going barefoot?

Do I like being barefoot? Sure! I think almost everyone does.

Would I go geocaching barefoot? No.

Is there a right answer? No.

If you enjoy it and are careful, I guess it could be kinda nice. For me, there are just too many hurtful prickers on the ground. No matter how careful, I would miss seeing one, and I think the pain of it would sour the experience for the rest of the day.

For me, I think I'll limit it to the grass on my lawn or at a park, or the sand at the beach. : )

But for those who enjoy it, please go ahead!

Edited by knowltonGeo

did I tell you a story from Miami beach last summer ?

it is VERY normal to walk barefoot on a nice sandy beach,

but this womman next to us, was very scared, yelling crying,

when she walked on a needle still attached to a used injection pump

it was red and dirty inside, real gross,

her boyfriend had to pull it out of her foot.

they found a bootle and put it in, for later lab inspection,

I think salt water and direct sunlight and very hight temperatures

will kill most nasty stuff very fast. I really hope she was ok.

I am sure she newer walk barefoot on the beach again.

I think it would be cool but I'm sticking with shoes/boots. I'm sure my feet could handle it, they're pretty calloused from years of playing outside barefoot as a kid and also walking to the mailbox barefoot along gravel/paved driveways.

I'm sticking with shoes because I've seen so much broken glass along trails, especially primitive trails with plenty of leaf cover that I would be too anxious of puncturing my feet. I understand that keeping a watchful eye is the easy way to avoid hazards but my hikes would be slowed down tremendously.

Maybe if I see a nice patch of moss I'll remove my shoes and get a feel for nature's carpet ;)

The problem with keeping a watchful eye is that you can miss some of the other natural beauty that you are walking through. Also, I have found that asphalt pathes are fairly good because it is quite easy to see what you are going to step on.

That's a big one that I failed to mention. I feel like I spend a little too much time watching my footing as it is, and that's while wearing hiking boots or shoes!

Around here, we have nasty little things called goatheads. Took a few steps into a patch the other day with rubber soled hiking shoes and in 5 steps had about 50 in each one. Many a bike has ended up with flat tires by riding over them. You would not want to go barefoot with those around.

I was out a couple of weeks ago and in just a minute of two the bottom of my boots looked and felt like they were clad in a sheet of wood. It took me over 20 mins of working with my knife to get them all out they were embedded so deep.

I've been barefoot as much as possible most of my life (including working barefoot for the last 20 years), so it's second nature for me to go caching barefoot too. Out of my 670 finds, I've only donned shoes for one of them, as it involved standing on rocks covered by razor-sharp oyster shells to reach it. Pretty much everything else is fine with me, although sandstone and leaf-litter covered dirt trails are my favourite surfaces.

I recently did some caching on a visit Lord Howe Island where most of the locals are barefoot so being a barefoot cacher fitted in nicely!

6a8658a3-b636-4d30-a368-4e6735453e04.jpg

At the risk of earning my nickname...

I hate going barefoot...even in my own yard. I hate flip flops. I hate the feel of sand or mud on my feet. I also don't trust anyone that wears flip flops exclusively. :ph34r:

That is unfortuinate, but certainly your choice. I have been a Barefoot person my whole life and attribute my strong and healthy feet to it. I have no corns,bunions or any other foot problems. I have cached many, many times Barefoot and enjoy feeling the earth under my toes and soles. The feeling of a moss covered trail is like no other on your toes and soles. To each his own and their own opinions. :rolleyes:

I'm glad this thread popped back up. LOVE being barefoot and LOVE caching while barefoot! I've got a few photos in my gallery that highlight my adventures...

6473399b-3e8a-48ea-837d-392b41f42bf5.jpg

4006f834-c3a2-4438-b3eb-3d43cd90f10b.jpg

9eec9b5f-9acf-4936-9842-c117fc08e030.jpg

af096e44-d112-4731-bf9e-2eac4ab84b8d.jpg

In the end, do what you enjoy and hike your own hike. Barefootin' isn't for everyone but it's fun for me. It adds a whole new level to the hunt!

Geez... I didn't realize there were that many photos of my barefoot caching adventures until I went looking! It was a nice stroll down memory lane.

Yes, likewise looking through my gallery shows some memorable barefoot adventures geocaching has led me on over the past four years, most recently a two-hour hike out to Spion Kop overlooking Woy Woy Bay, Umina (where I live) and the ocean beyond, where I'm planning to put a cache if National Parks approves it.

SpionKop.jpg

And here are some more!

08f61b7b-974b-448e-afce-2f953b39e6e4.jpg

5eccca2c-0540-41c9-90ce-e15a95de7a9f.jpg

eb7bbf7c-2e07-460d-b1ca-4542949bfbf0.jpg

693023e2-e0af-47cd-8a9d-ba6425107973.jpg

1e63a1f5-a390-463d-a9a5-1379fbbe852f.jpg

5ab102b7-774b-4423-b72f-f58f0492c6f4.jpg

b530963f-3329-4bb7-858e-dbef160adbc6.jpg

Geez... I didn't realize there were that many photos of my barefoot caching adventures until I went looking! It was a nice stroll down memory lane.

Good for you I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this pleasure.

"With the shoes off, the world is no longer a sight, separated from you

By rubber soles. It is a living, breathing thing beneath your toes."

Yes, likewise looking through my gallery shows some memorable barefoot adventures geocaching has led me on over the past four years, most recently a two-hour hike out to Spion Kop overlooking Woy Woy Bay, Umina (where I live) and the ocean beyond, where I'm planning to put a cache if National Parks approves it.

SpionKop.jpg

"With the shoes off, the world is no longer a sight, separated from you

By rubber soles. It is a living, breathing thing beneath your toes."

I'd like to be barefoot more. But it takes a while to get your feet used to walking without blisters, etc. and I just haven't had that sort of patience.

I do wear very minimalist "glove" shoes, and can feel most everything under my feet.

I go barefoot when I can, most noticeably at church. I can't stand shoes that are more structured so I'll just take them off and walk around barefoot. I get some odd looks and people glancing down at my feet. :laughing: I also have a pair of soft leather toe shoes that I'll wear at church. They're only for inside use. They look like driving gloves for my feet. ;)

I'd like to be barefoot more. But it takes a while to get your feet used to walking without blisters, etc. and I just haven't had that sort of patience.

I do wear very minimalist "glove" shoes, and can feel most everything under my feet.

I go barefoot when I can, most noticeably at church. I can't stand shoes that are more structured so I'll just take them off and walk around barefoot. I get some odd looks and people glancing down at my feet. :laughing: I also have a pair of soft leather toe shoes that I'll wear at church. They're only for inside use. They look like driving gloves for my feet. ;)

Really you get blisters from walking barefoot? I find it hard to believe that the grass,dirt and other natural surfaces can rub you blisters? For sure shoes will give you blisters from rubbing not sure I understand. You should give your barefeet a chance to enjoy the earth under your toes and soles. Try starting out easy just a short time and build your way up.Just my take on it after a lifetime of going barefoot.

Really you get blisters from walking barefoot? I find it hard to believe that the grass,dirt and other natural surfaces can rub you blisters? For sure shoes will give you blisters from rubbing not sure I understand. You should give your barefeet a chance to enjoy the earth under your toes and soles. Try starting out easy just a short time and build your way up.Just my take on it after a lifetime of going barefoot.

No, one year I unfortunately tried taking a barefoot walk on our waterfront trail, and it's paved. I should have stayed on the grass (afraid of dog poop though!).

But really, when you have lily soft feet, any little rock or prickly plant is no fun, and it takes time and patience to toughen up feet.

Edited by Ambrosia