I need a GPS, mine was stolen...

I can't afford a new GPS at this time. Mine was stolen in October. icon_mad.gif Does anyone have a WAAS GPS any brand or style that can go for real cheap or free. I'm not picky, but I can't stand not having one to use.

When I buy a new one, I promise to pass the favor on to somebody else to get them started in geocaching. I will not resell it for a profit.

Shooting in the dark, but if I never ask...

Thanks a million,

Brent Worls brent@worls dot com

BRWGL 1800,

I am sorry I can't help you, but I can identify. My GPS was stolen from the top of my desk at HOME, when I was on a trip out of state.

I was going to say there is a serial number that was registered probably, when you bought your unit and set it up. If you "report it stolen" to the manufacturer, you may save yourself from worries that if it will be misused, you will be at fault.

I'll ask anyone else out there in chat's ville if they know of the proper approach to take when one loses their GPS device to a thief?

I, too, am interested in replacing mine, but must wait until I can afford it. Good luck!

eSavvyOne.com

Thanks, County Mounty. I appreciate the help. Now if you happen to see an Orange 2002 Goldwing going too fast, you'll know why. So please cut them a break.

I just wish I could afford to replace the GPS. Maybe the lil' wife could buy a Garmin 176 for my b-day....

Later,

Brent

Sorry about your misfortune.

I have a new Garmin Etrex. I used it for about an hour and decided I liked my Magellan 315 better.

Make me an offer. It has the package, the booklets and the momentarily used Etrex.

I accept PayPal or MO. Your choice...again. Make me an offer. I know they are selling new now from around $95.00 to $144.00.

Thanks,

search4it@onewest.net

My Meridian Platinum was stolen on the 4th of July. While we were watching the fireworks, someone lifted my belt pack with GPS, PDA and keys from the picnic table. Thankfully, they lifted the GPS (in the pocket were one might expect a wallet) and ditched the rest, which was recovered by a good citizen and returned to me the next day.

I am now shopping around for the best price on a replacement Magellan Meridian Platinum. The best price I've come up wth so far is $250 from Compuplus.com.

89355_500.gif

If only there were some way to locate a missing GPSr... some sort of device that could point you in it's direction and tell you how far away you are. icon_smile.gif

I have a new Garmin eTrex Vista, and noticed that on the main page there is an option to input personal information. When turned on this is shown on the screen as "This unit belongs to: Please return to:" info. I decided to only put my cell phone and email address and nothing more personal - just in case, but it's a good idea if you have this option in your unit to go ahead and fill it in.

A thief won't bother to return it just because that information is there, but it's good if you lose your unit (and maybe assume it's been stolen) and an honest person finds it. That, of course, assumes they're able to figure out how to turn it on. Not something that's obvious to the casual observer on the Garmins that I've seen.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those that can count, and those that cannot.

I had my Magellan GPS 310 stolen on Halloween of 2000 out of the glove box of my car. You cannot believe how utterly devastated I was to discover it missing. I only had it for 3 months. I wish there was a way to 'track' the person who stole it. Would have love to hone in on the culprit. It always un-nerved me as well to think that someone out there knew where I lived, worked, what places I went to, placed I ate at, etc, right down to the foot. For days I was looking out my window to see if anyone was driving slow around my apartment with a GPS on their dash. Has anyone had such experiences when their GPS’s were stolen? I have since bought a Garmin III Plus and it never leaves my sight.

Wish I had an extra one to sell to you. Heck, I know your plight so well I would have simply given it to you. Best of luck…

quote:
Originally posted by Kordite:

I am now shopping around for the best price on a replacement Magellan Meridian Platinum. The best price I've come up wth so far is $250 from Compuplus.com.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/89355_500.gif

I have been checking prices on a Platinum, best deal I have found is $249 at shopharmony.com $219 if you want a refurbished one.

Now if only I could convince my wife I need to upgrade icon_smile.gif

RW Da Man!!!

CHS#1