Would a Coupon Trading Cache Be Allowable?

So, my fiancée is big into couponing. She isn't big into caching, but she suggested that I place a cache where people can trade coupons (which couponers frequently do) and get into the whole couponing thing.

I thought it was a pretty good idea but I am worried it might infringe on the no caches of a commercial nature rule..... The cache would not endorse any specific product or retailer and would be placed near a shopping centre that would not be named or endorsed as well. The only rule is that you must trade coupons whatever the type.

What the opinion among cachers? Would this be against the rule? I will also fire off an email to my local reviewer.

Edited by outdoorsaddix

Keeping up stock of coupons is not really a problem, she has them coming out of here, there and everywhere..... Lots she doesn't need. This cache could be a good way to share what she doesn't need so it does not go to waste.

If it passes, try it and see if you like it. Just don't get upset when not everyone participates as you would like them to. That's all I'm saying.

Would this be against the rule?

It would depend on the wording on the cache description. "Can" exchange coupons would be acceptable, but "must" exchange coupons would be a no-go. And any perceived agenda (promotion of a particular store or a brand or other commercial entity) wouldn't be allowed.

But in any case, the reality is that paper swag doesn't fare well in caches. I wouldn't expect a coupon exchange theme to last long - I think that very quickly such a cache will have little to do with exchanging coupons, and will mostly be just another cache.

If you are OK with that, go for it.

LOL. My wife just got into couponing about 3 months ago, it's amazing all the stuff she gets for just about free. It sure is funny to see the face on the cashier when the bill is just about nothing. They always say how did you do that or where did you get this coupon from I haven't seen one of these. LOL.

I say go for it, the ones who will trade will probably come back to trade again and again. Most people just want the smiley for the find anyway. Call it the Coupon Cache and leave it at that. I like the idea. Good luck.

Edited by the4dirtydogs

I see no idea in the world why in theory it would not work...have seen trading caches for baseball cards, signature pieces, pokemons, quilt stuff, why not coupons? Its no more commercial than putting McDonalds toys in a cache or a nike towel, you are not advertising a particular company after all.

in practice, I do not think it would be that popular or effective. They would expire, so its a lot of work to trade them out. Keeping them dry? Tough. I just do not see cachers trading these things often.

However, in practice, what do I know. Try it, go for it.

I see no idea in the world why in theory it would not work...have seen trading caches for baseball cards, signature pieces, pokemons, quilt stuff, why not coupons? Its no more commercial than putting McDonalds toys in a cache or a nike towel, you are not advertising a particular company after all.

in practice, I do not think it would be that popular or effective. They would expire, so its a lot of work to trade them out. Keeping them dry? Tough. I just do not see cachers trading these things often.

However, in practice, what do I know. Try it, go for it.

Well actually you are putting in commercials, that's the point of a coupon. As for being a valid cache all anyone has said is be careful in your description and run it past your reviewer. Chances are it'll fly.

It's the swag degradation issue that should be a concern for anyone expecting things to 'keep going' when they want their cache to do something besides being found and the log book signed. That's all.

Depending on the reviewer's interpretation of the commercial cache guideline it may run afoul of that. I'd run it by your reviewer before attempting it.

This is the best answer. There was definitely one in my area, but it was placed a good 2+ years ago, and is long since archived. Never found it, as it was in a trash-filled alley behind a strip plaza. I'd better look that up, wait a minute.....

Placed June, 2010, muggled and archived by May, 2011. Cache name: "Username's Coupon Swap" The entire cache description:

This cache is almost a cache n dash.Please take any coupons you need,and cover it up so it dose not get muggled.

I didn't think "does" was a particularly difficult word to spell, but I guess I'm mistaken. :ph34r: Important to note, I guess, that it doesn't say anything about trading coupons (despite the cache name). I'd definitely run this by the reviewer.

It sounds like a lot of work for a cache owner and cachers because you will have to constantly be taking out outdated, wet, or inappropriate coupons. I personally do not mind helping a cache owner when I come across a find that needs a little tlc but I think this one would be to much trouble.

I think the main issue at hand though is you are trying to get your significant other into caching.... I would suggest buying her a handful of travel bugs and dedicating them to her, your relationship, etc. Have both of you drop them off at tb hotels across the area then enjoy watching them travel. With any luck she might want to create a tb hotel.