Flashlight in Apps

speakez84

yes there are other apps, however it is a pain to leave the app go to the flash light and then go back to the app if you have to check your coordinates or anything. A built in one should work with the app and allow everything to be displayed while the light is on. Being that the geocaching app is a premium app which costs $10 a basic flashlight (which is a necessary tool for most cachers) should be included.

yes there are other apps, however it is a pain to leave the app go to the flash light and then go back to the app if you have to check your coordinates or anything. A built in one should work with the app and allow everything to be displayed while the light is on. Being that the geocaching app is a premium app which costs $10 a basic flashlight (which is a necessary tool for most cachers) should be included.

Not to sound stupid or anything....but....why do you need to use the phone? Buy a small flashlight.

I think almost every goecacher carries a flashlight as basic geocaching gear.

I have this amazing one. Even if my Android is dead it will work. You go to the "app" store-usually Wal-Mart or something like that. You look for something labeled "Flashlight" and but it. You don't need to download anything, you don't even need a phone!! Honestly I think a dollar store flashlight is better than the one one a phone.

I have this amazing one. Even if my Android is dead it will work. You go to the "app" store-usually Wal-Mart or something like that. You look for something labeled "Flashlight" and but it. You don't need to download anything, you don't even need a phone!! Honestly I think a dollar store flashlight is better than the one one a phone.

Not to mention the fact that using one of those flashlight apps will drain your phone's batteries even more quickly than using the GPS function. I have, and use, a flashlight app, but only when I've forgotten to bring along my real flashlight. And a real flashlight, even a small one, gives out about a gazillion times as much light as a flashlight app

--Larry

I need flashlight lamp in Iphone app too!!! Look to GCTools app right top on iphone.

Many times i ask self, why not embedded flash light in Geocaching app?

Many times i ot have light and must switch between geocaching and flashlight app, this is uncomfort ;-(

My idea is:

1) in Menu / Settings implement one Switch: Trackables/Flashlight...

2) in position of Trackables button (bottom right of iphone screen), is now show optional Flashlight buton for users, who need embedded flash light...

Or trackables tab rename to Others and flashlight go to button on this tab...

Thats all and very usefull for all... How you mean?

Edited by 2rekko

+1

Smartphones have their advantages but we're talking about flashlights people blink.gif

I think having the convenience of an in app flashlight would be a big plus. Those that don't want to use it, don't have to. Other flashlight apps turn off when you leave the app and go back to geocaching app. This feature would be a big benefit for those who don't want to carry a lot of gear with them. Just my two cents.

There are already lots of flashlight apps available. The more expensive ones have a red and blue mode. These are the most fun to install on an iPad and stick under your windshield at night.

Careful with this one. If you want to do what I think you are wanting to do.. impersonating an officer is a very very hefty punishment in most places.

Don't do it! Go caching instead..

Shaun

On the iPhone, in the camera application, by going to the video mode and selecting the flash to be on makes a very nice and bright flashlight. It would be nice if there was a button on the interface around the border on all the screens, whether you are navigating to geocache or looking at the details, that let you engage the camera's flashlight. When you switch apps on the iPhone to go to the flashlight, then the GPS shuts off and loses its accuracy. You have to switch back and wait, which then means you lose your light then. It would be nice to have the best of both worlds. I'm assuming that there is a line of coding somewhere that lets you just put the camera's flashlight on and that it is not proprietary to the camera app. Thanks for all you have done Geocaching.com. It is already an excellent app and I know you are committed to making it better.

Peace,

Anthony (Eglio)

Not to sound stupid or anything....but....why do you need to use the phone? Buy a small flashlight.

The iPhone is an MP3 player, calendar, scanner, camera, video camera, word processor, gaming machine, geocaching tool, etc. all in one. Why wouldn't we continue to try and carry less in our pockets?

Peace,

Anthony (Eglio)

If u use separate app, then close compass/map in GS GC app... Not much great :-(

Not necessarily.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Android) and I use an app called Widgetsoid https://play.google....ils?id=com.jim2

It lets me add "toggles" to my notification bar. I've added a toggle that lets me turn on & off the flashlight. I can do this by just pulling down the notification bar and clicking the button on or off, no need to leave the app.

Here is a screenshot I just took. The little lightning bolt is the flashlight button. You can also just barely see the Geocaching app compass running on the screen.

0a0a3d76-0dd4-473d-912f-aa8e4b789f69.png?rnd=0.4572521

The app gives you a ton of different option to customize it. Add/remove toggles, change colors, etc.

Title says it all, it would be very helpful to have access to a flashlight function directly from the iphone and android apps that would turn on the phones flash. (for phones that have one)

+1

I have many flashlights for work/play, but I don't always have one on me. There have been many impromptu cache hunts using my Geocaching app where using my phone's flash as a light while keeping the GC app open would have been useful.

Edited by Pork King

The iPhone is an MP3 player, calendar, scanner, camera, video camera, word processor, gaming machine, geocaching tool, etc. all in one. Why wouldn't we continue to try and carry less in our pockets?

Peace,

Anthony (Eglio)

There are some things that the iPhone does well such as an MP3 player, digital calendar (when linked with an online calendaring system), and possibly as a QR code scanner. However, a dedicated digital camera and digital camcorder can produces photos/movies with a much higher quality. As a gaming machine it pales in comparison to a Wii, PS3, etc. and doesn't even come close to the functionality of a word processor on a desktop or laptop computer. Yes, you *can* use a smartphone for many different things but that doesn't mean that a smartphone is the best tool for the job. To me, having a separate *real* flashlight would be preferable (even if just for the battery life) than a flashlight app.

Peace,

Anthony (Eglio)

I wouldn't use a phone for a flashlight because of battery drain, and I doubt that the brightness of the phone's flash would match a 160 lumen flashlight that I paid about eighteen dollars for. I remember something my grandaddy used to say, "a jack of all trades and master of none". Kind of sounds like your iPhone.

Edited by DonB

I need to add my 2 cents. I desperately want a flashlight option for the app. My phone will not allow the flashlight app to run in the background so I can't run it at the same time as the app.

This means I have the following options:

1) Use a real flashlight. But then I don't have a free hand to search with, press buttons, get a pen out, etc...

2) Switch to the geocaching app, take a reading, switch back to the flashlight app, walk a little way, switch back to the geocaching app etc...

I want to be able to walk to GZ, reading the recent logs / description whilst the ground is lit up so I don't fall over a root. Too much to ask?

I need to add my 2 cents. I desperately want a flashlight option for the app. My phone will not allow the flashlight app to run in the background so I can't run it at the same time as the app.

This means I have the following options:

1) Use a real flashlight. But then I don't have a free hand to search with, press buttons, get a pen out, etc...

2) Switch to the geocaching app, take a reading, switch back to the flashlight app, walk a little way, switch back to the geocaching app etc...

I want to be able to walk to GZ, reading the recent logs / description whilst the ground is lit up so I don't fall over a root. Too much to ask?

Get a headlamp, ten or twelve dollars at Walmart.

Phone app flashlight useless for a reflector down trail 300 feet.

Get a real flashlight

If you are at a point where you are searching for the cache with your free hand, you don't need the phone in your other hand.

Get a real flashlight.

A phone would also be pretty useless to use to breathe underwater for those SCUBA caches :blink:

That doesn't mean there isn't a place for it in one's arsenal.

While it is true a smartphone flashlight app is no match for a Surefire Centurion C3 (which is awesome), I have been in an area at night when I suddenly felt the urge to go caching. A search pulled up a few easy caches nearby, so I set off. Not planning on caching before I left the house, I had no tools with me. My iPhone flash helped me find the cache.

I don't think anyone is saying that one should rely solely on a phone's light to cache, but having one build into the app would have it's uses.