Geocaching.com site update July 24th 2012

Read the last update's Release Notes

Release Notes

Nothing of note to report in this release since we spent much of the last sprint tackling a lot of website technical debt. We'll be back in the next release with some goodies for the community. Thanks all!

Thank you for taking time to fix some of the bugs. I appreciate that and I well know continuing engineering some times is not near as much fun and the new features. I, for one, would like to see this as something you do every couple months or so.

Wasn't there an update yesterday?

That's what I thought.

Yeah, an unannounced change to the email system so you can not get the weekly email in straight text. You now can only get the HTML version. yuck.

The most recent weekly newsletter came out the day before this update, so there's no way it could have been part of the site update.

Since no release notes have come out, I think it's safe to assume yesterday's update was either for hardware maintenance or minor under-the-hood software changes.

That's what I thought.

Yeah, an unannounced change to the email system so you can not get the weekly email in straight text. You now can only get the HTML version. yuck.

The most recent weekly newsletter came out the day before this update, so there's no way it could have been part of the site update.

Since no release notes have come out, I think it's safe to assume yesterday's update was either for hardware maintenance or minor under-the-hood software changes.

mine came after the downtime. I thought there might be a connection.

That's what I thought.

mine came after the downtime. I thought there might be a connection.

It's my understanding the weekly newsletter is published on Wednesday. I consistently get mine on Friday. A good guess is that Thursday's downtime was to address the email failure of last weekend.

I'm I missing something somewhere... I have seen changes over the past few months but have seen no new posting letting us know about the changes. Is this posted somewhere else now?

No, GS just sneaks them every few weeks without fanfare. The updates can be done without shutting the site down now. The claim is that it is only infrastructure changes so no announcement is needed.

If you are seeing a mix of colors on the ratings, press shift while refreshing your browser. If you do not see immediate results, repeat the process. If your browser is especially reluctant to release this cached imagery, you may have to do this for more than one set of ratings combinations.

With that, I am closing this thread, as the recent posts have nothing to do with the July 24th release. There are other threads currently underway on topics of recent releases.