New Cache

Whats the longest running time a new cache has not been found at all?

Is there known new cache today on the books that has not been found?

The reson for this (just to give u an example) I have a new cache that just got published and it hasnt been found yet, 4days and running. Now, I think it's due the weather and other some factors. And this got me thinking. Is there a cache out there that has not been found yet or what was the longest day it went before being found? Thanks

Longest unfound cache is about ten years and running. Rainbow Hydrothermal Vents. It might be the weather or it might be the closed gates and guard house that you need to go past might also be a fact

Wow!!!! 10ys uh. Sounds like its on private property.

Ok now that's extreme. I thought when I started this post there would be none that has not been found but this this was wack. Ok is there, let's says a MORE common cache that has not been found

Edited by GonCachin'

This week's Latitude 47 highlights the FTF on Belterra GC3DF7. Cool story about this cache - it was hidden February 26, 2002, and the FTF was logged on January 11, 2012!

Obviously not the norm, but a very neat story. The original CO is still caching, too.

Edited by steben6

This week's Latitude 47 highlights the FTF on Belterra GC3DF7. Cool story about this cache - it was hidden February 26, 2002, and the FTF was logged on January 11, 2012!

Obviously not the norm, but a very neat story. The original CO is still caching, too.

Wow! This beats the previous record ... (and puts me out of the podium :ph34r: :ph34r:)

Belterra

GC3DF7 - 9y 10m 16d

11/01/2012

26/02/2002

Oh so blue

GC15D - 7y 9m 24d

25/03/2009

01/06/2001

Nichols Knob

GCG3HJ - 6y 6m 5d

25/10/2009

20/04/2003

La Maladeta

GCP17H - 6y 0m 23d

15/06/2011

23/05/2005

:blink:

Edited by DeepButi

Longest unfound cache is about ten years and running. Rainbow Hydrothermal Vents. It might be the weather or it might be the closed gates and guard house that you need to go past might also be a factor.

I must correct you. :) As far as I know, the oldest unfound cache (and there's a note from a cacher on the cache page stating it is). is 4.5 Lb. Walleye in Northern Ontario, Canada.

Insert the jokes I make about it every time that it should be be called 2.04 Kg. Walleye, because it's in Canada, and that "Connie" is never going to follow through on her threat to find the cache. :laughing:

Is it just me or does the log sound like a throw down?

I thought the same thing. Apparently the person that found expected that the cache might be gone/destroyed because they brought along a replacement container. I wonder why the "is this box I found the cache" photo that was posted is taken from such a distance that you can't even see what the person is holding. However, at least the CO is still active and seems to have accepted the "photo evidence" as a find.

The WINNER IS GCDFB 4.5 lb Walleye for the longest,oldest unfounded cache.

Wow that was all great to know! I had no idea it would turn out like this!

Kougarok was published the same day (what are the odds on that?) and is also still unfound...

From looking at the logs it appears that the original placement has never been found but at least a couple of people have made it to ground zero and replacement caches have been put at the location (and those that did it, did not log finds).

From looking at the logs of 4.5 lb Walleye it doesn't look like anyone has ever made it to Ground zero to actually search for the original placement.

Kougarok was published the same day (what are the odds on that?) and is also still unfound...

From looking at the logs it appears that the original placement has never been found but at least a couple of people have made it to ground zero and replacement caches have been put at the location (and those that did it, did not log finds).

From looking at the logs of 4.5 lb Walleye it doesn't look like anyone has ever made it to Ground zero to actually search for the original placement.

Yes, that's a throw-down. We don't know if the owner gave prior permission, but it doesn't sound like it. He did however "accept it", and update the coordinates. If anyone has clicked on the 4.5 lb Walleye cache link, you see the last note poster is contemplating throwing down, although they seem to be seeking owner approval. It happens with these older, never found caches.

P.S. anyone remember the "Oh so Blue" controversy in Belize? That cache went about 8 years before being found. It wasn't a throw down, but the owner mailed a new cache to the remote Island Hotel, after it was found the original caretaker died, and no one knew where the cache was (and was most likely thrown out in the garbage). That was '09 I believe. Vinny was still active around here, he started the thread.

I can vaguely remember that being brought up in past threads on this subject, but when I first posted here, I was not aware of a "tie". Yep, same date placed. I defintely think 4.5 lb Walleye is more known, as it appears on almost twice as many bookmark lists.

And consistent with my last post ^^^^^^^^^ someone did in fact leave a throwdown at Kougarok, although they posted a DNF, and not a find. :)

I thought the same thing. Apparently the person that found expected that the cache might be gone/destroyed because they brought along a replacement container. I wonder why the "is this box I found the cache" photo that was posted is taken from such a distance that you can't even see what the person is holding. However, at least the CO is still active and seems to have accepted the "photo evidence" as a find.

Basic rule of traditionals: the log must be signed, this is not a virtual. I'm surprised that GS is featuring this (non)find on their blog as the (non)finder never met the logging requirements and his log should be deleted.

Basic rule of traditionals: the log must be signed, this is not a virtual. I'm surprised that GS is featuring this (non)find on their blog as the (non)finder never met the logging requirements and his log should be deleted.

What does it matter? The CO accepted the find. I just don't get why anybody spends any time fretting over what other people do or do not do in this game. As long as nobody gets hurt, everybody can play however they want that brings them enjoyment. There are no prizes at the end and it is just a game. Just enjoy it however you want and let others do the same.

On the subject of throwdowns, here's a throwdown (after 7 years!) that was claimed as a find.

http://coord.info/GCNTZJ

Seven years isn't unusual in that corner of Guatemala.

That is quite unfortunate. But I think it's becoming pretty obvious that people are going to throw down at long unfound caches, and claim a find. Especially in cases where it's a very remote cache, and the seeker may be the first person to even get to the cache site. That's not the case here, looks like touristy Mayan Ruins. Speaking of which, I'm sort of a Mayan ruin fan. I had not heard of that site. Zaculeu, eh? Looks pretty cool. Very open, not surrounded by Jungle.

What does it matter? The CO accepted the find. I just don't get why anybody spends any time fretting over what other people do or do not do in this game. As long as nobody gets hurt, everybody can play however they want that brings them enjoyment. There are no prizes at the end and it is just a game. Just enjoy it however you want and let others do the same.

Well there have been dozens of other threads just this year where someone could drop by with the 'ol "everyone plays their own way" lecture. :lol: If there's any one "play their own way" abnormality that is almost universally frowned upon, it would be throw-down caches. Even Toz is against that. Or is he? B)

Edit to insert quote before my first paragraph.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

So your for armchair logging then?

Do you cheat at solitaire too?

yes it does "matter". If every cache was replace by the finder, it will become a virtual. Turning a Traditional Cache into a Virtual is a big no no. I view those never been found caches as virtual if the cache cant be found and the CO is history or live too far to maintenance it. A throw down on those super old caches is turning it into a virtual as far I am concern. The next person some five or ten years later cant find the throw down, so he/she will put another throw down and you see the pattern from there. Its a virtual if you do that.

That's a big stretch. I don't armchair log and I don't cheat. And the forums are not the place for personal attacks or rude comments.

I hope the moderator steps in before it goes any further.

I dont see any personal attacks or rude comments. People here have the right to voice their opinion, if you cant handle it, I am sorry.