Garmin GPSMAP60 ?

I am looking at a used Garmin GPSMAP60 that I can get for a fair price. I know that it does not have a lot ao features and it was the lowest price of the map60 line. I would like anyone that has any experience with the unit, good or bad, let me know your thoughts. I only have experience with the Blue Etrex Legend but it does not work to good under cover.

I am looking at a used Garmin GPSMAP60 that I can get for a fair price. I know that it does not have a lot ao features and it was the lowest price of the map60 line. I would like anyone that has any experience with the unit, good or bad, let me know your thoughts. I only have experience with the Blue Etrex Legend but it does not work to good under cover.

I used a 60CS for about two years and then a 60CSx for another five years.

The 60 will be much the same as the 60CS but without the sensors (electronic compass and barometric altimeter) and without the colour screen.

I found the 60CS dropped signal alarmingly frequently. Under tree cover it frequently lost its GPS signal, and even walking in wide open spaces where the terrain was all but flat for a mile in all directions there were times when it would momentarily drop signal when it was clipped on my belt. On a long hike across open moorland it clocked my maximum speed as being something like 12.6mph so it must have experienced a lot of GPS drift even in the open moorland.

One time I went out walking and geocaching with my wife - I was using the 60CSx and she was using the 60CS. The CSx didn't miss a beat - it kept a solid GPS lock the entire time. Most times we went under tree cover I heard the CS warning tone that said it had lost its GPS lock.

When I was using the 60CS I liked it - for all it lost its GPS lock under tree cover and in urban canyons it was pretty much the best thing out there at the time. That said if you're wanting to upgrade because your existing GPS loses its lock under tree cover you may be disappointed in the 60. If you can get a 60 series with an "x" at the end of its name (60CSx, 60Cx, not sure if a 60x exists) you'll get an upgraded GPS chip and also a memory card slot.