What's the best way to retro-bug dip in bulk?

Anonymike7

So I've decided I want to know just how many miles I've traveled in my adventures, and I figure the best way to do that is to assign a trackable to the task. The problem is, I'm thisclose to my 500th find and really don't want to manually retro-dip the trackable in all of those caches. Is there a helper app or some other solution available that will let me do it more easily?

So I've decided I want to know just how many miles I've traveled in my adventures, and I figure the best way to do that is to assign a trackable to the task. The problem is, I'm thisclose to my 500th find and really don't want to manually retro-dip the trackable in all of those caches. Is there a helper app or some other solution available that will let me do it more easily?

I don't know if there's an app for that or not. (I barely know what an app is.)

If there isn't, then how about dipping it in just the major milestone caches? (1st, 50th, 100th, 200th, 300th, 400th and 500th.) Only 7 caches, and that shouldn't take long.

B.

GSAK 8 has a macro that will dip the bug through all of your found caches in the order that you logged your finds. It is very unobtrusive as it simply puts logs on your bug's page but does not leave logs on the individual cache pages.

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=20310&st=0entry167633

Fantastic! I think that's exactly what I was looking for. I'll take a look later today. Thanks!

GSAK 8 has a macro that will dip the bug through all of your found caches in the order that you logged your finds. It is very unobtrusive as it simply puts logs on your bug's page but does not leave logs on the individual cache pages.

DANG! :(

I wish I had seen that two or three years ago when I was MANUALLY doing this through thousands of caches.

A lot of that was before the 'Visited' option, too.

Kids have it so easy these days...

DANG! :(

I wish I had seen that two or three years ago when I was MANUALLY doing this through thousands of caches.

A lot of that was before the 'Visited' option, too.

Kids have it so easy these days...

It wasn't possible until Groundspeak opened up the api. What is neat is that the cache owner doesn't get any emails and there are no logs on the cache pages. I remember when our, (at the time), local FTF hound got him his very own FTF coin. He went and added notes to check the coin through all of his FTF caches. It seems that he FTFed about 60 of my caches because that's how many emails I had to delete.

Hadn't heard of this. Does this macro work on locked caches?

I can't answer that but if I had to guess, I'd say, probably not. I'd be surprised if the macro author even considered it, so it could very well crash the macro. The good thing about the guys on the GSAK forum is if it happened and you let him know, he'd fix it within hours. There is a discussion thread linked to the first post of the link I provided, so if you try it and it crashes, just drop a note in the thread.

If by "locked", you mean archived, then yes it does.

I installed the macro last night and ran it on a "My Finds" PQ. It picked up and logged on the geocoin, all of the caches we've found, including the ones that are archived. Shows We've traveled 9216 miles! :o Let's see ... at an average price of gas at around $110 a liter that would be ....... no .. never mind, not gonna go there! We've been having too much fun to worry about that! :lol:

Now I just have to figure out how to set the filter in gsak so it will never double log the geocoin on future runs to update it's mileage. There's a caution about that near the start of the macro page, but I just haven't taken the time to figure it out yet.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

Interesting.

Archived does not equal locked -- I can log a note to an archived cache but I cannot add one to any of the three in the previous post that were indicated as locked.

I can't run the DipTB macro against those locked caches to test because I don't have a find on them -- the macro only works on caches you have already found.

I can't find a way to tell if an archived cache is locked or not, using GSAK.

I don't have the patience to go through each of my archived finds to see if any of them are locked or not; I tried a couple that I thought might be locked (events and the Adventure Maze) but no luck there.

Can someone else who uses GSAK and has a known-to-be-locked cache in their finds run this test?

By "locked" I mean archived and locked.

If anyone's logged any of the more infamous couch caches (e.g., Four Windows) or any locationless caches, thay'd be archived and locked, too.

If anyone's logged any of the more infamous couch caches (e.g., Four Windows) or any locationless caches, thay'd be archived and locked, too.

Okay, the answer to the question about locked caches is YES!

I loaded one of the caches that was mentioned, used another macro to create a fake found log, and then ran the dipTb macro. I now have a new log on my coin that says that it traveled to Germany today and the coin is listed in the cache's trackable history.

I loaded one of the caches that was mentioned, used another macro to create a fake found log, and then ran the dipTb macro. I now have a new log on my coin that says that it traveled to Germany today and the coin is listed in the cache's trackable history.

Now you've done it! :o

There is a macro that can be used to create 'fake' logs on locked caches?

WHERE! Which one? :unsure:

Thanks for doing the needful. :)

I know there were a few locked caches (physical caches I actually visited and found) I couldn't log my coin through due to being locked, but I'll be darned if I can remember which ones they were. I doubt they would make a huge difference in the mileage. Still (in the interest of accuracy), it was annoying that I couldn't even log a note.

One potential issue I noticed is that the macro creates logs on caches found by date, and I know for a fact that GSAK does NOT order correctly within a particular day's finds. Maybe a big deal, or maybe not depending on how you cache.

Now you've done it! :o

There is a macro that can be used to create 'fake' logs on locked caches?

WHERE! Which one? :unsure:

Thanks for doing the needful. :)

I know there were a few locked caches (physical caches I actually visited and found) I couldn't log my coin through due to being locked, but I'll be darned if I can remember which ones they were. I doubt they would make a huge difference in the mileage. Still (in the interest of accuracy), it was annoying that I couldn't even log a note.

One potential issue I noticed is that the macro creates logs on caches found by date, and I know for a fact that GSAK does NOT order correctly within a particular day's finds. Maybe a big deal, or maybe not depending on how you cache.

By fake log, I meant in GSAK only. It does not create any logs on the GC website. I know from reading the GSAK forums that if you try to use the api to publish a new log to a locked cache, it will fail. I know of no backdoor way to log a "found it" on a locked cache. The CreateALog macro's original purpose is for people who create entries for benchmarks that they have found so they can then add a found log to them. As far as the dipTB macro, it did not create a log on the locked cache. It did add my coin to the caches trackable history, however, and it did add the mileage to my coin, so I guess there is a possibility for abuse. Apply the cheating at solitaire analogy. I did delete the entry on my coin after my experiment. I saw no need to triple it's mileage.

For some reason, GSAK does not always display in proper order, caches logged on the same day. The macro for back dipping your trackables uses a different method to make sure that it is correctly ordered.

[edit: for content]

Edited by Don_J

Alright, so I've downloaded GSAK and the macro, but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I have no idea how to set filters, waypoints, etc. Can someone help walk me through this?

I would urge anyone that is interested to read the GSAK forum topic that I linked and the other topics that are linked within it, as well as the GSAK help file. It can be a rather steep learning curve if you are very new to the program.

I appreciate our moderator's patience as I think that we are probably straying away from the purpose of this forum, and I really don't want to get in a position where I am offering individual help here, when there is a very robust support forum dedicated to the program.

Look on the GSAK Help menu/GSAK Support Forum.