Visiting Spain

Love

I'll be attending Geocoinfest in Portugal and before and after the event I'll be visiting different parts of Spain. I'll have limited time, but just wondering if there are recommendations on geocaches that I should not miss in Barcelona and the Algeciras/Tarifa area?

I'll be staying downtown in Barcelona, so exploring the city on foot (though I'll likely take public transportation to visit Camp Nou). So caches within walking distance of the main attractions are best. In Algeciras and Tarifa, I'll have access to a car so will have more flexibility. Any tips on anything else I should see are welcome as well! I can't wait for the trip and to log some caches in new countries!

I insert a Spanish translation ...

Voy a asistir al Geocoinfest en Portugal pero antes y después del evento pienso visitar diferentes lugares en España. Tendré un tiempo limitado, pero agradecería recomendaciones sobre geocachés que no debo dejar de visitar en Barcelona y el área de Algeciras / Tarifa.

Andaré por el centro de Barcelona, así que exploraré la ciudad a pie (aunque seguramente tome el transporte público para visitar el Camp Nou). Así cachés, a poca distancia de los principales atractivos son los mejores. En Algeciras y Tarifa, voy a tener a un coche, así que tendré más flexibilidad. Cualquier consejo sobre otras cosas que debería ver son bienvenidos también ¡Deseando que llegue ya el viaje y registrar algunos caches en los nuevos países!

Por si no os habéis fijado, Love es una lackey ... ¡Es vuestro momento! :)

Edited by J_Rover

AlfonsoyRosa - I like combining the two. But I also like to use geocaching as a tour guide to find the interesting places that aren't in the tourist books.

J_Rover - thanks for the translation. My Spanish is very limited. :)

OMG There is an officer on deck! :grin:

Hi Annie,

Not long ago we were a few days in Barcelona.

Perhaps the most beautiful and tourism is the "Barrio Gótico" (Gothic area), you will discover a lot of places with a lot of magic.

If you have enough time you should visit Cathedral and La Sagrada Familia but if anything you should not miss is the Catedral del Mar "Cathedral of the Sea".

Interesting places are: Casa Batlló, La Pedrera and Parque Güell, around all this sightseeings you will find differents caches.

Enjoy your trip and I´ll see you in Lisbon.

Edited by Orus

MiTesoro - great cache suggestion - that sculpture is amazing! I'll add it to my list.

Orus - I will be staying near the Barrio Gótico so that should be easy to discover that area and I'll add the cathedrals to my list. :) I'm hoping with jetlag I can be up early enough to catch the sunrise at Parque Güell, but we'll see when the time comes. :)

Hi, Love!

Algeciras isn’t a beautiful place. It’s an industrial area, no touristic at all, even ugly. Why do you go there?

There are many inmigrants from Morocco and ths standard of living is low. We don’t recommend to spend time in that area. However, there is good fish in Palmones village (GC38W0H). In Tarifa town atmosphere is much better, you can find there the most southerly cache of Europe (GC2GTNY), it’s one of the best places for scuba or surfing in the Mediterranean sea. It’s a very, very windy beach.

Barcelona is a nice and touristic city. If your visit will be short, we recommend you to be focused in the caches near the touristic places.

Sagrada Familia: GC379KA

Ramblas, góthic to Colón (stop for a cofee in the Bosque de las Hadas): from GC22KA5 to GC17A24. Stop at the cathedral (GC22K9Q) and at the Pi church (GC231KN). Enjoy the area by the daylight, but not by night.

Montjuich (caches around GC15HK4): good for walking a lot.

La Pedrera (GC3HTW9).

Parque Güell (GC24HBM).

These are the basic places, but don`t forget the port area and the beach.

We hope these sugestions help you. If so, we will ask for your help if we go to Seattle!

AlfonsoyRosa - these are great tips, thank you! We're mainly only staying in a hotel in Algeciras - we'll be taking the ferry to Morocco for a day trip, and then discovering Gibraltar before I fly out of Malaga. There weren't that many hotel listings in Tarifa, otherwise we would have likely stayed there. :)

I'm always happy to share tips on Seattle! First tip is always to come visit us at HQ. ;)

Hi Love,

I'll be visiting Barcelona around that time too :)

Having been there before, I can recommend the trip up the funicular to the top of Tibidabo to log this vitual - the first in Spain - amazing up there! Barcelona - cache is named after the city, because you can see it all from GZ :D

When we arrive later next month, these are all #1 on my To Do list:

Montjuïc Stone (Mont Jovis)- Earthcache

Gaudí's Crazy Ideas: Sagrada Familia Columns- Earthcache

El tesoro del gran brujo- a Wherigo, which you could do while up on Tibidabo finding the one I previously recommended, Barcelona

While in Malaga, if you're up for something extreme this one is good (a friend has found it) Memoria de Iván- but even I'm not for something that extreme. :laughing:

Have fun - are you going up as far north as Platja d' Aro, we've been there before, so I can certainly suggest some for you to do in that area :D

Griff.

Edited by Griff Grof

Thanks for the great tips, Giff Grof - I was looking at the Barcelona cache earlier thinking it was in a cool spot. So many great places to see! Barcelona will be the farthest north I make it unfortunately since I won't have a car and am lacking on time. Hope you have a great time on your trip!