Galaxy III GPS

KWBDKB

I just got a Samsung Galaxy III smart phone which replaced my Droid X. The GPS is not very accurate and from what I can tell it is 50-75 feet off. This is much worse than the Droid X. Does anyone know if there is a way to calibrate or should I break down and buy a handheld GPS? Any recommendations?

Try googling this, I had similar problems with my S1 when I first got it. I found several sites which gave a solution involving entering in to the gps set up menu and changing the configuration settings. If you google 'Galaxy S3 GPS issues' you will find several threads with similar suggestions although these are saying they can't get a lock on position at all, so you are ahead of the game on that front.

I don't know why but it seems Samsung don't want people to be able to use there newest phones for navigation. They seem to have the configuration all wrong. I think this is an issue for a lot of their phones.

Once I had done the changes suggested it pretty much works all the time, the times it doesn't, although frustrating, are too few to make me want to shell out on a GPS for my caching at the moment.

Also have you tried the GPS Status app, that also helped. I am no way technically minded so I have no idea why either of these solutions worked.

Try googling this, I had similar problems with my S1 when I first got it. I found several sites which gave a solution involving entering in to the gps set up menu and changing the configuration settings. If you google 'Galaxy S3 GPS issues' you will find several threads with similar suggestions although these are saying they can't get a lock on position at all, so you are ahead of the game on that front.

I don't know why but it seems Samsung don't want people to be able to use there newest phones for navigation. They seem to have the configuration all wrong. I think this is an issue for a lot of their phones.

Once I had done the changes suggested it pretty much works all the time, the times it doesn't, although frustrating, are too few to make me want to shell out on a GPS for my caching at the moment.

Also have you tried the GPS Status app, that also helped. I am no way technically minded so I have no idea why either of these solutions worked.