visor as well??

NEVER icon_wink.gif

quote:
What did it not do for you?

when I got my PDA/GPS setup there were only 3 programs to use the setup and no good way to store or transfer waypoints to PC and back.

Now there are more programs.

quote:
Did you "need" to upgrade or just want to?

Just wanted to, and have 3 kinds now, looking into a 4th.

quote:
I am a newbie geocacher and bought an eTrex Yellow – now I am learning it’s not too cool a geochaching tool.

not cool? I have not had the yellow one but have a vista and emap.

The only thing I know that the yellow does not have is:

maps

more routs

more tracks

quote:
Did you upgrade because the Visor/Companion combination was not effective/usable??

I started caching with the unit and the Quadrafyer antenna is alot more effective at zeroing in on the cache which made it very usable icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Would a Palm/Companion be better?

If you invest in more PDA software then possably, but I would study what all you will have to spend (PDA,GPS, Software) Vs a better model of Garmin & Mapsource

to make YOUR ultimate caching tool.

quote:
Please don’t sell me something that you found to be less valuable than the eTrex I already have!!

I wont sell mine which might say something, but not my favorite GPS.

hope that helps

More rules = Less fun!

geocachingdb_button.giftexasgeocaching_sm.gifntga_button.gif

To Alabama Ramblers: I'm not sure who told you the yellow etrex is not a good geocaching unit, but they're wrong. Many, many cachers have them and have not had problems finding caches.

I started out with one, and only upgraded because I'm a tech junkie and had to have a mapping unit. I really enjoyed the yellow etrex.

So don't let someone get you down on that unit. For what it does, it's a winner all the way.

It will work with the Visor Deluxe as well and I belive the Neo.

I really like my Companion. and recently upgrade my 2MB Visor to an 8MB Deluxe by swapping out the memory card ($20 including shipping).

Waypoints are easy to enter manually using the Grafiti (handwriting recognition) that comes with PalmOS. I find that both the MapCompanion and NavCompanion that come in the CD with the Companion unit to be helpful.

quote:
I'm not sure if you know but, you MUST have a Handspring Visor (Palm Device) to use this GPS AT ALL!.

EMike

"It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts."