Geocaching Bug Etrex 10

RobCharles1981

I've downloaded 4 Geocaches to my GPS 4 in total and when I power back on my GPS and check my Geoaches only 2 are shown why is this?

I had this trouble with my Etrex 20 once. I found that if i re-inserted the USB lead and turn it on, then the "missing" came back. The only explanation i thought of was taking out the lead incorrectly rather than doing the "safely remove hardware" icon.

Still having the problem.....

I've emailed garmin support and this is what they have suggested:

Thanks for your reply. If you try to spell by name are you able to locate the two geocaches that arent displayed in your list of caches. The unit will be listing the caches that are within a certain distance of your current location....

Edited by RobCharles1981

Still having the problem.....

I've emailed garmin support and this is what they have suggested:

Thanks for your reply. If you try to spell by name are you able to locate the two geocaches that arent displayed in your list of caches. The unit will be listing the caches that are within a certain distance of your current location....

Sounds like good advice - the unit by default only show "nearby" caches in the list and not all caches - however - if you search alphabetically - it will show all loaded caches no matter the distance from your current location.

Sounds like good advice - the unit by default only show "nearby" caches in the list and not all caches - however - if you search alphabetically - it will show all loaded caches no matter the distance from your current location.

Ile see how this unfolds but I never knew this - I thought it would load the caches in and go into the menu and boom! :)

I don't believe it limits the caches displayed by distance. I have caches in my etrex 30 that are .1 mile away and others are 150 miles away. It lists them in order of distance, and may limit the total number of caches displayed. So if a person had a few hundred caches downloaded, it might only list the closest 100. I don't know if there is a number of caches displayed limit or not, but our Nuvi's only show the 50 closest waypoints, so it's not inconceivable that Garmin might put a similar limit in the handhelds. Since the OP said he downloaded 4 caches, I'm assuming that he only has a total of 4 in there.

What sounds more likely to me is that he might have accidently marked two of them as Found. I assume the 10 is a very similar OS to the 30. The etrex 30 only displays 'not found' caches. If the OP had mistakenly marked any of the caches as Found, they will no longer display in the cache list. With the cache list displayed, we can change the filtering by selecting the menu button and selecting "Show Found". Then it will show only the found caches. Once they are marked as found, there is no easy way to "un-find" them. I did this by accident in BaseCamp and could not find a way to put a cache back to 'not found' status that I had marked by accident.

I would advise the OP to check for "Show Found" caches on his etrex as well as to check his Waypoints list. He may be looking for waypoints, and they are listed in a different area.

What sounds more likely to me is that he might have accidently marked two of them as Found. I assume the 10 is a very similar OS to the 30. The etrex 30 only displays 'not found' caches. If the OP had mistakenly marked any of the caches as Found, they will no longer display in the cache list. With the cache list displayed, we can change the filtering by selecting the menu button and selecting "Show Found". Then it will show only the found caches. Once they are marked as found, there is no easy way to "un-find" them. I did this by accident in BaseCamp and could not find a way to put a cache back to 'not found' status that I had marked by accident.

I would advise the OP to check for "Show Found" caches on his etrex as well as to check his Waypoints list. He may be looking for waypoints, and they are listed in a different area.

Now that is spooky! The other Cache for some reason was in the found section! :huh: This I can't explain because I deleted the GPX files from the Device via Windows and Re-Downloaded the files, now I'm seeing 3 Caches in the Geocaching Section and the other in the "found" list how can I delete that one in order to get it properly listed?

I have had that same issue myself. In the Garmin folder on your Etrex are two files that list your Found geocaches. Look for "geocache_visits.txt" as well as the XML version of the same file. Delete them, or if you want to be really careful about it, just delete the entry for your incorrect 'found' cache(s) and resave the file. Then delete the cache and download it again. It will now be listed with the 'not found' caches.

Now that is spooky! The other Cache for some reason was in the found section! :huh: This I can't explain because I deleted the GPX files from the Device via Windows and Re-Downloaded the files, now I'm seeing 3 Caches in the Geocaching Section and the other in the "found" list how can I delete that one in order to get it properly listed?

I have had that same issue myself. In the Garmin folder on your Etrex are two files that list your Found geocaches. Look for "geocache_visits.txt" as well as the XML version of the same file. Delete them, or if you want to be really careful about it, just delete the entry for your incorrect 'found' cache(s) and resave the file. Then delete the cache and download it again. It will now be listed with the 'not found' caches.

Many Thanks for that Ile look into it it's something I feel Garmin should take care off in a software update.

Many Thanks for that Ile look into it it's something I feel Garmin should take care off in a software update.

Why? It's doing this by design. If you load in a pocket query file containing both found and unfound caches, the GPS can use the contents of the "geocache_visits.txt" file to correctly flag the finds as finds. Without this, caches you've already found would show up as unfound.

I have the same problem now with my eTrex 30. Yesterday morning we had at least 150 caches to go look for then in the space of 30 seconds we had none. Not one cache shows up but when we tried to install a pocket query we got the message that all those caches were already there. If we search the unit they show as being there yet nothing shows up when we go look for them by name. We had a pocket query for caches in the area we were visiting but the only ones that showed up were 700 km away.