PDA for Paperless Caching

Pacar

Hi group,

I bought an old second hand Palm PDA on eBay a couple of years ago so that I had a paperless system, this system has worked really well until I upgraded my aging steam powered laptop....

Palm's sync software will not install on Windows 7 and as such I'm now looking for an alternative that will work with Windows 7. Again, I'm hoping to purchase a second hand unit through eBay that I wont be too bothered about dropping in various puddles or onto the rocky crags we tend to find caches hidden around. Can anyone help, what would you recommend (upgrading my Garmin 60Csx is not a cost effective option....).

Cheers,

Pacar

Hi group,

I bought an old second hand Palm PDA on eBay a couple of years ago so that I had a paperless system, this system has worked really well until I upgraded my aging steam powered laptop....

Palm's sync software will not install on Windows 7 and as such I'm now looking for an alternative that will work with Windows 7. Again, I'm hoping to purchase a second hand unit through eBay that I wont be too bothered about dropping in various puddles or onto the rocky crags we tend to find caches hidden around. Can anyone help, what would you recommend (upgrading my Garmin 60Csx is not a cost effective option....).

Cheers,

Pacar

Fujitsu Loox, tends to cost around £25 on ebay.

Which edition of Windows 7 do you have?

Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate have something called Windows XP Mode which allow you to run Windows XP on your PC. If the software works on that then it might be worth a go. Unfortunately this isn't available in the Home editions on Windows 7

alternatively, if you have a licensed copy of Windows XP, you can download Windows Virtual PC and install XP on that. The same link will allow you to download Windows XP Mode.

Edited by MTH

Thanks for the replies, the Fujitsu Loox is certainly worth a look (no pun intended), does the Loox definitely work in Windows 7 though???

I'm running Windows 7 Home edition, but I could probably get Windows Virtual PC running, certainly worth playing with the idea on a cold evening as we tend to expect during our summers lol.

The upgrade to a Garmin Oregon isn't cost effective, but thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,

Pacar

Another alternative would be to use a smart phone. Most have a built in GPS and you can download apps specificaly for geocaching

Load up a PQ and the talkytoaster UK map and you don't need to worry about consuming vast amounts of data.

From reading the first post I gathered that the OP is using a Garmin 60CSX for navigating and just looking for a PDA for reading the cache details and logs, In which case buying any PDA that runs windows mobile 2003 or later would do as Win 7 has 'Microsoft Windows Mobile Device Center' which communicates with the PDA's (there are several free programmes available that read GPX files)

If you are going to use a PDA for navigating (using Memorymap) I would definitely recommend buying a PDA with a full VGA screen.... 640 x 480 pixels is much better for map reading than a normal PDA's QVGA 320 x 240 px screen

Thanks for the info on Talkytoaster, never heard of it before but it looks massively useful!

Fox661L, yes, you've hit the nail on the head. I intend to continue using my Garmin 60Csx as my GPS and just want a cheal second hand PDA to read the description etc after I have exported it from GSAK.

I use a LooxN560 with MemoryMap installed and I used it successfully as my main caching device for about a year. I then bought an Android phone with built in GPS and use that as well. Last year I bought an Etrex30 but I still use the Loox for looking at maps and navigating around larger areas.

I export csv and html files from GSAK and just copy them onto the SD card which I use in the Loox. To do this you just need a card reader so it shouldn't matter which version of windows you use.

(I originally bought a LooxN500 but bricked it attempting a firmware update. I did manage to use it before hand and the 560 is better as it has a faster processor, higher resolution, Wifi and Bluetooth. Bluetooth is useful if you ever want to connect to an external GPS receiver).