Love padlocks

No doubt a very valid category. Actually I was convinced there was already one. I have a bunch of pics and coordinates awaiting for the moment I would find it. Are u sure it doesn't exit already? I was so convinced that I had seen it in the list before..... I would love to be an officer for that one by the way... I think these places are very positive and charming.

Nice pictures, it would be fun to waymark them.

Yes, there was discussion of this a while back, but it was never developed.

This link shows the variety and the global distribution of these sites.

The one listed for Korea is incorrectly listed as North Tower, Seoul. This is actual at Seoul N'Tower, but the "N" is for "nam" which means "south" as it is located on Namsam (South Mountain). But, I have seen these other places in Korean, including on small islands.

I would load the category down with too many variables. It least make the variable fields optional. This kind of information is best incorporated into the detailed description, and often the specific details are simply not available.

But, it is a great category idea that I think is worthy of development.

And, I don't want to hear "not prevalent." We don't need 10,000 waymarks to make an interesting category.

Not sure if it would be viable, I mean, there are no "love padlock" thingees in the Commonwealth of Australia, outside of certain speciality stores.

This was a joke, right?

Ah ah ahahah incredible. I was thinking about writing exactly that: "This was a joke, right?" :-)

Here is our proposal:

Category Proposal

Short and sweet.

I'd like again to comment on the "lack of prevalence" argument. This whole concept of prevalence is very ambiguous. How many potential sites must there be in order for them to be prevalent enough for a Waymarking category? 10? 1000? 205? I think the obvious answer is, "It depends." The other criteria need to be taken into account. A category of high interest but low prevalence can still be a good category. Even high global distribution can make a category of low prevalence a good one. On the other end of the spectrum, how much prevalence is too much? The NRHP Contributing Buildings category has what - over 100,000 potential waymaarks, or more? I think it is still a good category, although an argument could perhaps have been made for dividing it up by state, as are historical markers which have far fewer potential waymarks.

"Global" is another one of our criteria that depends on other factors. In how many countries must a category have potential waymrks in order to qualify as "global?" Obviously we have a large percentage of our categories that are limited to one country, and many more limited to one continent or geographic region.

The other problem in evaluating "prevalence," or "global," is that most of us have limited knowledge. Does any one really know how many "love lock" sites there are, or how many countries have them? I'd never seen one until I visited Seoul N'Tower, and even then I had no idea what I was looking at. Just because something is not common in my area or something I haven't encountered in my travels doesn't mean they aren't prevalent somewhere else.

In short, I think Waymarking.com can cast a wide net, and that small fish and big fish are both important. And, if I don't care a whit about love locks or Martello Towers or shoe trees, so what? How restrictive do we need to be? Obviously we have these criteria for a good reason, and I am not suggesting that we ignore them, but I do question the restrictive way we apply them sometimes.

Here is our proposal:

Category Proposal

Short and sweet.

I'd like again to comment on the "lack of prevalence" argument. This whole concept of prevalence is very ambiguous. How many potential sites must there be in order for them to be prevalent enough for a Waymarking category? 10? 1000? 205? I think the obvious answer is, "It depends." The other criteria need to be taken into account. A category of high interest but low prevalence can still be a good category. Even high global distribution can make a category of low prevalence a good one. On the other end of the spectrum, how much prevalence is too much? The NRHP Contributing Buildings category has what - over 100,000 potential waymaarks, or more? I think it is still a good category, although an argument could perhaps have been made for dividing it up by state, as are historical markers which have far fewer potential waymarks.

"Global" is another one of our criteria that depends on other factors. In how many countries must a category have potential waymrks in order to qualify as "global?" Obviously we have a large percentage of our categories that are limited to one country, and many more limited to one continent or geographic region.

The other problem in evaluating "prevalence," or "global," is that most of us have limited knowledge. Does any one really know how many "love lock" sites there are, or how many countries have them? I'd never seen one until I visited Seoul N'Tower, and even then I had no idea what I was looking at. Just because something is not common in my area or something I haven't encountered in my travels doesn't mean they aren't prevalent somewhere else.

In short, I think Waymarking.com can cast a wide net, and that small fish and big fish are both important. And, if I don't care a whit about love locks or Martello Towers or shoe trees, so what? How restrictive do we need to be? Obviously we have these criteria for a good reason, and I am not suggesting that we ignore them, but I do question the restrictive way we apply them sometimes.

Chapeau!

Not sure if it would be viable, I mean, there are no "love padlock" thingees in the Commonwealth of Australia, outside of certain speciality stores.

This was a joke, right?

Ah ah ahahah incredible. I was thinking about writing exactly that: "This was a joke, right?" :-)

Right. Australians are known internationally for their sophisticated sense of humour.

An issue has arisen in the peer review comments that has NOT appeared here in the forum discussion. I wish people would take advantage of this forum to raise issues BEFORE a category goes to peer review.

The issue concerns the lawfulness of these sites in some locations. Apparently there are some cities or agencies banning the practice of placing these "love locks." In some places they are regarded as a form of vandalism or as security risks.

There are many other places where these sites are officially sanctioned or even created by a city or other controlling agency. So, the practice is regarded differently from place to place.

I do NOT think that this negates the legitimacy of this category at all. One of the very first categories created by Groundspeak when Waymarking.com was launched was the Graffiti category. As we all know, graffiti is often regarded as vandalism and can even be regarded as a criminal activity. Should we discuss the category for Shoe Trees?

I think this category should take this factor into consideration, however.

A reasonable approach might to be to exclude waymarks coming from any location where these items are officially banned. A check box in the variable section could be used for the waymarker to indicate that he has verified that the site is legitimate. This would allow some of these really great sites to be wayamrked while protecting places where they are not allowed.

Of course. Many things are not legal in USA and are legal in some other countries and vice-versa. Just the fact that you can waymark places like military installations, police stations and other spots which in MANY countries you are not allowed to photograph provides a good example.

What can someone trying to start a new category answer to something like this?

"Not sure of prevalence in my neck of the woods. Having traveled extensively throughout North America, I haven't actually come across any of these."

What's the connection between whatever trips this fellow made in North America and the prevalence of a category? Is it so hard to understand that our backyard is not the world? I am glad that I am not personally involved in this category.

"Not sure of prevalence in my neck of the woods. Having traveled extensively throughout North America, I haven't actually come across any of these."

What's the connection between whatever trips this fellow made in North America and the prevalence of a category? Is it so hard to understand that our backyard is not the world? I am glad that I am not personally involved in this category.

Whoever posted that is addressing the criteria of global, and they did it in a really nice way, in my opinion. There are far worse things said in peer review.

The peer review is something like a meditation teacher. ;)

While reading the comments you have to take a deep breath, take another deep breath, then you have to calm down, after that you have to keep calm, read the comments again, if you did that sometimes you could laugh about some of them.

(But sometimes i get the feeling that a personal visit to some waymarkers would be a good idea) :anitongue:

Whoever posted that is addressing the criteria of global, and they did it in a really nice way, in my opinion. There are far worse things said in peer review.

This seems to be the common thread with the unusual type waymarks regardless of legality or any other issue they seem to always use the prevalence tag to deny a waymark idea.

when will the wider community wake up to the fact that the lack of prevalence for certain categories could be a good thing just because you don't have one next door dose not mean that it is not worth consideration.

Another problem is, that only about 15 waymarker write (and perhaps read) constantly in our forum.

If you start your new idea you get 2-3 comments and that's it. I don't know why the waymarker can't discuss here, but if there pops up a new peer review triangle, about 50-60 have something to say within three days?!

Perhaps someone could explain it to me, please.

The peer review is something like a meditation teacher. ;)

While reading the comments you have to take a deep breath, take another deep breath, then you have to calm down, after that you have to keep calm, read the comments again, if you did that sometimes you could laugh about some of them.

(But sometimes i get the feeling that a personal visit to some waymarkers would be a good idea) :anitongue:

Oh yeah, I understand you very well. The way some... er... person with apparent lack of something... can interfere with Waymarking is, in my opinion, of the big reasons why this game resulted in a major failure. Not only by voting and commenting in strange ways but, worst than that, as officers of categories. We all experienced dozens or hundreds of situations when that deep breath was necessary. Just this week I got a declined in the recycle waste points of collection (or whatever is the name)because containers were not big enough. Well... this is after I specifically explained in the description that containers were kept underground and were really big! Not only this! It happens like a deja vu, after a couple months ago I had send a Waymark with exactly the same model of containers... to see it declined... to resend it explaining that as stated in the description containers are underground... to finally have it approved. So... what do I do? I send this category to an ignore list, in a sense that I won't forget that I do not want to deal with such people. By now I have quite a few categories in this list of "I don't care". Sorry for the off topic.

...So... what do I do? I send this category to an ignore list, in a sense that I won't forget that I do not want to deal with such people. By now I have quite a few categories in this list of "I don't care"...

I hope you have no problem with my person :anibad:

You would miss some great categories ;)

...So... what do I do? I send this category to an ignore list, in a sense that I won't forget that I do not want to deal with such people. By now I have quite a few categories in this list of "I don't care"...

I hope you have no problem with my person :anibad:

You would miss some great categories ;)

No idea... this episode came to my mind as well as a situation with hand operated pumps, when I explicitly declared that although a specific pump could look electric in the pictures but it was HAND OPERATED ONLY, and still it was declined because "didn't look hand operated".