Retrieved or grabbed...confused?

Need me glasses

A "grab" log is used to pickup a trackable from anywhere other than a cache that it is logged into, such as a hand-off; a cache it was sitting in without be logged into; hanging in a tree; etc.

A "retrieve" log is use to (properly) log a pickup of a trackable from a cache that it has been logged into.

Regarding your quote, this happens when there is a time delay between placing it into a cache and actually logging the process online.

This time delay can be as little as 5 minutes or so.... it happens. It bothers some, but mostly they grow out of that concern.

Generally this happens when the next cacher to come along thinks the TB or GC isn't properly logged into that cache -- true, it hasn't been, YET! They are unaware that it may have been placed just minutes before they came across it, and you have not yet had time to log such.

There are ways to correct such action, but really, it's not worth getting one's shorts into a knot over it.

A "grab" log is used to pickup a trackable from anywhere other than a cache that it is logged into, such as a hand-off; a cache it was sitting in without be logged into; hanging in a tree; etc.

A "retrieve" log is use to (properly) log a pickup of a trackable from a cache that it has been logged into.

Regarding your quote, this happens when there is a time delay between placing it into a cache and actually logging the process online.

This time delay can be as little as 5 minutes or so.... it happens. It bothers some, but mostly they grow out of that concern.

Generally this happens when the next cacher to come along thinks the TB or GC isn't properly logged into that cache -- true, it hasn't been, YET! They are unaware that it may have been placed just minutes before they came across it, and you have not yet had time to log such.

There are ways to correct such action, but really, it's not worth getting one's shorts into a knot over it.

Thanks, that is making much more sense to me now!

The problem with cachers "grabbing" a TB before it has had a chance to be logged into a cache is that it potentially messes with the trackable's mileage. For example:

Let's say I retrieve a TB from here in BC and take it to California on vacation. I drop it in a roadside cache somewhere in San Diego but I won't be able to log it until I get home a week later. That same day, another cacher finds the cache, "grabs" the trackable, and drops it in a cache in Portland Oregon. Now as far as the website knows, the trackable never went to California at all. It only travelled 300 miles from BC to Portland instead of 1200 miles to San Diego (plus 900 miles back to Portland).

There are ways to fix this but not all cachers know how or will take the time to do it. So if you pick up a trackable from a cache, before you "grab" always look at the previous logs to see if it is likely that the last cacher who had it is on the road.

And ALWAYS write down the tracking number for the trackables you move! Just in case you need to fix something later. Learned that the hard way.

The problem with cachers "grabbing" a TB before it has had a chance to be logged into a cache is that it potentially messes with the trackable's mileage....

There are ways to fix this but not all cachers know how or will take the time to do it. So if you pick up a trackable from a cache, before you "grab" always look at the previous logs to see if it is likely that the last cacher who had it is on the road.

The most important thing is that if you do eventually have to grab a TB -- you can't wait forever for someone to log it, 'cuz often they've forgotten all about it -- make sure to have the TB visit the cache where you found it. That gives it the correct mileage, and also adds a log entry for the TB that you can edit to explain what has happened.

While I understand the desire to have me wait for the drop, it's not always possible. I rarely hold a TB for more than a few days, and I'm not going to delay logging my drop waiting for you to log yours. So do try to log your drops as quickly as you can, even if you're on vacation. I've been known to go into libraries and use their computers to log drops when I'm away from home, for example.

Oh, one more thing: if you do decided to wait for a while for the TB to be dropped, file a "discovered" log explaining that you have it, where you found it, and why you're waiting. That way when you forget about the TB, people will have a fighting chance to figure out where it is. (To me, the most interesting part of that advice is that when you try to explain why you're waiting, you might discover that you really have no good reasons, in which case you should grab it right away.)

The problem with cachers "grabbing" a TB before it has had a chance to be logged into a cache is that it potentially messes with the trackable's mileage....

The most important thing is that if you do eventually have to grab a TB -- you can't wait forever for someone to log it, 'cuz often they've forgotten all about it -- make sure to have the TB visit the cache where you found it. That gives it the correct mileage, and also adds a log entry for the TB that you can edit to explain what has happened.

While I understand the desire to have me wait for the drop, it's not always possible. I rarely hold a TB for more than a few days, and I'm not going to delay logging my drop waiting for you to log yours. So do try to log your drops as quickly as you can, even if you're on vacation. I've been known to go into libraries and use their computers to log drops when I'm away from home, for example.

Oh, one more thing: if you do decided to wait for a while for the TB to be dropped, file a "discovered" log explaining that you have it, where you found it, and why you're waiting. That way when you forget about the TB, people will have a fighting chance to figure out where it is. (To me, the most interesting part of that advice is that when you try to explain why you're waiting, you might discover that you really have no good reasons, in which case you should grab it right away.)

Exactly...... If I have the time to wait and know that I won't be caching the next several days/week - I'll let it go and wait for that 'other' person to log it. But.....If I pickup a TB and want to move it immediately that very same day OR I'm busy and won't have time either/or....I will 'grab' it immediately and I always visit them along the way before letting it go.

More often than not.... I would say 75% of the TB's in circulation are from owners who haven't logged on in months. When I see that - I don't worry too much about the 'technicalities' because they probably won't even notice anything I do with it.

I was reading up about TBs and dont understand what is meant by "someone grabbed the TB before you logged it"? I have read and reread but still cant get it! any help?

It is severe rudeness to do so. The modern sense of entitlement. "To perdition with you. *I*'m the only one who matters." Use a little courtesy. Wait for the current holder to drop it. Usually less than a week. Too bad common courtesy does not exist here. Yes. It has happened to me. Half hour drive back from the hile to find that the bugs had been grabbed from me. Worst was the 'lady' (and I use the term loosely) who grabbed a bug while sitting across the table from us.

Be courteous. Wait a week. It won't make any difference to the bug, but not waiting will infuriate other cachers.

Just an update.

Thanks to all the help I got from posting this message I myself was able to help out another new cacher, he had muddled up the drop and retrieve dates on a coin, making it appear that he had dropped it before he had retrieved it,this meant that I would have to log as grabbed, so I emailed a couple of times explaining that he needed to change the date (and how to do it) waited a couple of days, he put it right and I felt pleased to have been able to help sort it, so thanks educating me!!!

I recently committed a greivous error by grabbing a geocoin that, according to its page, had been whereabouts-unknown for five months. When I found it in a local cache, I made the assumption that it had simply resurfaced. Apparently not, the cacher who had it just happened to visit the same cache I did earlier that day; and I got a very curt email making sure I knew that. <_<

In hindsight, we all know that when we assume we make a DONKEY out of U and ME. So what I should have done is message the cacher who was supposedly in possession of the coin and ask if they were planning to log it. THEN I could wait a week before grabbing it.

In the end, I made sure to visit the coin to the cache I found it in so all the mileage is correct. Nothing lost for the coin - only some travel time.

I recently committed a greivous error by grabbing a geocoin that, according to its page, had been whereabouts-unknown for five months. When I found it in a local cache, I made the assumption that it had simply resurfaced. Apparently not, the cacher who had it just happened to visit the same cache I did earlier that day; and I got a very curt email making sure I knew that. <_<

In hindsight, we all know that when we assume we make a DONKEY out of U and ME. So what I should have done is message the cacher who was supposedly in possession of the coin and ask if they were planning to log it. THEN I could wait a week before grabbing it.

In the end, I made sure to visit the coin to the cache I found it in so all the mileage is correct. Nothing lost for the coin - only some travel time.

Well if someone sent me a curt email after hanging on to a coin for so long that it had been listed as whereabouts unknown, I most certainly would not have altered my logged grab, how rude!!!

"Thank you for the note explaining what happened. I was really wondering! I bet the owner was wondering, too, so be sure to log a note on the coin's page explaining where it's been for 5 months."

I had something similar happen to me: I found a coin in Hawaii, and the last time it had been seen was several months earlier in the midwest, so I just grabbed it right away in order to let the owner would know it was finally in play. Sure enough, it had just been dropped, and the dropper hadn't been able to log it yet. But I think he knew he was the problem, 'cuz he just explained in a log entry why it hadn't been logged when I grabbed it.

When I pick up a TB and it is not in the cache I usually wait a day or so for the other cacher to place in the cache so that I can Retrieve it. Not all cachers use smartphones for logging and some people take a bit of time with there logs. If after one or two days it has not been placed into the cache, then I will grab the TB. I usually try to indicate in the Grab log the cache where I found it so the owner will know where it has been.

Hi!

We have just found our first TB in our 36th logged cache and we are very excited about this!! The TB was properly logged into the cache we took it out from (so no problem there) and we logged a retrieve log half an hour after we took it. So, we now have the TB in our physical possession and are planning on dropping it during the next few days. What I did not understand, when reading about what to do with a TB, was can someone grab it from me without actually having the TB? Or is the grabbing only done if I don´t log it as dropped directly when I leave the actual cache I dropped it in?

As we are doing our best in trying to follow "cache etiquette", is a TB to be considered as a trade - that is, are we supposed to leave something in a cache when taking out a TB? I read some logs to see how others had done and found some logs where a TB had been taken out and nothing put in (or at least not logged anything in) so that was what we did since we did not have any good trades with us. Is it okey to do that?

Thanks for helping us newbies!!

Kindly,

Luttan

Hi!

We have just found our first TB in our 36th logged cache and we are very excited about this!! The TB was properly logged into the cache we took it out from (so no problem there) and we logged a retrieve log half an hour after we took it. So, we now have the TB in our physical possession and are planning on dropping it during the next few days. What I did not understand, when reading about what to do with a TB, was can someone grab it from me without actually having the TB? Or is the grabbing only done if I don´t log it as dropped directly when I leave the actual cache I dropped it in?

A trackable can only be grabbed from you by someone who has its tracking number. That's why some people do a "grab" when they take a trackable from a cache, but it hasn't been logged into the cache. Many cachers feel it's "polite" not to do a grab too soon, just in case the previous cacher hasn't had a chance to do their logging - they may have only been at the cache half an hour before you.

As we are doing our best in trying to follow "cache etiquette", is a TB to be considered as a trade - that is, are we supposed to leave something in a cache when taking out a TB? I read some logs to see how others had done and found some logs where a TB had been taken out and nothing put in (or at least not logged anything in) so that was what we did since we did not have any good trades with us. Is it okey to do that?

Kindly,

Luttan

Yes that's fine: Trackable (TBs and geocoins) are not trade items so you don't have to leave another trackable (or any other item) in their place when you take one from a cache - Just help it along on its journey.

MrsB :)

Edited by The Blorenges

Hi!

A trackable can only be grabbed from you by someone who has its tracking number. That's why some people do a "grab" when they take a trackable from a cache, but it hasn't been logged into the cache. Many cachers feel it's "polite" not to do a grab too soon, just in case the previous cacher hasn't had a chance to do their logging - they may have only been at the cache half an hour before you.

Kindly,

Luttan

Yes that's fine: Trackable (TBs and geocoins) are not trade items so you don't have to leave another trackable (or any other item) in their place when you take one from a cache - Just help it along on its journey.

MrsB :)

Excellent! Thank you, MrsB!!