Typing Coordinates

Alpanama

I never understand why people tell new cachers not to use the degree symbol when they want to. Even if the site doesn't require it, it's simple enough. Hold down Alt any type 0176 on your number pad (not the row of numbers above the letters.)

There should be no need to. I'm leaning towards the OP wanting to put parking coordinates as text in the cache description, all while they could be added as part of the more complex "add a waypoint" feature, and show up in downloads to GPS units, and on the smartphone apps. I could be wrong about their intentions though. Even if their intention is "a cool view" or "an interesting object", that should be an additional waypoint, for which there is no reason to know how to type a degree symbol.

There should be no need to. I'm leaning towards the OP wanting to put parking coordinates as text in the cache description, all while they could be added as part of the more complex "add a waypoint" feature, and show up in downloads to GPS units, and on the smartphone apps. I could be wrong about their intentions though. Even if their intention is "a cool view" or "an interesting object", that should be an additional waypoint, for which there is no reason to know how to type a degree symbol.

Does it matter? The OP wanted to know how to, even if the site accepts coordinates without the symbol. I've always entered them with the symbol, since it always takes several tries before the system accepts my coordinates no matter how many times I check the formatting and leaving the symbol out would give it one more thing to complain about.

And for the record, on a Mac, the degree symbol is Option-Shift-8. And it's also available in the built-in Show Character Viewer function.

And if there's a degree symbol on the screen (in the coordinate format examples, for example), then you could also copy-paste the symbol.

I've always entered them with the symbol, since it always takes several tries before the system accepts my coordinates no matter how many times I check the formatting and leaving the symbol out would give it one more thing to complain about.

mmm, I have zero trouble with coordinate entry on the forms here - old form, new form, additional waypoints. Re "entered them with the symbol" - don't, per Starbrand's post. Just use the numbers.

If you're using Firefox plus Greasemonkey scripts, you may not need to ever manually type coords into boxes on Geocaching.com.

Load waypoints from your GPS into whatever software you use, there control+C copy the coords, and then enter them from the clipboard into the forms using Prime's quick waypoint entry.

Locus Prime landing page for user scripts http://gmscripts.locusprime.net/

Quick Waypoint Entry http://gmscripts.locusprime.net/Quick_Waypoint_Entry.html ...Still performs coordinate paste-in function.

I never understand why people tell new cachers not to use the degree symbol when they want to. Even if the site doesn't require it, it's simple enough. Hold down Alt and type 0176 on your number pad (not the row of numbers above the letters.)

My laptop doesn't have a number pad. There are a lot of laptops out there, might be a good reason to let people know they don't have to use the degree symbol.

I never understand why people tell new cachers not to use the degree symbol when they want to. Even if the site doesn't require it, it's simple enough. Hold down Alt and type 0176 on your number pad (not the row of numbers above the letters.)

I figure it is because the new submit form only has examples that show the degree symbol - it isn't that they "want" to - it is that they are under the mistaken impression that they HAVE to.