Stone placed over station mark

billwallace

A stone was placed over Villa 1883. From the description, it sounds like this stone does not hold any position info ... it is not like the surface marks for buried stations - it is only a covering. Does that sound correct?

I read the description and got the impression that the stone replaces the redwood posts with tacks. It doesn't specify that it holds a position, but the question is why drill a hole and fill it and put a triangle around the hole and closely describe its position, if it doesn't hold a position. We have found several marks that have surface stones with no markings that are used to cover and protect the marks (disks), but they are unmarked stones and not noted in the description.

John

A stone was placed over Villa 1883. From the description, it sounds like this stone does not hold any position info ... it is not like the surface marks for buried stations - it is only a covering. Does that sound correct?

I read the description and got the impression that the stone replaces the redwood posts with tacks. It doesn't specify that it holds a position, but the question is why drill a hole and fill it and put a triangle around the hole and closely describe its position, if it doesn't hold a position. We have found several marks that have surface stones with no markings that are used to cover and protect the marks (disks), but they are unmarked stones and not noted in the description.

John

if that's the case i shouldn't disturb it ... i was thinking of getting a pik of the underground mark

thnx

John

if that's the case i shouldn't disturb it ... i was thinking of getting a pik of the underground mark

thnx

Term "Tied off" I read to mean the original location was referenced somehow (off-set stakes etc), a new underground mark set and a surface mark consisting of a stone with drill hole and copper wire at the original location It does hold a position, both the undergound dsk and the surface stone are at original position. So do not remove or disturb the surface mark (stone) or you will be destroying the station.

Edited by Z15

Term "Tied off" I read to mean the original location was referenced somehow (off-set stakes etc), a new underground mark set and a surface mark consisting of a stone with drill hole and copper wire at the original location It does hold a position, both the undergound dsk and the surface stone are at original position. So do not remove or disturb the surface mark (stone) or you will be destroying the station.

That's why I asked - the first time i read it i didn't get that impression but the second and third time .... that's when i thought of y'all and knew you wouldn't lead me astray.

That's why I asked - the first time i read it i didn't get that impression but the second and third time .... that's when i thought of y'all and knew you wouldn't lead me astray.

Its good to ask. Sometimes these older desciptions cause people with experience to question what it is they were trying to convey.

Is the NGS site down? Tried to retrieve the current datasheets for Villa 1883 and Villa 2 yesterday and just now and get a 'timed out' message. Also tried to come in the backdoor via DSWorld and get an 'error' screen.

Anyway, my understanding is that a station with a underground component is still valid even if the surface monument is gone or disturbed - just takes a bit of extra work. '-----do not remove or disturb the surface mark (stone) or you will be destroying the station. -----'

kayakbird

Is the NGS site down? Tried to retrieve the current datasheets for Villa 1883 and Villa 2 yesterday and just now and get a 'timed out' message. Also tried to come in the backdoor via DSWorld and get an 'error' screen.

Anyway, my understanding is that a station with a underground component is still valid even if the surface monument is gone or disturbed - just takes a bit of extra work. '-----do not remove or disturb the surface mark (stone) or you will be destroying the station. -----'

kayakbird

It may have been late yesterday afternoon to this morning, as I was using my android app and getting no results. But it's back up now. :)