Logging find without signing logbook

I can only assume the cachers concerned collect pencil stubs, or had forgotten their pen(cil) so took mine for the next cache...

Either this or the pen simply drops out when opening the cache - this has happened to me more than once. However, I was able find them every time, once I luckily grabbed the pen before falling into the water (me & the pen), hanging halfway from the tree the cache was tied to. :)

But I usually carry a pen on my own (always in my pocket) and some spare ones in my GC equipment, so I could replace if it was my fault they got lost.

Maybe consider fixing the pen to the cache by a string with some tape. I used a chain from a travel bug to secure the sharpener I provide in my own cache.

Just recently I have read an increasing number of logs where the cacher has claimed a find and then said that they couldn't sign the log as they had no pen.

The essence of caching is that the only proof of a find is that the log is signed. The whole point is lost if this is allowed.

What do other cachers think? Do you delete a find if the logbook has not been signed?

You mean you have time to check a log against those who claim to have found it? I am retired and need all the time left to complete my bucket list, not worry about those who claim to have "found it".

Just recently I have read an increasing number of logs where the cacher has claimed a find and then said that they couldn't sign the log as they had no pen.

The essence of caching is that the only proof of a find is that the log is signed. The whole point is lost if this is allowed.

What do other cachers think? Do you delete a find if the logbook has not been signed?

You mean you have time to check a log against those who claim to have found it? I am retired and need all the time left to complete my bucket list, not worry about those who claim to have "found it".

I don't think that walkergeoff said that he 'checks logs against those who claim to have found it'. He said that he had read logs where cachers claimed the find but couldn't sign the log because there was no pen.

Not been on the forums for a while. I have two rare virtual caches which were put out many many years ago. One of the stipulations I put on is for the finder to email me answers from the cache site. This is part of the enjoyment of the cache. I'm sorry to say that I am a bit precious about these caches and some cachers try to guess, and it's obvious they weren't there. If they don't email me the answers, I email them, and if no correct answers, I will delete the log. I have only had to do this twice in the 8 years they have been out.

This makes me think of a virtual I did on a visit to Washington DC. It was on a war memorial and asked for three words. The text said not to guess, you either found it or you didn't and if you didn't find it there's no way you'll guess it. I was tempted to take a guess anyway having explored the memorial and not found it, but then spotted the crucial element, and agreed there was no way I'd have guessed without finding it.